SmugFantasyIsland?

sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
edited June 19, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I'm a little lost on the SmugIslands. I keep any gallery that has pictures of children password protected. My hope would be that any Google search for "johnny smith" (obviously fictitious) would result in no google hits leading to my pages. In fact, quite the opposite seems to be true.
1.) I use Google Analytics, and I looked it over a bit better than usual tonight. I was very concerned that 14 lead-ins to my site were the result of searches of my daughters name.
2.) I Googled that same name, and the top result was my site. The text showing on the Google results page said "[SIZE=-1]Skoutas > keywords > johnny smith. There are no photos for keyword johnny smith."
3.) Clicking on the Google link led me to my page, a keyword search page to be exact, and it displayed a bunch of stuff that I prefer it didn't...
[/SIZE] From a kid-protection perspective, this is, for me at least... far more information than I'd like to make available to the 'net at large. In an ideal world (my Fantasy Island), I would like search engines to be able to find my site and find any photo keyword belonging to non-password protected images, and I guess just as importantly, I wouldn't want SmugMug's keyword association to come back with a bunch of related and just-as-private results.

I've got "hello world" set to homepage only, and "hello smuggers" set to my site + my name.

Thoughts? I'd hate to bar myself from the search engines, but unless I can eliminate these unwanted hits and discoveries, I may have to.

If that's the case, I guess I need to select "Hello world" - no; "Hello Smuggers" - lockdown?

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    sskoutas wrote:
    I'm a little lost on the SmugIslands....
    Are you logged out from your site when seeing these? Try a different
    browser logged out.

If you're logged in you'll see all the keywords from any passworded or not
    gallery.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Are you logged out from your site when seeing these? Try a different
    browser logged out.

If you're logged in you'll see all the keywords from any passworded or not
    gallery.

Thanks, Allen... I thought this might be the case too, but I actually got the results from my wife's computer, not logged in.

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
    edited June 18, 2007
    I'm bumping this one because it is extremely important to me. Any replies to my first post would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I've since set my privacy options to "Hello world: no" and "Hello Smuggers: lockdown" and I now find that my popular images and recent additions galleries don't work for the viewers, but only for me and only if I'm logged in. Help?

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    sskoutas wrote:
    Also, I've since set my privacy options to "Hello world: no" and "Hello Smuggers: lockdown" and I now find that my popular images and recent additions galleries don't work for the viewers, but only for me and only if I'm logged in. Help?
    This is the way it is designed to work:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/private-search-island
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    sskoutas wrote:
    I'm a little lost on the SmugIslands. I keep any gallery that has pictures of children password protected. My hope would be that any Google search for "johnny smith" (obviously fictitious) would result in no google hits leading to my pages. In fact, quite the opposite seems to be true.
    1.) I use Google Analytics, and I looked it over a bit better than usual tonight. I was very concerned that 14 lead-ins to my site were the result of searches of my daughters name.
    2.) I Googled that same name, and the top result was my site. The text showing on the Google results page said "[SIZE=-1]Skoutas > keywords > johnny smith. There are no photos for keyword johnny smith."
    3.) Clicking on the Google link led me to my page, a keyword search page to be exact, and it displayed a bunch of stuff that I prefer it didn't...
    [/SIZE] From a kid-protection perspective, this is, for me at least... far more information than I'd like to make available to the 'net at large. In an ideal world (my Fantasy Island), I would like search engines to be able to find my site and find any photo keyword belonging to non-password protected images, and I guess just as importantly, I wouldn't want SmugMug's keyword association to come back with a bunch of related and just-as-private results.

I've got "hello world" set to homepage only, and "hello smuggers" set to my site + my name.

Thoughts? I'd hate to bar myself from the search engines, but unless I can eliminate these unwanted hits and discoveries, I may have to.

If that's the case, I guess I need to select "Hello world" - no; "Hello Smuggers" - lockdown?
    Google could have those links from before SmugIslands - it can take some time for things to be re-indexed, de-indexed.
    edited June 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    This is the way it is designed to work:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/private-search-island

I've read that, Andy. Thank you.

So if I understand right, I (or rather my images) should be safe if I set:
    Hello world to "homepage only"
    Hello Smuggers to "your name only" or "no?"

Correct?

edited June 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Google could have those links from before SmugIslands - it can take some time for things to be re-indexed, de-indexed.

That's good news Andy... I can wait for google to re-index. Please confirm my understanding that, pre-SmugIsland, the results in my post above were possible even for password protected images.

I guess my concern is that many of my galleries were password protected, so I thought keywords like "Johnny smith", "billy-bob's bar mitzvah", and "omaha, nebraska" would have been invisible to search engines by way of my photos. True or false?

Now that SmugIslands has been implemented, will the search engines totally miss any of my images AND KEYWORDS from password-protected galleries?

what really scared me was the google results that gave a ton of clues about my daughter that I didn't want out there... search her name and you get my name, my page, and geographic locations far too close to home.

Like I said, I'd love to keep my page discoverable, but it is critical to me that images of children in my galleries and the keywords associated with those galleries only be available to me, my family, and the families of those children.

Any further thoughts or comments are highly appreciated. Thanks.

• RandoRando Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    You can try this to help speed along geting de-indexed from google, http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/topic.py?topic=8459

I suggest keeping those galleries password protected until they get de-indexed.

It took ~5 months for my galleries to get de-indexed from google, YMMV. Other search engines like MSN, Yahoo and Alltheweb were shorter and took ~1 month.

Just posting your url here helps too as google heavily indexes dgrin (thus crawling to your site and seeing the proper tags to de-index)
  • iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Rando wrote:
    Just posting your url here helps too as google heavily indexes dgrin (thus crawling to your site and seeing the proper tags to de-index)
    It does, but adding it to your sig is even more effective! Set it and forget it "forum SEO".
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos