LPS#7 - "Tears of a Clown" like it?

StrikeslipStrikeslip Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
edited June 17, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Everyone's opinions here have been great for me, so here I'm asking for them yet again, for my potential sorrow entry, "Tears of a Clown". Because we all know, as Smokey Robinson's lyrics go, there's nothing sadder. I also like the play with the meanings of joy and your typical, funny clowns.

Thanks for any opinions!

"Tears of a Clown"
163775957-O.jpg

Comments

• GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    This image does have an effect on me. He does look sad, but also hot and tired....weary. The contradiction in what he is showing and what he is supposed to be is striking. A little out of focus maybe though?

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    This image does have an effect on me. He does look sad, but also hot and tired....weary. The contradiction in what he is showing and what he is supposed to be is striking. A little out of focus maybe though?

Emily

To me he looks a little bit pissed off. I don't see sorrow.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    I like your picture and I keep coming back to it...I am a BIG Smokey Fan btw...Laughing.gif

Ok, my thoughts, I tend to agree a bit with the prior two he looks "weary/worried" and perhaps a bit aggravated...When I saw the emotion of aggravated, it came because of the brightness of his surroundings which to me depict a very hot and humid day, which we all know when we are hot, we get DOGGED Tired (at least I do) and perhaps he is worried, wondering how in the heck he is gonna be "happy" when he is soooooo Hot..Laughing.gif (I know I really looked behind the scenes..sorry). Your photo made me feel a lot of emotions, I actually felt bad cuz he has to work in that heat...lol

Perhaps if this particular clown had the "makeup" enhanced, i.e. his mouth frown burned a bit for impact, and the makeup they use to emulate "tears" it would have made a difference..I think the biggest thing is the overly bright background, bright depicts to me "cheery"

Ok, I think I'm rambling, and I don't know if my ramblings will make sense to you, but I hope it helps somewhat.

Nice Shot, I like it and it made me think, I think I am just confused with the emotions it depicts is what I am trying to say...Laughing.gifLaughing.gifLaughing.gif

Good luck and Best Wishes
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • mwaltersmwalters Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    I tend to agree with the others - fed up/weary/tired, but it doesn't make me feel sorrow.

As with Emily, I think the image is slightly out of focus, or maybe suffering with camera shake?

Matthew
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    I had to come back to this one. The interesting thing is it doesn't evoke sadness in me immediately....the sadness comes after considering his expression and what it might mean. He himself doesn't look sad, but more worn out, disgruntled, uninspired....lots of negative adjectives come to mind that all eventually make me feel sad. To be more exact, I will say I don't feel profound sadness, but perhaps more sorry for his unhappiness. I think it works, but may have a different level of impact on different people.....but then everything does!!! I think it is an interesting and convincing portrait of a sad person, and not just a clown with a painted frown.
  • StrikeslipStrikeslip Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2007
    Wow, thanks for the detailed replies. I was hoping I could hide the camera shake in the sizing-down to 800 pixels. You folks have good eyes to pick up on that. I was zoomed in a lot more than the shutter speed would allow for, and only had a split second to get the shot so couldn't up the ISO. I just really like the colours and bokeh in this shot.

Tentacion, you must have been watching the same parade, because is was HOT. :D

THANKS!