how to break shared links???

leesaleesa Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited June 22, 2007 in SmugMug Support
As a new mom I got super excited about sharing photos of my babies with other moms and embedded links in many of my posts on a public message board. I'm now realizing this probably wasn't the smartest thing to do and would like to break these links without deleting and re-adding photos. any way to do this???

Thanks!

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Just turn off external linking in the customize gallery section.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Dave's way works for embeded image links. But if you shared the gallery link, then you must reupload the photos to a new gallery, and delete the old gallery.
  • leesaleesa Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    i believe it has all been single images and not galleries. if I re-activate the option for external linking at a later point in time will the old links become active again or will it generate new links?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    leesa wrote:
    i believe it has all been single images and not galleries. if I re-activate the option for external linking at a later point in time will the old links become active again or will it generate new links?
    they will become active again.
    edited June 19, 2007
    ok thanks for the quick responses!!!

and 32,000 posts.....WOW!! :)
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    leesa wrote:
    As a new mom I got super excited about sharing photos of my babies with other moms and embedded links in many of my posts on a public message board. I'm now realizing this probably wasn't the smartest thing to do and would like to break these links without deleting and re-adding photos. any way to do this???

Thanks!

If you want to just break specific links without re-uploading or without turning off all external links, you can also use the Make 2nd copy function and then delete the original image. This will make a new copy of your image (with a new link). Deleting the original image will then get rid of the original image, thus breaking it's link forever. But, your gallery will still look the same to anyone viewing your gallery because you still have the same images in it and you can still selectively link to images elsewhere because you didn't have to turn off all external linking.

As already recommended, turning off external linking is the easiest, but not quite as flexible if you have any other needs to link.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited June 22, 2007
    Thanks John! that is probably what I will do. I will turn off external linking for now and work at creating the 2nd copies of things so I can turn it back on.