Urgent 1d Decision: Used Mark II N or New Mark III?

binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
edited June 17, 2007 in Cameras
i have been desiring the mark ii n for several months, but recently i realized that the mark iii is actually now within my price range and the mark iii has become my dream. i really want all the new features the the mark iii adds over the mark ii n, but i don't know if they're worth the extra $1000+. i called my local camera store today to see when i could get one and they put me on a list. then the salesperson told me that they just got two lightly used mark ii n's in for $2,800 (a bit over $3000 with taxes) which would save me at least $300 from a new mark ii n and $1,500 from a mark iii.

what would you do? buy the used body? buy it, planning to resell it later and get the mark iii when it's available? wait for the mark iii to be more available?

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    binghott wrote:
    what would you do? buy the used body? buy it, planning to resell it later and get the mark iii when it's available? wait for the mark iii to be more available?

My take on this: if you buy IIn now with the intention to resell it around Xmas, you will most likely lose anywhere between $300 and $500. Whether this kind of "rental" is worth its salt - you decide. ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    My take on this: if you buy IIn now with the intention to resell it around Xmas, you will most likely lose anywhere between $300 and $500. Whether this kind of "rental" is worth its salt - you decide. ne_nau.gif

good point, thanks! i think even $500 for a 6 month "rental" wouldn't be a bad deal.

more advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    What are you shooting now? Is it sufficient? It is a tough choice there. Having the money available, I'd definitely end up with a Mk III--my budget being what it is, a used Mk II (N or no) will be a stretch. Good luck.

p.s. I am jealous of the dilemma you have.
  • rbrugmanrbrugman Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    There is a MK II in the Canon Flea Market right now:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=63534

I have no experience with that high-end of a camera so I can't really even give you my 2 cents.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    thanks for your comments, i just picked up my 1d mark II n! yippeeeee!!!