LPS7 - joy or ?

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited June 19, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
This shot gives me joy, and I know it gives this family joy, and I know they were joyful when it was taken, but does it say "joy" to you?

164235760-L.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• gfxartistgfxartist Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    It's a beautiful family photo but unfortunately I don't get any "joy" from it. For me, I would have to see the expressions on their faces to get a sense of their emotions. Nice shot though!
    ~Laurie~

Canon: 5d Mk III, 5d Mk II, 50d, 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 35/1.4, 70-200/2.8 II, 17-40/4, 24-70/2.8, 100 2.8 macro
    Laurie Bracewell Photography
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    I thought maybe the parents kissing and the whole family holding hands would express some joy, but I think it expresses love better. Once again, I've answered my own question by just asking it! :D Thanks for the feedback!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Elaine, I have to disagree with gfxartist. It is true that I wasn't struck immediately with thoughts of joy, but the photo pulled me in and as I looked at it, I began to feel a kind of quiet joy - for the family, for the lovely setting and for the beautiful evening. Perhaps this is too subtle for the contest, but it is a joyous photo - to me at least!

Virginia

Email
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Elaine,
    Elaine wrote:
    This shot gives me joy, and I know it gives this family joy, and I know they were joyful when it was taken, but does it say "joy" to you?
    Great picture!thumb.gif
    But, frankly - no, no "joy". ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Being with your family watching a sunset is definitely joy in my book. However, the fact that the family is silhouetted makes the shot more about the sunset than it is about the people. Because it is not about the people, it is not about their joy. Rather the picture becomes joyful when the viewer imagines him or herself in the scene. Some people will experience it; others won't. My call is don't end your search for a shot, but don't rule this one out either.
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    I love this shot but it doesn't scream JOY to me. Nice work, though!

Jesse
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    It does not say joy to me, but what an incredible picture! I really really love this!!!!