Photoshop, Rule of Thirds

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited June 19, 2007 in Finishing School
Well, I have to believe that someone else on dgrin (besides me) didn't know about this, so I'm posting it.

One of the big advantages of digital is that you can crop a mediocre picture and make a better one out of it. One way to do that is to compose your picture so that items of visual interest fall into the intersection of imaginary gridlines that fall 1/3 of the way around the picture.

Far better to do this when you compose your picture, of course. But I'm not that clever.:dunno

Photoshop can be made to show you the actual gridlines, so if you're spacially challenged (as I am) and don't want to hold a ruler up to your LCD, you can use this technique to guide your cropping.

First, go to Preferences --> Guides, Grids, and Slices. Under "grid" choose a color you want. I like yellow because it stands out. Change grid lines to "every 33.33" "percent."

162647671-S.jpg

Now open a picture that needs help. Here's one of George Eastman's funeral marker on Lake Avenue in Rochester,NY:

162645245-S.jpg

Needs help! That funeral marker is smack dab in the middle of the picture! BORING! :rolleyes

We'll turn on our gridlines like so:
162651135-S.jpg

And we get the following:
162645220-S.jpg

Just as I thought! The marker's in the middle. No wonder everyone's yawning. :doh

Now we crop until the marker's where we want it (Apple-Z to undo!)

162645193-S.jpg

Bullseye! Do some last minute tweaking and turn off the gridlines (the same way you turned them on) and congratulate yourself on your compositional genius.:scratch:D

162657303-M.jpg

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 13, 2007
    Nice tutorial on cropping by 1/3s.

I must confess that I just sort of eye ball the composition myself. Maybe I should give this a whirl.

Some cameras that accept interchangeable viewing screens, have a model with lines in the 1/3 corners so you can compose that way in the camera viewfinder toothumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • JanieJanie Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    Thanks for the Photoshop tip! I'm sure it will come in handy to know!
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Thanks for that tip!. Normally I use a custom shape.
    This way though every time I open up a new image, the grid is already up and it shows us that either the shot was (hopefully) composed right or it needs some love.

Instead of ctrl/cmd+z though:
    Double click on your background layer then select 'OK'.

163592034-L.jpg

This will unlock your background layer so you can now move your image wherever perfection lies, (the grids stay attached to the canvas) then your favorite crop method.
    Just select the move tool (v) to grab your 'new layer'.
    163592022-S.jpg

Can barely see the grids on this screenshot. They are there though.

-Jon
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    I am sooooo happy you posted this! I knew there had to be an easy way to do this. Thank you! :ivar
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thanks for that tip!. Normally I use a custom shape.
    This way though every time I open up a new image, the grid is already up and it shows us that either the shot was (hopefully) composed right or it needs some love.

Instead of ctrl/cmd+z though:
    Double click on your background layer then select 'OK'.

163592034-L.jpg

This will unlock your background layer so you can now move your image wherever perfection lies, (the grids stay attached to the canvas) then your favorite crop method.
    Just select the move tool (v) to grab your 'new layer'.
    163592022-S.jpg

Can barely see the grids on this screenshot. They are there though.

-Jon

I found a tutorial that walks through building the custom shape and using it to make crops. I did the setup and found I don't use it. It's easier for me to eyeball the crops and then Command-' to see the grid lines.

PS -- I wish I could take photos like you got there. bowdown.gif