163421149-L.jpg

163495551-L.jpg
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    C&C welcome as always! Emily
    Emily, from my POV, colors are too saturated and bright for the graveyard, thus invoking unrealistic feeling towards the whole thing...ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Anything for a photo? Don’t go down that path.
    Robert
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Robert wrote:
    Anything for a photo? Don’t go down that path.

Sayeth the man who stands under a bull.
    Emily

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Nothing wrong with the subject matter- it is a part of our lives which several have had to deal with.

I don't think the photos really lead to any emotion though. ne_nau.gif
    I also agree with Nikolai that the photos are overly saturated.

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited June 16, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Nothing wrong with the subject matter- it is a part of our lives which several have had to deal with.

I don't think the photos really lead to any emotion though. ne_nau.gif
    I also agree with Nikolai that the photos are overly saturated.

Aaron

Thanks for the comments - I'll work on the color. Maybe it takes a mama to be affected by these things? I know how sorrowful they make me feel.
    Emily

• stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    I 'felt' your photos.

I reacted more to the composition of the first one, just because (to me) it is more in line with the visiting a gravesite. I'm maybe off to the side or walking through, focusing neither here nor there but just being there and looking down as I walk through or stop. But the photo seems top-heavy, and that sort of distracts me from fully letting myself get 'lost' in 'feeling' the picture.

The oversaturation really makes the words of both pictures *pop* and that grabs me. But it is fleeting. I wonder if it might have more staying power were the pictures in black/white versus color, too. I know that I'd have had a stronger emotional reaction to the second if there were a prop or something there ... maybe a small, loved stuffed toy or infant shoe or something to make it more 'real' to me.

ETA I just saw your post above. And I think you might be right - it's definitely something that I may have viewed differently before I had my own kids.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    If I had to choose I would go with #2. So simple, yet so intense "Our Baby"...I have to agree with some...the brightness of the colors for some reason does not fit the mood. When I think of something like this I tend to think of a more somber mood.

When I visit a cemetery, my eye usually goes quickly to the grays of the headstone, which indicates to me "time", and then my eye is drawn quickly and my mood saddens when accompanied by a little angel or something along that nature. It makes me very curious about this little person, that now lays sleeping for eternity, then it makes me wonder about the parents and how they must have felt....

One thing that makes me sadder is to see a little gravestone, that you can visually tell has not been visited in a very long time. "Forgotten"

Ok am I rambling again eek7.gif , but I hope I got across what I'm trying to say...My apologies...:cry

Regards
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Sayeth the man who stands under a bull.
    Sayeth the man that lay down in front of a bull - but that’s not what I meant.
    I don’t care if anybody jumps down a cliff and takes a shot before hitting the ground, but I don’t agree with exploiting other people’s pain for one’s own gain.

Anyway, it was a good natured bull. We had a long chat before I took the pictures ;)
    Robert
    edited June 17, 2007
    Robert wrote:
    Sayeth the man that lay down in front of a bull - but that’s not what I meant.
    I don’t care if anybody jumps down a cliff and takes a shot before hitting the ground, but I don’t agree with exploiting other people’s pain for one’s own gain.

Anyway, it was a good natured bull. We had a long chat before I took the pictures ;)

I agree, Robert, on exploiting people's pain. However, this shot was taken at a historic cemetery, one that sits high on a hill in Rome, GA. It is breath-taking, I was there before dawn, and felt such an incredible peace just being there. It was a soft sunrise, birds singing and two stray cats walked with me (or were they angels in disguise?). God and I communed that morning...and it left me feeling exhilarated. Perhaps that is why I wanted to make the colors POP....because of the beauty I saw and felt. It made me feel sorrow, timeless, long enduring, beautiful sorrow of our world...and yet peace and joy at the same time. I'll play with the color, but will only change it if doing so is what I really want the image to say.

Emily
    PS. You did say the bull was "sentimental", didn't you? :D
    Emily

edited June 17, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    If I had to choose I would go with #2. So simple, yet so intense "Our Baby"...I have to agree with some...the brightness of the colors for some reason does not fit the mood. When I think of something like this I tend to think of a more somber mood.

When I visit a cemetery, my eye usually goes quickly to the grays of the headstone, which indicates to me "time", and then my eye is drawn quickly and my mood saddens when accompanied by a little angel or something along that nature. It makes me very curious about this little person, that now lays sleeping for eternity, then it makes me wonder about the parents and how they must have felt....

One thing that makes me sadder is to see a little gravestone, that you can visually tell has not been visited in a very long time. "Forgotten"

Ok am I rambling again eek7.gif , but I hope I got across what I'm trying to say...My apologies...:cry

Regards
    Donna

Thanks, Donna. I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts and feelings! The cemetery is very old and neglected, but a recent grant will hopefully restore this beautiful landmark.
    Emily
    Emily

edited June 17, 2007
    stirfry wrote:
    I 'felt' your photos.

I reacted more to the composition of the first one, just because (to me) it is more in line with the visiting a gravesite. I'm maybe off to the side or walking through, focusing neither here nor there but just being there and looking down as I walk through or stop. But the photo seems top-heavy, and that sort of distracts me from fully letting myself get 'lost' in 'feeling' the picture.

The oversaturation really makes the words of both pictures *pop* and that grabs me. But it is fleeting. I wonder if it might have more staying power were the pictures in black/white versus color, too. I know that I'd have had a stronger emotional reaction to the second if there were a prop or something there ... maybe a small, loved stuffed toy or infant shoe or something to make it more 'real' to me.

ETA I just saw your post above. And I think you might be right - it's definitely something that I may have viewed differently before I had my own kids.

Thanks so much for the input. I thought briefly about props, but decided against it. Whatever I did for this particular challenge, I wanted it to be genuine instead of contrived.

Thank you for "feeling" them though...it made my day and is what every photographer wants to hear. :)

Emily
    Emily

• mwaltersmwalters Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    #2 for me, although I'd be interested to see a mono version. As you said, introduction of props would be too contrived and would only work if they were already in place.

Matthew