Random Category problems

obsidian97obsidian97 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited June 27, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm not an idiot (hopefully) but something really weird keeps happening when using categories.

Everything was working fine until this evening and now I can't:

- Delete categories
- Create categories
- Move galleries between categories.

If I try to create a category, it shows up for a brief period (maybe 30 seconds or so) then vanishes. Just long enough to move a few galleries, and then it's gone. The galleries either wind up not moving to the new category or wind up in "Other". I have tried numerous times to create a "Nature and Wildlife" category and it sometimes is there, and sometimes not, even after page refreshes.

When I delete a category, even with completely logging out of and back into my browser (so everything is refreshed) the category is still there. I created a "Nature & Wildlife" category and tried to use it. It didn't want to work correctly, so I figure the ampersand was screwing things up (hence the creation of one with 'and' in there instead). I can't delete this category no matter how many times I try from the control panel.

I used to have an "Abstract" category until is was accidentally deleted. All of the galleries went to "Other" which is to be expected. I started simply moving those galleries to "Art" and a few minutes later "Abstract" reappeared, and then disappeared!

Finally, I have tried to move my "Water" gallery to "Nature and Wilderness" and it simply won't go. It stays put no matter what I do with it. Sometimes it stays in "Nature", sometimes it winds up in "Other". The last time it wound up in "Airplane" of all things!

What the heck is going on? I'm not jumping around with the back button, am pretty technical (so I know to try the refresh button before screaming error)....

:dunno

Comments

• obsidian97obsidian97 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 18, 2007
    obsidian97 wrote:
    Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm not an idiot (hopefully) but something really weird keeps happening when using categories.

Everything was working fine until this evening and now I can't:

- Delete categories
    - Create categories
    - Move galleries between categories.

If I try to create a category, it shows up for a brief period (maybe 30 seconds or so) then vanishes. Just long enough to move a few galleries, and then it's gone. The galleries either wind up not moving to the new category or wind up in "Other". I have tried numerous times to create a "Nature and Wildlife" category and it sometimes is there, and sometimes not, even after page refreshes.

When I delete a category, even with completely logging out of and back into my browser (so everything is refreshed) the category is still there. I created a "Nature & Wildlife" category and tried to use it. It didn't want to work correctly, so I figure the ampersand was screwing things up (hence the creation of one with 'and' in there instead). I can't delete this category no matter how many times I try from the control panel.

I used to have an "Abstract" category until is was accidentally deleted. All of the galleries went to "Other" which is to be expected. I started simply moving those galleries to "Art" and a few minutes later "Abstract" reappeared, and then disappeared!

Finally, I have tried to move my "Water" gallery to "Nature and Wilderness" and it simply won't go. It stays put no matter what I do with it. Sometimes it stays in "Nature", sometimes it winds up in "Other". The last time it wound up in "Airplane" of all things!

What the heck is going on? I'm not jumping around with the back button, am pretty technical (so I know to try the refresh button before screaming error)....

ne_nau.gif

Oh, and sometimes I get a screen "You're in! Now for some fun." when I click on some galleries giving me problems. I also tried clearing out my cookies, which helped some but everything still is not working (one gallery refuses to leave "Other").
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Hello, and welcome to Digital Grin wave.gif

I'm sorry to hear about all the problems!
    It seems that you have fixed some already, though?

I don't see the "nature & wildlife" category anymore, and the water gallery is now in 'nature and wildlife'.

I don't see the categories that are not supposed to be there, but if you are, it may try to clear your browser's cache:

For Internet Explorer 6:
    • 1. From the Tools menu, select Internet Options... .
    • 2. Choose the General tab.
    • 3. In the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click Delete Files... .
    • 4. To confirm the deletion, click OK.
    • 5. In the Internet Options dialog box, click OK.

If you are currently using a different browser, please let us know, and we'll get you specific instructions for it.

-Ivar

PS, no need to ask the same question here and on the helpdesk, it just means that I'll have to answer you twice :D
  • obsidian97obsidian97 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 27, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hello, and welcome to Digital Grin wave.gif

I'm sorry to hear about all the problems!
    It seems that you have fixed some already, though?

I don't see the "nature & wildlife" category anymore, and the water gallery is now in 'nature and wildlife'.

I don't see the categories that are not supposed to be there, but if you are, it may try to clear your browser's cache:

For Internet Explorer 6:
    • 1. From the Tools menu, select Internet Options... .
    • 2. Choose the General tab.
    • 3. In the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click Delete Files... .
    • 4. To confirm the deletion, click OK.
    • 5. In the Internet Options dialog box, click OK.
    If you are currently using a different browser, please let us know, and we'll get you specific instructions for it.

-Ivar

PS, no need to ask the same question here and on the helpdesk, it just means that I'll have to answer you twice :D

Yes, things are working much better now. Sorry-- didn't know here was there as well. :)

Thanks for the excellent support response! clap.gif