Auto Racing Flash Photography

JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
edited June 19, 2007 in Sports
Hey everyone, this is my first post so please bear with me. I've been doing local short track racing, Saturday night dirt tracks, for about 1 1/2 years now and still not sure if I'm ever going to get the hang of it. I shoot with a Rebel XT, 430EX, and usually a 70-200/2.8L. I think I have pretty good equipment for my wallet size and don't think that the gear is too much to blame. I'm looking for some advice on how to get the most out of the gear I have now. you can check out some of my shots on my site http://jbhotshot.smugmug.com.

I'm open for all comments and critique. Thanks in advance.
Jamie
JBHotShots.com
Facebook
7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX

Comments

• HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Your link brings up the smugmug homepage and a search of "jbhotshot" doesn't return any results.
    Tim
  • JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Your link brings up the smugmug homepage and a search of "jbhotshot" doesn't return any results.

Sorry it's http://jbhotshots.smugmug.com
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    There are a lot of pictures on that site. Maybe you can post one or two that you'd like to be the basis of comments/advice.
    Tim
  • cptcorncptcorn Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2007

Only advice I can give you is don't listen to any other photographers... Do your own thing

Alex
    www.figzphoto.com
  • JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    cptcorn wrote:
    Only advice I can give you is don't listen to any other photographers... Do your own thing

Alex
    www.figzphoto.com

Really need to get with you and find out how you made your colors pop like that. I'm super impressed as those are the kind of pictures I am trying to achieve. Isn't Red River Valley Speedway in Texas? Honestly, AWSOME pictures man.

Jamie
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Problem is when you shoot at night with flash like that it looks like you are putting a spotlight on the car. You're better off getting a super fast prime like a 85/1.8 or a 50/1.4 shooting manual and underexposing the car. If you shoot raw, you'll be able to bring it back another stop or so... which will make up for the flash. Lucky for you cars are relatively easy to pan (unlike high school football players, etc, on a poorly lit field)