LPS#7 - Yep, Another Kid Photo

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited June 20, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
No doubt about it. This challenge is the toughest yet for me. Anyhow, I'd appreciate any C&C on this photo. In particular, does it say "sorrow" to anyone? Just kidding. :roflI just noticed that there is a yellow cast under her chin from her shirt, which I should be able to fix, but other comments on color would also be appreciated.

Delight

164255611-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Virginia

Email

Comments

• peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    OK, I hope this helps.

IMHO, if you were going for a joyous smile, then you might have something if you framed in much closer, so only the mouth is visible (I think that could actually work too).

But if you are going for an overall expression of joy, then you've missed the most important part, the eyes.

Really, the only thing in the photo that clearly says joy is the smile. The rest doesn't strongly add to the feeling.

So either crop right into the smile only, or take a different perspective to really capture the expression on the whole face.

Sorry if that sounds like total crap.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Virginia

I am left wondering 'what is she smiling at?'. If you read Shay's advise (if I recall it correctly) he points out the value of including the why. I think that would help you here.

ann

PS The one comment from all of the comments in this contest that haunts me is Khaos' comment several challenges ago - something to the effect that technically proficient is not the point.
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Lots of things are nice in this image but it's not joyful enough to contend with the other joy. I know you can get it just right!
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Thanks a lot Peter, Ann and Indigirl. I agree about the eyes needing to be more prominent, Peter. For me it is the biggest negative in the photo.

Ann, I am ambivalent about showing more context and losing the impact of a closeup. I read Shay's comment when he posted and have been keeping it in mind, but just haven't gotten a photo where it succeeds. I'm not working with a model who has the slightest interest in my project. In fact, she is going through a phase where she pretty much refuses to look at the camera and I have to "steal" moments when she is distracted. In doing so, I accept distracting backgrounds and other drawbacks as the price of getting a picture at all!! rolleyes1.gifI agree with Khaos that technical excellence is not a be all and end all for a successful photograph. However, the technical level of the photos entered in the LPS challenges and those that have won is very, very high and, I think, very, very valued by this community.

I appreciate the encouragement, Indigirl. I get one more chance with my granddaughter before the challenge ends. Maybe the gods will smile. Maybe not. If not, I can always try a self portrait for the sorrow theme. :D

Here is a photo I took in May that is the kind of approach that I think might give context to the photo while allowing a reasonable closeup. (I think that there are already a couple of entries using this idea.) The fact that you don't see her eyes because she is looking at her grandfather doesn't bother me here. Nor does the motion blur.

164551324-L.jpg

Again, thanks for taking the time to comment! It is much appreciated. Virginia

Email
  • sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Hi Virginia,

I like the photo a lot, but yes, the eyes (or at least a clearer view of the smile) would definitely add more impact to the photo.

Not sure if it helps (you may have already tried it) but I often try to engage my three year old niece in the photo-shoot so as to make her feel more comfortable and be more natural. She liked the part where she got to see herself 'in the camera' after I took a photo and after a bit of explaining she realized it was more pretty if she actually looked at the camera :D

Good luck! thumb.gif
    Sunita
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Hi,

Gosh she's pretty. I think this is a beautiful shot of her. I agree that more joy may come through if the shot was a bit different, but I understand your constraints about getting another even if she's available.

The only thing I would do with this one is to crop her ear out of it. I like the yellow reflection even though I know I'm not supposed to:D.
    Not much help here.
    Good Luck
    Jill
    Jill
    edited June 19, 2007
    Thanks Sunita and Jill. iloveyou.gif

Sunita, I have tried just about every trick in the book, but the Adorable One just turned 3 and is at a stage where she needs to direct the show. Alas, she shows no interest in being in pictures. :cry I have been instructed more than once to put the camera down ... THERE. Since I am usually the primary caretaker when I am with her, my job is to give comfort when needed and otherwise to follow orders! Nonetheless, I will try a variation of your suggestion this Friday to see how she reacts. (I plan to give her a camera when she turns four, which may help, if her parents don't kill me first.)

Jill, thanks for the kind words. Good suggestion about the ear. It bothered me a bit too.

Virginia

Email
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Alas, she shows no interest in being in pictures. :cry I have been instructed more than once to put the camera down ... THERE.

When taking pictures of my son Miles (who turns three next month), I generally sit on the floor with the camera placed somewhere safe, but in reach and ready to shoot. I only pick it up when he is involved in something and not paying attention to me. Then I wait until I see his eyes and take a shot or maybe two. I don't get a lot of shots that way, but the ones I get are better for it.
    edited June 20, 2007
    Hey Liquid Air! Yes, the on-the-floor trick can work. When our Adorable One was younger I was on the floor shooting when she decided to crawl at high speed towards the camera. (She used to love to poke at the lens.) I kept shooting even as I had to lay down with my back on the floor and got a really good capture before she made it to the camera, sitting triumphantly on my chest. By then I was laughing so hard I couldn't have taken a picture anyway. Anyhow, I shall try again this week, as I do each week, and maybe capture some joy or sorrow. Maybe not. It is still wonderful fun to be with her.

Virginia

Email