Options

Tepusquet Canyon

TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
edited June 19, 2007 in Journeys
As I am out of school for the summer, I've been able to catch up on my riding lately. Wednesday, braving our first 100 degree day, I decided to make a 350 mile loop to the coast on what is rapidly becoming one of my favorite routes. As we left, the temperature gauge on my GS read 77. It soon rose to 85. . . .

About 70 miles from home, after cruising down Hwys 33 & 166, one encounters a nearly anonymous little road, Tepusquet Canyon. It is lined with beautiful Oaks and other trees providing canopies of shade over twisty, narrow ribbons of asphalt.

162836882-M.jpg

162836122-M.jpg

After quite a few miles on Tepusquet Cyn, we turned on Foxen Canyon Road and were greeted by this vista:

162839111-M.jpg

This is also a beautiful area, dotted by prestigious California wineries.

162839976-M.jpg

Foxen Cyn is wider but nonetheless twisty. It's also a spirited ride.

162841064-M.jpg

Soon we turned and passed the eponymous Hwy 154 Bridge, a landmark indicating that one is about to land at a well-traveled biker hangout, the Cold Spring Tavern. This was my first trip here, but my riding buddy assured me that there isn't a park within blocks on the weekend. On Wednesday, however, we nearly had the place to ourselves.

162841630-M.jpg

162845770-L.jpg

162842030-M.jpg

We arrived at the restaurant 3 and 1/2 hours after departure, but 30 minutes before they opened for lunch. A brief stroll around the grounds revealed some interesting country charm.

162842583-M.jpg

Among other things, apparently the original Ojai Jail, constructed entirely of 2X4s.

162843179-L.jpg

162842902-M.jpg

162846327-M.jpg

This fellow rolled by on his Hyabusa, but seemed somewhat less interested in the tavern than we.

Lots of still-life photo ops in the patio dining area:

162844538-L.jpg

162844783-M.jpg

162846571-M.jpg

162847352-M.jpg

162848037-M.jpg

For lunch we both had sirloin burgers topped with a decades-old secret family chili recipe. I'd give it a 6, though it stuck with me throughout the afternoon and into the evening. . . .

162848480-M.jpg

After lunch, I was greeted by this passenger on my front Tourance.

We soon met up with Hwy 101 where the temps dropped to 65 degrees and we were greeted by a thick marine layer. I needed another bag for my trip to Wisconsin, so we dropped by BMW of Ventura. I have a BMW dry bag already, but settled on a Helen2Wheels bag for my second. It's a very nice, waterproof, top loading duffle. I was pretty impressed; if you haven't seen one, you might give them a look.

162850068-M.jpg

Here's a GS all loaded and ready for a multi-state off-road trip (with one of the aforementioned H2Ws bags.

162853499-M.jpg

Simon and Lisa Thomas happened to be in the shop getting one of their bikes serviced. You can check out their adventures here.

After our purchases were complete and visiting done, we headed back north on the 101 headed for the 150 and the 33 home.

162857514-L.jpg

At one of our stops I was greeted by this happy little waterfall.

162862959-M.jpg

Resting.

162854085-M.jpg

Hwy 33 has a couple of short little tunnels, just short enough not to allow your eyes to adjust to the light: blind going in, blind coming out. Don't misjudge the corner. . . .

Coming out of the mountains, as we got closer to home, the temps rose to exactly the predicted mark, 100 degrees. But with a mesh jacket and a camelback, it was hardly noticeable. Wait till it hits 107, 109. . . .

162864622-M.jpg

This little fellow was obviously delirious with the heat and thought he could make it through my hand guard vent. He fought bravely and I offered mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, but it was too late.

It sure was a fun day (for me, less so for the wasp), characterized as much by photo stops as by twisting curves. Thanks for reading. In the unlikely event that you'd like to see more, the rest of the photos can be found here. Thanks for reading.
"Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    clap.gifLove it, looks like you had a great ride! I'm glad to see more AdvRider-style trip reports here on Dgrin; keep 'em coming - thumb.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Tom,
    Great series! thumb.gif

Funny, Ojai is our back yard, but I didn't know about that bridge. I gotta take a ride there! deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited June 18, 2007
    I just officially want to say you suck...for having all that time to ride :D

I've had supper at the CST before. The thing I took away from there was the
    home made bread served with dinner. Some mighty nice & tasty stuff.

Thanks for sharing! Oh, and I had the chance to spend some time with Helen
    at the '49er. She's a real kick in the pants. Terrific person.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    [snip]I just officially want to say you suck....[/snip]

Yes. Yes, I do. Right out loud.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. mwink.gif

I think Helen recently had a close encounter with the pavement. She's apparently all right, but it's always a worry. I've met her, but just to say hi. Everyone who hangs with her says she's great.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site