high grain with a Canon 30D

mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited June 20, 2007 in Cameras
I've recently noticed that my photos coming out of my Canon 30D are fairly grainy when right out of the camera. You can only really notice it when zoomed in at 100% when you have a huge file.

The camera has been recently cleaned but I did pick up a new lens. Anyone else have this issue?
Brian Larter
brianlarter.com
aperturestudios.ca

weapon of choice: Canon 40D
BG-E2 Battery Grip
50mm f/1.8 MK 1
28-135mm IS USM f/3.5-5.6
17-40mm L USM f/4.0

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    mrlarter wrote:
    I've recently noticed that my photos coming out of my Canon 30D are fairly grainy when right out of the camera. You can only really notice it when zoomed in at 100% when you have a huge file.

The camera has been recently cleaned but I did pick up a new lens. Anyone else have this issue?

14326054-L.gif

Give us some examples, with exif, and all details :)
  • mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    [lol] I am doing that right now but I don't want to post a 3000px photo. Give me a moment.
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0
    edited June 17, 2007
    Here is a photo. I can't find a good example on my laptop at the moment but I have some studio shots that are just very grainy when zoomed in.

http://brianlarter.com/images/grain.jpg (It's big so becareful, it may fall on you)
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    mrlarter wrote:
    Here is a photo. I can't find a good example on my laptop at the moment but I have some studio shots that are just very grainy when zoomed in.

http://brianlarter.com/images/grain.jpg (It's big so becareful, it may fall on you)
    It's not big at all. Post the full-rez file, this is downsized.
    edited June 17, 2007
    ah shoot sorry. I forgot the jpg out of my camera are small. I just converted the raw and am uploading it now. It's an unedited photo with no raw processing.

It will be uploaded in about 3 mins.
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0
  • William M PorterWilliam M Porter Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    mrlarter wrote:

http://brianlarter.com/images/grain.jpg

Brian,

Hmmm. I have to confess that this pic doesn't look "very grainy" (noisy) to me. I assume you're complaint is directed not at the model's skin but at the dark background. Even there, while I can see a little noise zoomed in 100%, it's not bad, at least to my eyes. Looks like ISO was 100, and this is what I'd expect. Be interested to see what others have to say.

Will
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    How was this shot and processed? The noise is in the dark areas. When shooting raw, noise will be amplified if you shot it underexposed and boosted it in post; noise will be suppressed if you exposed to the right and lowered brightness in post.

Note the difference in this example. The underexposed sample looks more like yours. I wonder if exposure is part of the explanation?
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Ooh! Ooh! What colourbox said. One way to maximize noise is to underexpose a bit at ISO 1600. If I'm going to convert to B&W I like it, since it gives a grainy feel.
    edited June 17, 2007
    ok I figured I was sort of just being picky. It was actually another photographer that was using my camera. she noted it seemed really grainy when zoomed in.

This photo was shot with studio lights so was around 320 to 250 shutter speed.
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    mrlarter wrote:
    ok I figured I was sort of just being picky. It was actually another photographer that was using my camera. she noted it seemed really grainy when zoomed in.

This photo was shot with studio lights so was around 320 to 250 shutter speed.

I looked at your photo in Lightroom - most of her hair has RGB values of 0/0/0.

The RGB vaues of the area in front of her run from 3.5 to 5.5 (all values being percentage).

Plenty of room for noise it seems.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
    edited June 18, 2007
    I am going to ask the photographer who had mentioned it for a sample of the photo she took with the high grain and I'll post it here. I may take a day or so as she is currently in the middle of a move.

But me being overly picky is cheaper then buying a new camera.
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Here's the full story of the EXIF:
    Camera Make: Canon
    Camera Model: Canon EOS 30D
    Image Date: 2007:06:09 14:04:35
    Flash Used: No
    Focal Length: 127.0mm
    CCD Width: 14.99mm
    Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
    Aperture: f/22.0
    ISO equiv: 100
    White Balance: Auto
    Metering Mode: Matrix
    Exposure: Manual
    Exposure Mode: Manual

Nothing especially odd (ok, well shooting at f22 in studio seems odd to me, but I assume that was deliberate). I'm tempted to point at processing, as I'm seeing serious posterization in the shadows that is not normal--check her hair and the shadows under her chin, drops right to black. It looks like a pushed exposure to me.
    edited June 19, 2007
    ok cool, I am new to studio lighting...I am not sure what I am doing just yet in the studio.
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0
  • Stu EngelmanStu Engelman Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Here's the full story of the EXIF:

Nothing especially odd (ok, well shooting at f22 in studio seems odd to me, but I assume that was deliberate). I'm tempted to point at processing, as I'm seeing serious posterization in the shadows that is not normal--check her hair and the shadows under her chin, drops right to black. It looks like a pushed exposure to me.

Hi, there is something in your EXIF data that might explain the rather minor degree of grain in http://brianlarter.com/images/grain.jpg. Shooting at a tiny iris like F22 is great for DOF, but light can bend around the aperture into the sensor with such a small lens opening (this is called "diffraction"). I noticed this problem when I purchased my Olympus Evolt-500. I was able to resolve this, with almost no loss of DOF, by stopping up to F20, and compensating with a slightly faster shutter speed. Try this out and see if it helps. It made a very noticeable difference in my case. Stu