Ultra Rare

SerratorSerrator Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
edited June 15, 2007 in Holy Macro
Hey guys,

I am posting this pic of a hyper rare find by a coworker of mine. He allowed me the other day to use my macro lens to take some shots. I have also typed up the cool story behind his find here if your interested:

http://flickr.com/photos/serrator/545152720/

545152720_202fb124c2_b.jpg
My Photo Playground:
www.flickr.com/photos/serrator

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    Serrator wrote:
    Hey guys,

I am posting this pic of a hyper rare find by a coworker of mine. He allowed me the other day to use my macro lens to take some shots. I have also typed up the cool story behind his find here if your interested:

http://flickr.com/photos/serrator/545152720/

Great Story Serrator :D
    Gosh it stayed lost for a long, long, time.
    He was a lucky guy to find it, and you were lucky that he allowed you to share his treasure by photographing it :D

This shots are extremely sharp, showing great detail on both sides.
    Excellent work clap.gif ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    mwink.gif Great story. I've just become the holder of a couple of (maybe) rate coins. One that has a validation with it and the other with what appears to be Arabic written all over it. My first step is to photograph them (hopefully professionally) and then get them appraised. There are also some rings with stones in them. Your friend was awfully trusting, something that I wouldn't be, of just sending the item to someone he didn't know. I'm going to try to do a search right now for the little device that allows fairly professional lighting to macro or micro images. Thanks again, bsvirginian
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    Wow, what story! I think your pic is excellent. I looked at the original in Flicker.

Finding out how it got there may be impossible. It could have been there since Indian times or the previous owner of your friend's property could have dropped it or even buried it with a few other items as a time capsule. I suppose your friend has already talked to the local historical society, they usually know things about the area that most of us don't.

Sotheby's is a good idea for selling it. There also is Doyle New York. They have a good web site. I mention Doyle as some friends of mine have had a few items autioned by them with no problems.

Thanks for sharing let us know what happens.

Jill
    Jill
  • DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    Great story! Makes me want to go out and start digging. :)

It reminds me of the best thing my husband and I ever found-a diamond tennis bracelet worth $400-$600! I decided the memory of finding it on our honeymoon was worth more than the cash, so I kept it rather than selling it. (It was in a secluded area of a very touristy place, so finding the owner would have been impossible)

Might have made a different decision if it was worth a million though...rolleyes1.gif

Nice pics and thanks for sharing the story with us.
    ~Debbie~
    Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
    100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes
  • SerratorSerrator Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    Thanks guys for checking it out, it is a weird feeling to hold something like that in your hand knowing the history...who knows who could have owned this over the centuries and it's travels.

-Skippy...thanks for your words! He asked me if I wanted to take it home to shoot it, I said most certainly not!!! It scares me to even hold it and there is no way I want to be reponsible for something like that.

-Jill...I will pass your info on to Jim. Thanks.

-bsvirginian...best of luck on your treasure!
    My Photo Playground:
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    that is pretty f'in' cool.

Now the next question is, could there be anything else in that backyard?
  • SerratorSerrator Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    -Debbie...wonderful find you had!

-mmroden...we are keeping our eye on the property, perhaps he will do some more digging in the future.

Here is another pic showing the scale:

550454030_4b18278304_b.jpg
    My Photo Playground:
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    eek7.gif Wow
    Loved the photos and antiques iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery