is this due to comcast?

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited June 20, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I am having crazy connection problems to my SM site tonight. I'm trying to do several things at once-- one browser window is bulk zooming thumbs, one browser window is being used to individually zoom thumbs, and then I try to log-in to arrange another gallery with no luck. I can get to the control panel, but when I click "your photos" it just spins and spins and spins and doesn't let me in. :cry

What's strange is I'm accessing dgrin and other sites just fine...

Here's my tracer route:
Tracing route to hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 4294967292 ms 4294967292 ms 192.168.0.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms ge-1-15-ur01.troutdale.or.bverton.comcast.net [6
8.87.217.121]
4 * * 5 ms te-9-3-ar01.troutdale.or.bverton.comcast.net [68
.87.216.89]
5 28 ms 24 ms 25 ms 12.116.25.33
6 83 ms 79 ms 77 ms 12.127.6.181
7 77 ms 77 ms 78 ms tbr2.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.10.61]
8 86 ms 80 ms 87 ms tbr2.phlpa.ip.att.net [12.122.10.94]
9 86 ms 88 ms 80 ms tbr1.wswdc.ip.att.net [12.122.2.85]
10 75 ms 76 ms 76 ms 12.123.8.33
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 92 ms 84 ms 84 ms ed-pri.smugmug.com [206.223.137.74]
14 102 ms 102 ms 102 ms 10.1.1.5
15 93 ms 93 ms 95 ms hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]

Trace complete.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Okay, guess I should have been a little more specific.

What is a tracer route? What does it (and this one in particular) say about my connection to SM? I swear, I'd love to diagnose my connection problems myself, but I'm a little clueless about it (obviously) :D.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Okay, guess I should have been a little more specific.

What is a tracer route? What does it (and this one in particular) say about my connection to SM? I swear, I'd love to diagnose my connection problems myself, but I'm a little clueless about it (obviously) :D.

Traceroute:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traceroute

Try this please?
    http://www.smugmug.com/homepage/traceroute.mg
  • iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    That's interesting, and potentially useful.

It can also be potentially confusing if people are using firewall capabilities in their modem, or via software - I have no problem tracert-ing you, but my modem doesn't reply to any pings, and if it did my firewall software would not return them. mwink.gif

A whole bunch of * * * lines at the end of the list is not anything to worry about. In mine, hops 1-12 are fine, hops 13-30 are all asterisks because you don't get past the last node in my provider's network.
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    That's interesting, and potentially useful.
    It has actually proven to be very useful to us.
    iamback wrote:
    It can also be potentially confusing if people are using firewall capabilities in their modem, or via software - I have no problem tracert-ing you, but my modem doesn't reply to any pings, and if it did my firewall software would not return them. mwink.gif
    We don't ask out customers to interpret it, we do that ourselves. So, it doesn't have to confuse anyone.
    iamback wrote:
    A whole bunch of * * * lines at the end of the list is not anything to worry about.
    not necessarily, it could be though. but did anyone say it was?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    A whole bunch of * * * lines at the end of the list is not anything to worry about.

This is incorrect. It can indicate packet loss, and that is bad for uploading as well as delivery of parts of the SmugMug page.
    edited June 20, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    This is incorrect. It can indicate packet loss, and that is bad for uploading as well as delivery of parts of the SmugMug page.
    Not if a tracert from my end has no problem getting past the (then) first node of my provider's network. For uploading and browsing you don't need to reach my computer at all, I only need to reach yours (plural).
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    Not if a tracert from my end has no problem getting past the (then) first node of my provider's network. For uploading and browsing you don't need to reach my computer at all, I only need to reach yours (plural).
    No reason to make mountains out of molehills. Both Andy and I said it *can* be bad, which it can be.

Enough now. Move along folks, nothing to see here.
    edited June 20, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    It has actually proven to be very useful to us.

We don't ask out customers to interpret it, we do that ourselves. So, it doesn't have to confuse anyone.
    I'm sure it's useful to you. I'm also curious what interpretation will be in the email I'll receive - it hasn't arrived yet. :gone
    Marjolein Katsma