Options

Feedback and Suggestions Request

ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
edited February 15, 2005 in Finishing School
I currently have an A80. Nice little camera for it's intended purpose, but a D70's on my horizons in the near future. Anyhoo, a friend of mine's band played a few nights ago, and to aid with future albums/website I offered to take some pictures. The camera is by no means an ideal one - I realize there's plenty of hi-iso noise and some soft focus due to longish shutters. My idea here is how far can PS take them?

Here's what I have so far - all feedback, ideas, suggestions, and comments welcomed!

Before
15816669-M.jpg

After
15816667-M.jpg
Took some liberty with colors, figure it can't hurt as it's far from ideal anyways! :D Some USM and despeckle, levels, and spotty use of blur tools (among other things). But not in that order.

Before;
15816670-M.jpg

After;
15816671-M.jpg
A bit less dramtic evolution. Any cropping ideas? That marshall stack to his right is distracting me a bit. :scratch

Before;
15816674-M.jpg

After;
15816673-M.jpg
Same story, levels, despeckle (for iso noise) and usm.

Before;
15816676-M.jpg

After;
15816678-M.jpg
Less level hooligans, softened up alot of the backround details, such as drum hardware and music stand. Rest the same....usm, despeckle......

So, give me some opinions! :ear

Thanks,
Chris
"There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005

Before
    15816669-S.jpg

After
    15816667-S.jpg
    I'm not sure about this one. It feels like the singer should be the main focal point, but he's out of focus compared to the bass player. ne_nau.gif
    Before;
    15816670-S.jpg

After;
    15816671-M.jpg
    A bit less dramtic evolution. Any cropping ideas? That marshall stack to his right is distracting me a bit. headscratch.gif
    This is probalby my favorite image of the bunch thumb.gif

I'd say play around with the crop, or maybe try cloning out some of the distracting elements. Just play around and see what you like.
    Before;
    15816674-S.jpg

After;
    15816673-S.jpg
    I think this one has potential, but you need to try and do something with that awful green cast on the walls :eek1 The guitarist's shirt looks nice and white, so the walls are either a horrible color or they were bathed in some really nasty light. Either way, the greenish walls give the whole image a "fluorescent light" look.
    Before;
    15816676-S.jpg

After;
    15816678-S.jpg
    Same comments as the first image.

Overall, I'd say you've got a couple good images, maybe with a little clean up of some of the background elements and a little playing around with the color you can make them even better.
  • Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    Mucho agreed with the first and last pictures, the bass player is distracting. I unfortunatly was fairly limited to me shooting positions, as I needed a tripod and it was a tight room. I don't even know how, but I missed the green tint on the third! Whoops! Shouldn't be to hard to fix.... I do like your ideas of cloning out that can and a few other distracting details of the second picture.

I'm used to shooting nature, so composition with people is taking me alot of getting used to! Thanks for the advice, Cletus!
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg