Advice needed: DAR concert hall (DC) photography

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited June 13, 2007 in Technique
I was fortunate to get a chance to shoot a band that I like (Blue October) in Boston and the tour manager and management were impressed enough to offer me a photo pass to an upcoming shoot in DC where I will be moving in a few weeks.

At that last shoot, I used the Canon 350D and 50/1.8 exclusively. Ended up with a pretty high keeper rate for the combo - about 40 shots in all. I had meant to use the Sigma 30 as well for a wider perspective but, this being my first shoot, did not have the best time management. My problem with the first concert was that their lighting was terrible - lots of red, very little else. Ended up shooting at iso 800-1600 and f/1.8-2.5 to get shutter speeds of 125 or so. Had to do a lot in PS with noiseninja and, for BW, used a red filter in PS to try to get more detail.

First shoot:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52920

So, now I'm in need of advice for the upcoming shoot. The concert is to take place at the DAR concert hall. Has anyone shot here before? If so, what kind of reach would I need? I may get the 85/1.8 by then depending on finances. Also, for the wider shots, do you leave the pit after the second song and head to the balcony for shots?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
E

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 13, 2007
    some neat pics but I'm not one to give any kind of advice here-

might need to move this to techniques for a more appropriate category?-