edited June 19, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Air Rocket -- Current version
165383428-O.jpg

Originally posted verion:
164047127-L.jpg

Comments

• pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Very nice. Definitely brought a smile to my face. Great lighting and expression. My only concern is the white door frame at the back of the head is a bit distracting.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    pemmett wrote:
    Very nice. Definitely brought a smile to my face. Great lighting and expression. My only concern is the white door frame at the back of the head is a bit distracting.

Thanks. It was one of those "honey, grab your camera" moments, so the background is, well, what it was. I may be able to clean up the background a bit in Photoshop. I'll see what I can pull off.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    White door frame..
    doesn't bother me at all...this is a candid and don't find that distracting...good expression, fun shot. Looks like a natural setting. JMHO mwink.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Ken,
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Air Rocket
    Generally I like it. thumb.gif
    Light is nice and soft, expression is preceless, there is a definite context.
    However, the dead-centered composition seems a bit blah, so does the b/g. But I'm sure those things can be cured in post, should you agree with me.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited June 18, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Generally I like it. thumb.gif
    Light is nice and soft, expression is preceless, there is a definite context.
    However, the dead-centered composition seems a bit blah, so does the b/g. But I'm sure those things can be cured in post, should you agree with me.

The original is not dead centered. I shot landscape with the extra room on the left. There is a distracting chair on the left that I cropped out, but with some cleanup I can loosen it up. What I really want to do is a triptych with these three shots, but I am not sure how to get there without running afoul of the "no frames" rule.

164043095-M.jpg
    164043138-M.jpg
    164043150-M.jpg
    edited June 18, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    doesn't bother me at all...this is a candid and don't find that distracting...good expression, fun shot. Looks like a natural setting. JMHO mwink.gif

Thanks. So much of what I shoot is family candids; I really like the idea of entering one just to represent that side of my photography.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The original is not dead centered. I shot landscape with the extra room on the left. There is a distracting chair on the left that I cropped out, but with some cleanup I can loosen it up. What I really want to do is a triptych with these three shots, but I am not sure how to get there without running afoul of the "no frames" rule.

I remeber one triptych being entered and IIRC it wasn't DQed.
    Didn't win either, though. ne_nau.gif
    I wouldn't go there myself, but it's your call...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited June 19, 2007
    After some hemming and hawing, I decided I like the last shot in the series better despite the fact that that the rocket doesn't actually appear in the shot. I worked that shot over a bit in photoshop for some more pop.

165383428-O.jpg
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Love the series but I really love #2 bestest. And no, you didn't ask my opinion and yes, I just said bestest.

Jesse
    edited June 19, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    Love the series but I really love #2 bestest. And no, you didn't ask my opinion and yes, I just said bestest.

Jesse

Unsolicited? Maybe. Welcome? Definitely.

I am torn. I like both for different reasons. I gave #2 the same pop treatment I gave #3 and recropped to take Nik's concern into account. I am sure I will waffle about them for the next 6 days...

164482815-O.jpg
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    I'm definitely torn between the two............they are adorable!
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    #2 and #3 - both capture infectious joy. #2 has more energy to it - I can feel his joyous anticipation and my body tightens up in anticipation in response. #3 shows the innocent joy of achievement and the catch lights are fabulous. Hard choice for you, but either is a winner in my book. clap.gif

Virginia

Email
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Hi, These are both joyful pictures. It's a hard choice. My only nit about them is the small smudge on his upper arm. Maybe you could PS it out?

Jill
    Jill
    edited June 19, 2007
    JillG wrote:
    Hi, These are both joyful pictures. It's a hard choice. My only nit about them is the small smudge on his upper arm. Maybe you could PS it out?

Jill

That's a bruise. I am not in the habit of PSing them out because scrapes and bruises are part of the memory I am capturing. However, for a competition photo it makes sense to remove it. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
    edited June 19, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    I'm definitely torn between the two............they are adorable!

Thanks! Miles, even for a kid his age (he turns 3 next month) wears his heart on his sleeve. We picked up the rockets thinking they might make good favors for his birthday party and they were a huge hit.
    edited June 19, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    #2 and #3 - both capture infectious joy. #2 has more energy to it - I can feel his joyous anticipation and my body tightens up in anticipation in response. #3 shows the innocent joy of achievement and the catch lights are fabulous. Hard choice for you, but either is a winner in my book. clap.gif

Virginia

Thanks! My feeling is that as a stand alone photo #2 tells a stronger story, but I am a sucker for the eyes in #3.