Calabrating Monitor

KMWKMW Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
edited June 19, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi,
I just ordered a calibration print in true color and have adjusted my monitor to match the print as closely as possible. It looks like it matches perfectly. Will my prints still look good printed in Auto or do they need to be printed in true, if I use this print to calibrate? I tried Adobe Gamma and could not adjust the sliders. They were disabled. I'm afraid if I purchase calibration software it would not work on my monitor. It's a Dell CRT about 5 years old. I also used an online tool to visually calibrate. Could you please tell me if this is a fairly accurate way to calibrate if I am unable to use hardware calibration software?
Thanks,
Kath
Nikon D80
18-135mm 3.5-5.6
50mm 1.4
SB600

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    KMW wrote:
    Hi,
    I just ordered a calibration print in true color and have adjusted my monitor to match the print as closely as possible. It looks like it matches perfectly. Will my prints still look good printed in Auto or do they need to be printed in true, if I use this print to calibrate? I tried Adobe Gamma and could not adjust the sliders. They were disabled. I'm afraid if I purchase calibration software it would not work on my monitor. It's a Dell CRT about 5 years old. I also used an online tool to visually calibrate. Could you please tell me if this is a fairly accurate way to calibrate if I am unable to use hardware calibration software?
    Thanks,
    Kath
    Kath, Auto is usually best - True is for PERFECTLY adjust prints :) If you like, I'll review a sample gallery and let you know my thoughts.
  • KMWKMW Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Kath, Auto is usually best - True is for PERFECTLY adjust prints :) If you like, I'll review a sample gallery and let you know my thoughts.

Sure that would be great if you could. Here is a link http://kmw.smugmug.com/gallery/2917945

It is okay for me to be editing photos with my monitor adjusted to a true color print if most people order Auto prints?
    Nikon D80
    18-135mm 3.5-5.6
    50mm 1.4
    SB600
    edited June 19, 2007
    Hi Andy,
    I think my post has been lost. I just wanted to bump this up. When you have a chance can you please look at my gallery? Please tell me if I should use the true color print to adjust my monitor for editing or if I should get a calibration print printed in Auto?
    Thanks,
    Kathi
    Nikon D80
    18-135mm 3.5-5.6
    50mm 1.4
    SB600
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    KMW wrote:
    Hi Andy,
    I think my post has been lost. I just wanted to bump this up. When you have a chance can you please look at my gallery? Please tell me if I should use the true color print to adjust my monitor for editing or if I should get a calibration print printed in Auto?
    Thanks,
    Kathi
    You can print true color thumb.gif Nice work.
    edited June 19, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    You can print true color thumb.gif Nice work.

Thanks Andy :)
    Nikon D80
    18-135mm 3.5-5.6
    50mm 1.4
    SB600