Options

Moon and the Star ?

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited June 19, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
Or moor and the some planet ? any idea ? was there for i think 2hrs. When it was right in center of the moon it was looking like star and moon on Pakistani flag but when i reached to my home it was away from center
164244874-L.jpg

Sony H5 full zoom and cropping
when i was in market people were shooting with cell phones :huh
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    couriermancourierman Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    nice shot AY,it's a bit big for a planet ,maybe it's the space station or the shuttle ,well done thumb.gif
    Click here to see >>>>My Photos :photo

Canon EOS 40D, MP-E 65 2.8, Sigma EM-140 DG
    Canon EOS 400D Firmware 1.1.1,EF-S 18 55,EF 28 105,Sigma 150 EX DG APO macro,Sigma 70 300 APO DG
  • Options
    StravStrav Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    was this last night? If so, I was watching the same thing. It seemed off to me because the closest star to the planet never shines this bright. It followed the moon too. I live up high in a condo in Toronto Canada fwiw. Initially I was thinking satellite, but it's movement in unison with the moon made me think planet. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2007
    I shot this picture about 6 hrs ago
    headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2007
    interesting. Well 6 hours ago here it was 10 am. I saw this around 10pm last night making it 12 hours prior to the time you saw it. Have no idea. Space shuttle seems like a good answer however.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2007
    When i was shooting it suddenly disappeared and after 1hr it came back on other side of moon. Yeah may be a space shuttel mwink.gif

My Gallery
  • Options
    farfromthesunfarfromthesun Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    I think it's Venus - they (the moon and venus) stayed pretty close together this evening - when a planet or star dissapear behind the moon it's called an "occultation".)

The image below is a screenshot from Stellarium (www.stellarium.org) and shows the sky from roughly your location, at roughly the time you say you took the pic:

Venus_Moon.jpg

The brightest object in the night sky is Venus (apart from the sun and moon) - how long was the exposure time?
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2007
    When i was shooting it suddenly disappeared and after 1hr it came back on other side of moon. Yeah may be a space shuttel mwink.gif

Ah! Definately Venus, then. The shuttle / iss would go across the sky in around 2 minutes. Check here: http://www.heavens-above.com/ for more info on ISS tracking - and I challenge anybody out there to get a photo of it!!
  • Options
    couriermancourierman Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    here are some of my moons shots ,i'll try and get out tonight and see if i can get the bright light

MOON2.JPG

MOON3.JPG

thanks
    Click here to see >>>>My Photos :photo

Canon EOS 40D, MP-E 65 2.8, Sigma EM-140 DG
    Canon EOS 400D Firmware 1.1.1,EF-S 18 55,EF 28 105,Sigma 150 EX DG APO macro,Sigma 70 300 APO DG
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2007
    I think it's Venus - they (the moon and venus) stayed pretty close together this evening - when a planet or star dissapear behind the moon it's called an "occultation".)

The image below is a screenshot from Stellarium (www.stellarium.org) and shows the sky from roughly your location, at roughly the time you say you took the pic:

The brightest object in the night sky is Venus (apart from the sun and moon) - how long was the exposure time?
    Thanks Buddy. I knew you will solve the mistry clap.gif
    And 1/10 sec Iso 80 and F 3.7
    And yeah there were also Saturn and Regulus but they were not bright

Courier Man these are wonderful !

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2007
    My girlfriend said it was Venus last night. Refused to believe her up until now. It was flickering however which I thought strange. Tried to nail a telephoto shot without tripod but no such luck.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2007
    Thanks Buddy. I knew you will solve the mistry clap.gif
    And 1/10 sec Iso 80 and F 3.7
    And yeah there were also Saturn and Regulus but they were not bright

No worries - happy to help!
    Strav wrote:
    My girlfriend said it was Venus last night. Refused to believe her up until now. It was flickering however which I thought strange. Tried to nail a telephoto shot without tripod but no such luck.

Planets don't generate light, but reflect the Sun's. That's what we see - sure you know that, which is probably why you were dubious of your girlfriend. It could be that the atmosphere is making it appear to flicker (a telesope users nightmare) or that your girlfriend is totally wrong, and you were right (yay! mwink.gif ) Which direction was it? Venus is always in the West, and is there for a few hours after the Sun goes down.

Here's my effort from 10 minutes ago:

164273854-M.jpg
  • Options
    ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    ...and you got a good clear shot of Venus' phase!
    Or moor and the some planet ? any idea ? was there for i think 2hrs. When it was right in center of the moon it was looking like star and moon on Pakistani flag but when i reached to my home it was away from center
    164244874-L.jpg

when i was in market people were shooting with cell phones eek7.gif

great shot! that indeed is Venus :) You've also captured a good shot of it's current phase (just about half-way lit). Because Venus is in between the Earth and the Sun, we see phases of Venus like we see phases of the Moon. I checked with Starry Night --- you did indeed capture the phase. Venus *shouldn't* be a complete sphere right now, just a little over half-way full.

Good job!

Tonight --- we have a nice alignment --- Saturn, the Moon, then Venus

Adrienne
  • Options
    ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Strav wrote:

farfromthesun explained it pretty well :)

Planets will look to twinkle when they are close to the horizon as you looking through more atmophere (moisture, heat rising off the planet from daytime, smoke, pollution...) looking low on your horizon than you are when an object is higher in the sky.

Of course --- we have a brilliant Jupiter rising in the east now, next to Scorpio and a red giant star (very twinkly) called Antares. Jupiter looks very large and brighter than Venus right now (in the western sky)

Adrienne
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007

when i was in market people were shooting with cell phones eek7.gif
    Nice one Awais clap.gif ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2007
    ajgauthier wrote:

Of course --- we have a brilliant Jupiter rising in the east now, next to Scorpio and a red giant star (very twinkly) called Antares. Jupiter looks very large and brighter than Venus right now (in the western sky)

Adrienne

Yes, Jupiter is becoming a much easier target these days, however, it's not as bright at magnitude -2.15 as Venus, which is -4.28.

Do you observe / photograph with a telescope?
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2007
    Thanks Everyone :D

My Gallery