LP#7 - Attempts from Thailand

pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited June 18, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Just got back from Thailand to find this round theme. Got these two photos which fit the theme, but would appreciate feedback to see if I can improve them or should shoot something else. Thanks.

#1 - umbrella maker
560041702_fbf3501985_o.jpg

#2 - umbrella maker
560040898_9795005c85_o.jpg

#3 - Joy Ride
560458613_2f83eec2ee_o.jpg
"Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
My images | My blog | My free course

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    I love #1 & #3
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    I also like #1 & #3.

But I think a judge might ding you on #3 for DOF for the subjects not being separated enough from the background. ne_nau.gif

#1, IMO, is your contender. The smile on the man's face is infectious. :D
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Oh I love Number 1....Why? In my minds' eye I see that time has not really been good to this man, life has been rough/rugged as he appears to be poor i.e. clothing, dental hygiene, bruising of skin, the roughness of his hands, but he still manages to give you that all in his smile, and his eyes just zing with joy. He has what I call "sunshine" eyes...

The only thing that worries me a bit, is the lack of "catchlight" in his eyes...and Old Tyme Photographer once told me to very careful of that, for he lost a few competitions/contests cuz the judges refer to that as "Dead Eye", but in this day and age...Thank goodness for PS cuz you can add that catchlight or enhance it...

Good Luck with whatever you choose..Nice Work!!
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Oh I love Number 1....Why? In my minds' eye I see that time has not really been good to this man, life has been rough/rugged as he appears to be poor i.e. clothing, dental hygiene, bruising of skin, the roughness of his hands, but he still manages to give you that all in his smile, and his eyes just zing with joy. He has what I call "sunshine" eyes...

The only thing that worries me a bit, is the lack of "catchlight" in his eyes...and Old Tyme Photographer once told me to very careful of that, for he lost a few competitions/contests cuz the judges refer to that as "Dead Eye", but in this day and age...Thank goodness for PS cuz you can add that catchlight or enhance it...

Good Luck with whatever you choose..Nice Work!!
    Donna

15524779-Ti.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    I love #1. iloveyou.gif The b&w version is nice too, but I find that the color, especially the blue, enhances the emotinal impact of the photo. Might be different if his expression were one of sorrow. #3 is a cute capture but #1 is definitely a contender, IMHO.

Virginia

Email
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Definitely #1 and I agree about the catchlights. You might want to look at reducing the cyan a very minute amount. On my screen the shot looks slightly grayish which goes against the feeling of joy. Then again, I might need to recalibrate! Great capture!!! thumb.gif
  • mwaltersmwalters Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    #1 for me. The bright background of #2 is too distracting, pulling attention from your subject.

I'm not sure that it makes me feel joy (maybe because it's a wet Sunday afternoon), but I can certainly see joy in his face.

Matthew
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    I like #1, but the skin tones look too cool to me. Particularly when your theme is "Joy" I think the shot needs to be balanced warmer.
  • gfxartistgfxartist Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Love #1 but I'd also like to see it warmed up a bit. The second I saw the photo and his smile I couldn't help but feel his joy. I love that his face and hands are in focus, concentrating on his feelings and a view into his daily life. I marvel at people who have had rough or hard lives yet keep a "face toward the sunshine" attitude. Great capture! thumb.gif
    ~Laurie~

Canon: 5d Mk III, 5d Mk II, 50d, 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 35/1.4, 70-200/2.8 II, 17-40/4, 24-70/2.8, 100 2.8 macro
    Laurie Bracewell Photography