What impact do SmugIslands settings have on RSS feeds?

papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
edited July 16, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I have a fellow Smugmugger's site set up as an RSS feed. What just happened is this:

I launched the feed because I noted there was "new content" on the site since the last time I checked. There were 36 new images...the RSS display shows them all as decent sized thumbnails.

I clicked on one of the thumbnails to see a larger version, only to be greeted with a "you need a password to see this gallery" message.

Of course I immediately realized that the gallery was set up as a password-protected gallery.

I don't know what the Hello World and Hello Smuggers settings are on the site, but it certainly raised the question in my mind....

...How do the SmugIsland settings impact RSS feeds?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Papa, not ignoring this- need to find out the right answer :)
  • chnchn Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    RRS feeds currently work on sites that are globally password protected, have the "Hello world!" set to "no" and the "Hello smuggers!" set to "no", eventhough the RSS browser does not have the password and can not access the gallery through normal means since it's not logged in. (verified via firefox.)
  • papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Papa, not ignoring this- need to find out the right answer :)

Andy..thanks. I was just a bit "surprised" to see password-protected images "out there" so openly, that's all. Perhaps it's a gottcha that account holders need to be aware of (if it's not a bug).
    edited July 16, 2007
    RSS "bump"
    papajay wrote:
    Andy..thanks. I was just a bit "surprised" to see password-protected images "out there" so openly, that's all. Perhaps it's a gottcha that account holders need to be aware of (if it's not a bug).

Andy...I'm not sure if I'm following the right protocol for "bumping" or not (feel free to slap me silly if I've committed a crime)...nevertheless, I was wondering if this issue is resolved, or is on the hit list?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    Andy...I'm not sure if I'm following the right protocol for "bumping" or not (feel free to slap me silly if I've committed a crime)...nevertheless, I was wondering if this issue is resolved, or is on the hit list?
    No worries, checking again Papa.
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 16, 2007
    Hi Papajay,

yes, this is on my hit list. I am trying to finish up my rewrite of the MacUploader, once that is done..I will be straight into this.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited July 16, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Hi Papajay,

yes, this is on my hit list. I am trying to finish up my rewrite of the MacUploader, once that is done..I will be straight into this.

Cheers,

David

Much appreciated, David. I suspect it's a low-frequency thing, but if it happened once (it did) (and it is hard-coded) it will certainly happen to others.