Bug Shots with new 500D lens.

ScraffScraff Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited June 17, 2007 in Holy Macro
I was trying to take a few shots today with my new 500D lens...the wind was not working with me...the flowers were really moving but I think I got 2 decent shots. Please let me know what you think....
Thanks...Scott

Comments

• ScraffScraff Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Here is the second....
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Scraff wrote:
    Here is the second....

Haven't quite got them in focus, wind and Macro do not go together.
    It's always the way isn't it, you find a bug and a breeze at the same time rolleyes1.gif

What setting have you got your camera on? ..... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    On windy days it's better to set your camera to manual mode, F11, 1/200 (or whatever speed your flash can sync to), and ISO 100. Take a shot without the flash on and make sure that the image is black -or very close to it. If it isn't then set the Fstop to f16 and take another shot.

Then use a flash with a diffuser on it to keep the light from being too harsh. The burst rate of the flash becomes your shutter speed (since the scene will be completely dark unless the flash fires). So even though you've got the shutter speed set to 1/200 of a second it's the ~ 1/12000 of a second burst of light from the flash that exposes the scene. You can cut through a lot of wind and camera shake at 1/12000 of a second mwink.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Good try- as stated above difficult to do natural light shots in wind. Just as an aside if you were using autofocus, try using MF instead. AF often locks on the wrong thing in macro and with bugs it's important to get the head/eyes in focus.
    brian v.