Options

Ch #32 "granny; still life" - comments please.

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited February 15, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
OK, my second attempt following some of your advice. any improvement?

15899510-L.jpg
'
15899513-L.jpg
15899512-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    Nice composition Angelo. I like the contrasting colors and the depth of field. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    Nice composition Angelo. I like the contrasting colors and the depth of field. thumb.gif
    Thank you. I was afraid it was a bit boring.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Thank you. I was afraid it was a bit boring.
    Angelo, nice shot but why don't you try experimenting with some dramatic lighting and some different angles :D
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    Angelo, nice shot but why don't you try experimenting with some dramatic lighting and some different angles :D
    OK. I need to rig a plain backdrop to give myself some flexibility. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    What gubbs said mate....grab some cellophane & torches/globes whatever. Remember the best light can come from the cheapest option.
  • Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Angelo!
    Great composition with nice colors. At the same time I must say that for me the background is too complex. For a second or two my mind was choosing - what is the main subject... At the same time your DOF improves the situation... And your light does the same thing!
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Angelo!
    Great composition with nice colors. At the same time I must say that for me the background is too complex. For a second or two my mind was choosing - what is the main subject... At the same time your DOF improves the situation... And your light does the same thing!
    I'll 2nd the dramatic lighting, but for me, I think you need a different subject that juxtaposes with the background. I think the spiraling mat draws you in, it has this centrifugal force to it. It would be interesting to experiment with different objects and how this shape plays with the mat. Does that make sense? I'm biased though since I like tension so much. :) I can't wait to see more!! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    Angelo!
    I'll 2nd the dramatic lighting, but for me, I think you need a different subject that juxtaposes with the background. I think the spiraling mat draws you in, it has this centrifugal force to it. It would be interesting to experiment with different objects and how this shape plays with the mat. Does that make sense? I'm biased though since I like tension so much. :) I can't wait to see more!! clap.gif

as a second thought, dramatic lighting on the mat by itself may prove worthy of looking into.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005

as a second thought, dramatic lighting on the mat by itself may prove worthy of looking into.
    Thanks for the input and challenge. I understand your "second thought" but not clear on your first.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Thanks for the input and challenge. I understand your "second thought" but not clear on your first.
    Yuri thought the mat was distracting. I think it has potential to be an integral component of the photograph if you used a different subject besides the apples....but perhaps playing with shots by itself would be better.

I love how the lines of the mat spiral around and have such great texture. I felt that apples weren't really a proper compliment to the shape, lines, and color of the mat. does that make more sense? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    Ah, gotcha... OK, I'll play around some more. Thank you.
    Yuri thought the mat was distracting. I think it has potential to be an integral component of the photograph if you used a different subject besides the apples....but perhaps playing with shots by itself would be better.

I love how the lines of the mat spiral around and have such great texture. I felt that apples weren't really a proper compliment to the shape, lines, and color of the mat. does that make more sense? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3932&stc=1

Angelo I hope you don't mindI was just wondering if the apples woudl look better on this side.. Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    http://www.dgrin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3932&stc=1

Angelo I hope you don't mindI was just wondering if the apples woudl look better on this side.. Just a thought.
    OK Mister Hocus Pocus... I'm too busy figuring out how you did that to have an objective POV. Tell me why you think so and maybe others will also comment. :):
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    OK Mister Hocus Pocus... I'm too busy figuring out how you did that to have an objective POV. Tell me why you think so and maybe others will also comment. :):
    Angelo its just me.. When I look at a picture my eyes move from left to right so i would like to see the apples on that side.. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable people would be kind enough to comment on whether I make sense or not. The Hokus Pokus was easy I just flipped it horizontally in PS.. Its one of the few things I know how to do,,
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Angelo its just me.. When I look at a picture my eyes move from left to right so i would like to see the apples on that side.. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable people would be kind enough to comment on whether I make sense or not. The Hokus Pokus was easy I just flipped it horizontally in PS.. Its one of the few things I know how to do,,
    Well, I can understand that. We all have our own "sweet spots" When I get home I'll try a few other angles.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Good idea Angelo. However, I don't see a predominant color here. How about if the objects were plain wooden blocks. Tan on brown - all one color tone. Then you'd have the straight lines of square or rectangular blocks with all the lines of the mat. I love the idea of the tension in that. Good start. Looking forward to more.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    thanks snappy. i'll try my hand at it tonight
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2005
    hey! you have more than one of those mats.....do you have 3? I wonder if you could take a shot of just the mats , different angles...etc. don't know if you're into that sort of thing though. especially if you could light it without direct flash and bring out the warmth of the mats....there's this awesome reddish brown in part of the mat that's very nice!:D
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    I still like the first one you posted best. It is the last one here, isn't it? I don't like green apples, I like yellow apples. (picky, picky, and I am hungry.)

I really like the composition and all. The thing that is missing for me is WOW or emotional involvement. Though it sure does make me hungry. I don't like the other little figures. And I have no thoughts on lighting.

I don't think I am being much help here. So far all my lighting has been natural, usually outdoors. I really haven't learned how to use artificial lighting. I still tend to photograph a subject. If I have to use a flash I do, but that is the extent of it. Anything you learn on lighting, I could learn, too.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    I like the photo, esp. the DOF and the spirals of the mat. But I agree with snapapple there isn't a predominate color. If you going with the brown tone of the mat maybe you could use something along that line, walnuts or pinecones etc..?? That's just my .02

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com