Some more Lax...

wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
edited June 19, 2007 in Sports
Got asked by friends to come take some shots of their son's team--which made it to the state (Maryland) semi-finals for boys junior (just before high school) rec league lacrosse. Was a beautiful day--and I think there is nothing better than going to a lax game.

The Crofton boys won--and also won the next day in the state finals (bu I was at a different tournament. Got a couple I thought I would share.

As always--would really appreciate any comments/critiques...

161074192-M.jpg

161038577-M.jpg

161127216-M.jpg

161283943-M.jpg

161126930-M.jpg
Regards

Will

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Love the last & the first ones thumb.gif
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Thanks Gus...
    Regards

Will
    Will, these look good--The only thing I would do is tighten up the crops in all of these

Good action and colors
    D-50, D2H,D300
    Nikon 50mm 1.8D
    Sigma 120-300 2.8
    Sigma 70-300-4-5.6
    my Galleries
    http://oldtime.smugmug.com/
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=6707
  • JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Not bad, I would crop them much tighter to isolate the action.

#2 and #4 are only good if you actually know the kids since theres no action to really support the image and keep it strong, if you have the entire image head to toe it would be stronger than 1/2 cropped.

Maybe increase the in camera exposure compensation to brighten up the faces a bit. Also a little sharpening would help a lot.

They are not bad especially if you were volunteered at the last minute.

Unless your lens is keeping you restricted by distance I would try to fill the frame as full as possible and shoot vertical as much as possible to keep the framing tight and isolated.

If you have any questions or if I can help in any way please email me, I would be more than happy to help.

Joe
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    JoeL&Oldtime--thanks for the comments.

Regarding pix 2 and 4 --2 is the son of the person who asked me to take the shots--4 is the son of another family we know well. Both of those photos were well received by the families. Which is kinda what I've been learning--is that you have to take some of the "you have to be a mother to love that face" kind of shots.

Regarding the cropping--I 've been leaving them just a touch large--since I can never predict what size print customers are going to want. Invariably, when I crop it close, I end up having to change out the photo later during the proof delay to get everything to fit nicely. Guess I should crop closer before posting here--just haven't felt like taking the extra time.

Other comments are valuable. I'll definately keep in mind...
    Regards

Will