Options

Gymnastics with the Canon 85mm f1.8 Lens

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited February 14, 2005 in Sports
i really enjoyed my sony 828, but one of the things i was never NEVER able to do was to take a decent image of my son during a gymnastics competition. The lighting in at these events simply "sucks". You cant use a flash and i refuse to lug around a tripod. Finally after thousands of images of my other children im finally able to post my oldest son ( he will only let me take a picture of him during gymnastics ). Taken in Las Vegas ( the team took 6th ). im still learning how to use the 20D...... im trying to get accustomed to different lenses.... but for a first time out with a new lens - I LIKE IT!!!
15800704-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 13, 2005
    Nice capture! The 85 seems to do pretty well in those low light situations.
    Might have to investigate :D

This image could benefit with cropping. Hope you don't mind but I took a
    stab at it.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    Troy

You, Steve and me - all 828 to 20d sports photog converts!
    I love my 85mm as well. I wonder if you could also make use of the 135mm f2. It would give you more reach and still be fast. I think I'd like to add it by next winters indoor soccer season.

Good stuff, and congrats to the team.

ann
  • Options
    BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    Add one more convert in 2 weeks. 828 to 20D w/ 70-200 IS L f/2.8
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    Add one more convert in 2 weeks. 828 to 20D w/ 70-200 IS L f/2.8
    That is what I use for most of the sports I shoot and I love it. Sometimes I do use my 24-70 L alot for hoops too and I am always playing with my 16-35 L with just about any sport, but for what I need and as much as I love my wide angle lens, most of the stuff itsnt useable (althought still looks cool for myself)
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 14, 2005
    Very nice Troy thumb.gifthumb.gif

Looks like you were far enough away that you might have been able to use the 100mm, or 135mm F2.0 lenses. But, I have to admit I am enamored with that 85mm F1.8 lens. After all the years of trying to shoot indoor sports and finally being able to get decent results, they'll have to pry this lens out of my dead hands.....lol

As Ann mentioned, we've got 3 ex-828 shooters, now shooting sports. So we can all help each other. Plus, we get to take advantage of info/feedback posted by the other sports shooters here at Dgrin clap.gif Ya can't beat that with a stick :lol

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    thanx Ann, I really like this lens alot and in a few weeks soccer starts up again and i look forward to trying it out then also......

troy

Ann McRae wrote:
    Troy

You, Steve and me - all 828 to 20d sports photog converts!
    I love my 85mm as well. I wonder if you could also make use of the 135mm f2. It would give you more reach and still be fast. I think I'd like to add it by next winters indoor soccer season.

Good stuff, and congrats to the team.

ann
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    thanx Steve - i think i might try the 135 f2.0 next but I hope i dont develo PRIME LENS LUST!!!!!!

troy
    Very nice Troy thumb.gifthumb.gif

Looks like you were far enough away that you might have been able to use the 100mm, or 135mm F2.0 lenses. But, I have to admit I am enamored with that 85mm F1.8 lens. After all the years of trying to shoot indoor sports and finally being able to get decent results, they'll have to pry this lens out of my dead hands.....lol

As Ann mentioned, we've got 3 ex-828 shooters, now shooting sports. So we can all help each other. Plus, we get to take advantage of info/feedback posted by the other sports shooters here at Dgrin clap.gif Ya can't beat that with a stick :lol

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve