I know I have "great features" disabled.

joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
edited June 20, 2007 in SmugMug Support
is there any way to hide the text when I'm logged in that says:

"NOTE: You have some great SmugMug features disabled. You can enable them in your control panel."

It just really bugs me. and seems like it is hogging some very usefull realestate at the top of the page. I understand showing it when there is a new feature but what about hiding it after the user clicks on that link?
jamesOgle photography
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 17, 2007
    .homepage .note {display: none} ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    #homepage p.note {display:none;}

May work better since it targets only that line and not the friend/family line. However, if you don't like the friend/family line, dev's will work smashingly. thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Hi Guys, thanks for the help.

I've tried adding each of those lines in my css field (that's where it goes right?) and when I do it removes the message (yay) but it also gets rid of all the navigation images and the gradients on the page (not yay)

Here's my page:

http://ogle.smugmug.com/

and I'm using firefox 2.0.0.3 on linux
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
    edited June 17, 2007
    Ok so I've tested this on some of my other machines.

On firefox 2.0.0.3 on linux it hides the navigation button images and the background gradients (like i explained above)

On Safari 2 on OSX it hides only the gradients

On firefox 2.0.0.2 on OSX it hides the navigation button images and the gradients

on IE 6.0.3790.1830 64bit on XP it hides the navigation button images and the gradients

Geez, for someone who isn't a web developer, I have a few different browsers at my disposal.
    jamesOgle photography
    edited June 18, 2007
    One or the other man, one or the other.

Try one, if you like what is gone cool. If not, try the other. thumb.gif

edited June 18, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    One or the other man, one or the other.

Try one, if you like what is gone cool. If not, try the other. thumb.gif

Sorry mike, I should have spelled out that I did try only one of your css lines at a time. they both give the same result.
    jamesOgle photography
    edited June 18, 2007
    OIC. Okay so I'm confused. What gradients are you talking about? I don't even see any gradients. I added the line with a smidge extra in your CSS. Are you seeing what you want to see now?

edited June 18, 2007
    With your changes,

This is what I see in Firefox:
    164119408-M.jpg

This is what I see in Safari:
    164119416-M.jpg

will post what it looks like without the changes in a sec
    jamesOgle photography
    edited June 18, 2007
    Yeah, I had to go right after I posted that for a second. I saw what was happening, for some reason adding CSS took away your theme. That shouldn't happen and I'll pass it on to see if it is a bug or what. I was able to make it work by adding the CSS and then re-setting the theme to gradient white. So try adding this:

.loggedIn #homepage p.note {display:none;}

Then save those changes and go back to your homepage. Then set the theme back to graident white. That should clear it up for you thumb.gif

edited June 18, 2007
    this is without .loggedIn #homepage p.note {display:none;} in the css field

Note the gradient backgrounds in the big grey boxes

Safari:
    164120667-M.jpg

Firefox:
    164120689-M.jpg
    jamesOgle photography
    edited June 18, 2007
    Yes I know, I'm following you now. Please see my earlier response deal.gif

edited June 18, 2007
    Ah awesome, Thanks Mike that fixed it right up.

I hadn't played with the theme thing on the front page before, it's really cool. I haven't really touched the look since smugmug was ajaxed.

Thanks again
    -james
    jamesOgle photography
  • iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Bug: SM stylesheet is replaced
    Mike Lane wrote:
    for some reason adding CSS took away your theme. That shouldn't happen and I'll pass it on to see if it is a bug or what.
    I happened to note the very same thing: SmugMug's theme consists of two stylesheets, but if I enter anything at all (even just a CSS comment!) in the customization "CSS" box, the second SM stylesheet is replaced by mine.

So I'm sure it's a bug .... but the problem is I like it better that way!

So... if the bug is fixed, I'd have to override all the stuff the second stylesheet is adding... :cry It would be really helpful If I could just "tell" SM not to include that second stylesheet in the first place.
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    I happened to note the very same thing: SmugMug's theme consists of two stylesheets, but if I enter anything at all (even just a CSS comment!) in the customization "CSS" box, the second SM stylesheet is replaced by mine.

So I'm sure it's a bug .... but the problem is I like it better that way!

So... if the bug is fixed, I'd have to override all the stuff the second stylesheet is adding... :cry It would be really helpful If I could just "tell" SM not to include that second stylesheet in the first place.
    Not a bug.
    edited June 19, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Not a bug.
    Eh?

If I add a comment in the CSS box, and that causes one whole SmugMug Stylesheet (the one that adds the graphics backgrounds and graphic buttons) no longer to be linked in at all - this is not a bug?

Then please, where can I find the documentation for this "comment overrides all graphics styling" intended behavior - as well as a documented method to get all those graphics back, while keeping your own customizations?

This apparently intended behavior seems somewhat unintuitive to at least some of us.
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
    edited June 19, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    Then please, where can I find the documentation
    The sticky threads in the customizing forum

I'm sorry it is causing you trouble. It is not a bug though. Please make a post if you have any questions about how our system or customizing works thumb.gif
    edited June 20, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    The sticky threads in the customizing forum
    Can you be a little more specific please, Andy? I searched the SmugMug Customization forum for "replace stylesheet" which gives me 15 hits - mostly about replacing individual bits, not whole stylesheets - and not a single sticky among them. Can you point to a specific specific post where replacing a SmugMug stylesheet is mentioned, or suggest another search string that will bring it up?
    Andy wrote:
    I'm sorry it is causing you trouble. It is not a bug though.
    Please read again. It is not causing me trouble, I said I like it better! I'm just worried that when the bug (I still think it's a bug, until I see documentation that removing a whole linked stylesheet is intended behavior) is solved, I'll have to remove all those ugly graphic buttons again...
    Marjolein Katsma
    edited June 20, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    (I still think it's a bug, until I see documentation that removing a whole linked stylesheet is intended behavior) is solved, I'll have to remove all those ugly graphic buttons again...
    It is not a bug. Let that be clear and shouted from the rooftops, thanks.

That something is not documented to your satisfaction doesn't mean it's a bug, I'm sorry.

I hope this helps clarify things thumb.gif
    edited June 20, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Not really.

So I can only hope you won't change this "unexpected behavior" in the next release. rolleyes1.gif
    Marjolein Katsma
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    iamback wrote:
    Not really.
    What exactly is not clear? be specific, please.
    edited June 20, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    Not really.

So I can only hope you won't change this "unexpected behavior" in the next release. rolleyes1.gif

Please!
    I have asked you to post your questions. If you have questions, post them. Arguing about this is a time waster for you and us. We want to help you if you have questions, we really do.
    edited June 20, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    What exactly is not clear? be specific, please.
    I'd like to know why adding anything at all, even just a comment, in the customization CSS box causes the second of two SmugMug stylesheets not to be linked in the HTML. If the CSS box is completely empty, both SM stylesheets are linked (even if I link a stylesheet of my own).

If it's not a bug, then apparently it's WAD (working as designed) - so why was it designed this way? What is the intended advantage? That's clear as mud.
    (As well as totally unexpected behavior.)
    Marjolein Katsma