Stacey and Justin Dalton - Wedding (10 images - sorry)

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited June 19, 2007 in Weddings
Stacey and Justin Dalton. I have been looking forward to this wedding since they signed in Feb. And, true to my expectations, it was a great time. Stacey was cool, calm and collected. She had a schedule of events for the day, identifying where and when she wanted things done. The schedule covered more than 12 hours. There were only two deviations from the schedule - she arrived at the church 1/2 hour EARLY and, at the reception, she changed out of her gown 10 minutes late. AND, she did all this without being a control freak - it was truely a joy to work with her! I can only hope to work with more people like her and her family!

1. This is the first time I have had an opportunity to create a shot like this. All my other "dressing locations" have been less than optimal for a gown photograph. I kinda like this.
163987707-L.jpg

2. Just the guys
163990002-L.jpg

3. And in B&W, I like this one much better for some reason
163990354-L.jpg

4. On, just a little less formal!
163992150-L.jpg

5. The bride has arrived!
163995699-L.jpg

6. The Bride's "court"
164000077-L.jpg

7. One for the groom! The ladies wanted one of them "fluffing" her skirts. The bride felt like she was in a old-style superman show, so she's bent over and flying!
164000345-L.jpg

8. The chapel - This is on Langley Air Force Base. The chapel is "original" construction, minimal AC (we were thankful for a very cool weekend!) and pretty much dark as a cave!. But, gorgeous!
164000478-L.jpg

9. Right after the first kiss. What do you think. Happy?
164008193-L.jpg

10. Last one! Mr & Mrs Dalton!
164017147-L.jpg

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    REally GREAT SERIES.....You did a wonderful job.....all very gorgeous
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Thanks Art. On looking at these a second time, I notice that the skin tones on the last two are off a bit and the flash is just a bit more than a bit heavy on the last one.

I'm looking forward to reading what others have to say about them.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Scott.....
    I'll attempt to provide some observations one each. It would be nice if these were larger as it makes viewing them easier.

Interesting shot. I think the sparkles could be brought out using a few layers/masks, enhancing the dress. Black and white works well for this but it needs contrast/pop.

Reds and magentas overruling skin tones (faces). The middle man's (groom) face is over exposed, almost white washed.....evening out the exposure there with lesser reds will repair this nice shot.

Conversion works well.....even out the groom's exposure with the rest of the group.

Again, facial tones oversaturated/red

Nice shot

Nice.....but wow are those bright dresses

Alright shot but think it would have looked was cool if you could have given it the ring bearer's perspective (means laying on your belly...Laughing.gif)

What a great expression! Like this one best.

There's my 2 cents! Cheers.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Wow those are great I really like #1 & #9
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Nice shots! thumb.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Love the B&W dress!!! And the expressions after the kiss...wonderful! The shot of her flying is a great memory-keeper shot! IMO, I'd like to see more of the church and less of the grass on #2. Looks like it was a beautiful wedding to shoot. Nice job, Scott!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    1: love the concept and execution here.

2: the guy way in the background doesn't look like he belongs in the pic. the different depths of the guys contribute to the flash fill problem...i dont think i would have used a flash on this one. it looks like the outdoor light would have been sufficient...but i could be wrong, seeing how i wasnt there. feel free to raise the :bigbsflag on this comment rolleyes1.gif

3: see above

4: where's groomsman #5?

5: limo and red carpet....very classy. good shot.

6: looks like only 3 of the girls were looking at you. did you take multiples? maybe you can transplant some eyeballs? ne_nau.gif

7: fun shot. you didnt happen to get phone number of the bridesmaid on the far right did you? :D
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Good shots Scott, for some reason #2 and 3 looks like those full size cardboard figures plaed on the yard, if you know what i mean, but i like the concept, quiet different.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Wow! You captured some wonderful stuff for them.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    Alright shot but think it would have looked was cool if you could have given it the ring bearer's perspective (means laying on your belly...Laughing.gif)

Scott, nice job! #1, 5 and 9 are my favorites. I know this is only a small portion of the shots you took, but what struck me while viewing these was that you were shooting straight on in every shot. I think several of them could have been improved by shooting, as Swartzy mentioned, from different perspectives. The bride looks fairly short, but the straight on approach is not flattering for any woman in a gown. The shot of the groomsmen could also be more interesting with you shooting from a lower angle, perhaps cutting some of the foreground out and including more of the steeple, as Elaine mentioned. Just something to keep in mind.....it takes good knees and flexibility to be a wedding photographer (and an assistant with a ladder would be helpful!) :D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Scott, nice job! #1, 5 and 9 are my favorites. I know this is only a small portion of the shots you took, but what struck me while viewing these was that you were shooting straight on in every shot. I think several of them could have been improved by shooting, as Swartzy mentioned, from different perspectives. The bride looks fairly short, but the straight on approach is not flattering for any woman in a gown. The shot of the groomsmen could also be more interesting with you shooting from a lower angle, perhaps cutting some of the foreground out and including more of the steeple, as Elaine mentioned. Just something to keep in mind.....it takes good knees and flexibility to be a wedding photographer (and an assistant with a ladder would be helpful!) :D
    Susan,

Thanks for these ideas. There are some basic points I am taking away from your (and other's) comments:
    • Think a bit before mashing the shutter release. Could/would it look better from different camera angle and/or a different perspective? I think this is the major point being made by everyone and I really appreciate the honest feedback.
    • Turn the bride just a bit. Just about any woman will appreciate the slimming affect
    • A little more control over the fill flash would be a good thing
    gpphotos - As for the phone number. I can get it for you, but you have some pretty stiff competition. She's very, very happily married and has two kids (who were the ring bearers in this wedding). Still want the number?mwink.gif
  • mtuckmtuck Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 19, 2007
    Nice series. I am a total noob and really have no experience to go on but here's what my I see:

#1 - I like it.

#2 & 3 - The flash overpowers these, as others said, less grass and more church, there seems to be a lot of red tones. B&W conversion doesn't do much for me.

#4 - Flash again overpowers, not sure what was going on here but the mix of serious and silly doesn't seem to go together.

#5 - Nice shot.

#6 & 7 - The shortest bridesmaid gets lost behind the bride.

#8 - Beautiful chapel, I would like to see more of the ceiling. A B&W conversion of this church might work nicely.

#9 - Great shot, little heavy on the reds.

#10 - Flash again overpowers. Tighter crop might work better.

~Tucker