Is this idea worth pursuing?

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited June 17, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I took these today, but stuck them in the "Dog a Day" thread because I thought they were more appropriate there. I don't think any of these shots are LPS material.

They're of my dog Clara and her friend Oliver playing with a tennis ball.

It's easy enough to try a reshoot, and I was wondering if something like this is worth pursuing? :scratch

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=574537&postcount=343

Comments

• PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    I think there's potential...
    richtersl wrote:
    I took these today, but stuck them in the "Dog a Day" thread because I thought they were more appropriate there. I don't think any of these shots are LPS material.

They're of my dog Clara and her friend Oliver playing with a tennis ball.

It's easy enough to try a reshoot, and I was wondering if something like this is worth pursuing? headscratch.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=574537&postcount=343
    richtersl wrote:
    Clara (Border Collie) and her friend Oliver (American Eskimo Spitz) having fun on a summer evening.

quote]

The second is my fav. But, it's early and I'd keep shooting (this coming from a guy who hasn't even fired a shot for this theme).

paul
  • JanieJanie Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    A fun series of shots. I loved the white dog's expression in the second photo!
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Hi Linda,

Yes I think it's worth a reshoot. Dogs are great at showing their happiness. I would suggest that you get down at their level. Maybe sit and shoot them coming at you.

Jill
    Jill
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    You're not there yet, but certainly worth pursuing. I agree a lower in-your-face angle would be more interesting. Beautiful dogs! Is that an Eskimo or a Sammy? Can't tell for sure. Love the border collie....they get such 'crazed' expressions of joy on their face...I'd focus on him/her.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    You're not there yet, but certainly worth pursuing. I agree a lower in-your-face angle would be more interesting. Beautiful dogs! Is that an Eskimo or a Sammy? Can't tell for sure. Love the border collie....they get such 'crazed' expressions of joy on their face...I'd focus on him/her.
    The white one's an Eskimo Spitz and belongs to my neighbor. The Border Collie's mine and is a nut case. rolleyes1.gif

I tried a few lower angle shots and almost got mowed over. rolleyes1.gif Many were not in focus or were soft because the dogs moved too quickly out of the focus range. I'll have to change settings on my camera and use the servo mode.

The weather will be nice outside today. Wish me luck!
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    i too like your second one. i bet it would look good to tightly crop at the bottom and left so the focus is even more on the white dog.

my first idea was my dog too - running out to greet me when i get home - he's such a momma's boy.
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
    edited June 16, 2007
    OK. Here's what I came up with...
    ...I'm still working out some kinks, though. And may have to "force" my dog into another game of frisbee tomorrow. rolleyes1.gif

I don't know of any of these really evoke a feeling, though. ne_nau.gif

#1. "I Drool for Frisbee". --> is there anything I can try in PS to get this a little clearer?
    163594140-L.jpg

#2. "Oh Goody! Time for Frisbee!!"
    163594091-L.jpg

#3. "Tired, Hot, and Satisfied!"
    163594057-L.jpg
  • Xia_KeXia_Ke Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Looks like you're running into the same thing as me Linda. Nice shots but, they just don't convey Joy to me. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to suggest to help bring it out ne_nau.gif This is going to be one ROUGH round headscratch.gif
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

"Challenge yourself! You will have days of discouragement and days of success, but the only way to fail, is to quit!" - Emily (Greensquared)
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Hi Linda

Nice shots, I like the 2nd one on your link, the dogs look they are playing tag.

I might suggest eye level and some panning. When I think of dogs playing, I also envision children (or adults) playing Joyfully with their companion. The look of happiness eminates from the human as well as from the companion...Like when a child has rec'd that much wanted dog for so long...The Joy, Happiness, and Excitement just is so existent in their faces and their eyes well up with emotion also...

Regards and Best Wishes
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited June 17, 2007
    Xia_Ke wrote:
    Looks like you're running into the same thing as me Linda. Nice shots but, they just don't convey Joy to me. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to suggest to help bring it out ne_nau.gif This is going to be one ROUGH round headscratch.gif
    Thanks. I think you're right. Now that I look at them again this morning they're basically just doggie snapshots. headscratch.gif

If I can get her airborne catching the frisbee it may convey something, but she's smart enough to know where to stand to pluck it out of the air. rolleyes1.gif

It sure is one tough round so far.ne_nau.gif There's still a week left, though. mwink.gif
    edited June 17, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Hi Linda

Nice shots, I like the 2nd one on your link, the dogs look they are playing tag.

I might suggest eye level and some panning. When I think of dogs playing, I also envision children (or adults) playing Joyfully with their companion. The look of happiness eminates from the human as well as from the companion...Like when a child has rec'd that much wanted dog for so long...The Joy, Happiness, and Excitement just is so existent in their faces and their eyes well up with emotion also...

Regards and Best Wishes
    Donna

Thanks, Donna. I tried some eye level panning with the servo mode turned on plus multi-exposure turned on and didn't get anything really exciting. :cry And what looked good came out slightly out of focus, which may have had something to do with me forgetting to turn the image stabilzation on. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif