20D + 28-300L Mounting Issue

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited June 16, 2007 in Cameras
My 28-300 lens mounts and locks to my 20D. However the camera body can still turn a small amount relative to the lens while coupled to the lens. Less that 1 degree maybe. I don't recall this happening with any other lens.

The locking rings on the camera and lens are both tight, so I am not sure how to fix this. I guess it could cause some image quality issue if the lens was to move during exposure.

Anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 16, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    My 28-300 lens mounts and locks to my 20D. However the camera body can still turn a small amount relative to the lens while coupled to the lens. Less that 1 degree maybe. I don't recall this happening with any other lens.

The locking rings on the camera and lens are both tight, so I am not sure how to fix this. I guess it could cause some image quality issue if the lens was to move during exposure.

Anybody have any ideas?

I haver at least two lenses with a slight roational "play" after they latch. As long as the lens has a firm mount otherwise, and as long as the play does not allow the lens to electrically decouple from the body, there should be no image quality issues.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I haver at least two lenses with a slight roational "play" after they latch. As long as the lens has a firm mount otherwise, and as long as the play does not allow the lens to electrically decouple from the body, there should be no image quality issues.

I have a couple of lens that do that also, never had a problem from it.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    It shouldn't be a problem. My new 70-200/2.8 does that & still takes amazingly sharp images.
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone.