Options

Industrial Architecture

toadlettoadlet Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
edited June 21, 2007 in Landscapes
Hello Everyone

I haven't posted photos here in quite some time now, so I thought I'd put a change to that!

I really like industrial buildings (in ruin or working) and I came accross this one and saw it had potential. I wanted to evoke a dark and heavy mood with atmosphere. I have 2 photos below; one of the original RAW file, and the next my finished image.

I have a few other versions, such as cropping out some of the foregound, as well as cloning out the branches on the edges of the frame as well.
Anyhow just wanted some honest feedback and comments. Thanx for looking.

164886851-L.jpg

164885748-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 20, 2007
    I'm not really sure what you see in this building, but I do like the conversion you have done. I think I would get rid of the tree branches, especially on the left.

Regards,
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    I agree with Richard. The building is rather mundane, but your conversion is
    fantastic! If you'd care to share the key steps in your workflow I'd really appreciate it.

I also like industrial style architecture. I even have a seperate gallery of such
    buildings
    , since they didn't seem to fit anywhere else. I'll be
    keeping an eye out for your posts in the future hoping to see more
    industrial from you. :)
  • Options
    k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Your conversion is fantastic! What I like about the building is the institutional look to it. I work around a bunch of old buildings built in the late 50's (?) they are very plain, but have an attractive unassuming quality to them... I kind of like that...
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2007
    Thanks for your comments thus far everyone.

I like this sort of photograhpy subject because it is seen as 'mundane' and 'ordinary' by people. As architecture is an art form I think its a very subjective area in terms of what someone views as nice and others us ugly. I like documenting these kinds of buildings as I have an interest in institutional looking builgins that are in the art deco style/era. I like the mood they provoke - dark,conforming,straight lines and their historical role in relation to the architectural styles of the day.
    Its easy now to see a heritage building, say from the 1800s and be awe inspired by it (and rightly so) but all buildings reflect a social history, good, bad, ugly etc, and thats what I like documenting. To me the interest is in the buildings history, not only on first impressions. Only now for instance is Art Deco becoming trendy, whereas even 10 years ago it was frowned upon. It will be the same with modern buildings of today - they are trendy now, ugly when they are in their middle age, and if they survive to be 'old' they will be noted for their heritage values, because most similar examples of such buildings would have been demolished.

I will post some more industrial photos and enjoyed looking at the previous posters site for their photos of the theme.
  • Options
    MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Toadlet

I like it. It's simple like you said. The black and white conversion is right on and gives it more mood. The only thing that I would do different is shoot it with out the trees or more of the trees. I would also look for some thing to add in the foreground if possible. Anyways nice shot.

MIK
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2007
    Mikko wrote:
    Toadlet

I like it. It's simple like you said. The black and white conversion is right on and gives it more mood. The only thing that I would do different is shoot it with out the trees or more of the trees. I would also look for some thing to add in the foreground if possible. Anyways nice shot.

MIK
    Thanks for your comments Mikko. Yes, I too was looking at the foreground and saw it was lacking in the interest. I have also made crops of this version to take out some of the foreground grass, as well as another where I have taken the branches out of the left and right hand corners.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2007
    pyrtek wrote:
    I agree with Richard. The building is rather mundane, but your conversion is
    fantastic! If you'd care to share the key steps in your workflow I'd really appreciate it.

I also like industrial style architecture. I even have a seperate gallery of such
    buildings
    , since they didn't seem to fit anywhere else. I'll be
    keeping an eye out for your posts in the future hoping to see more
    industrial from you. :)

I made 3 images from the original RAW file. One exposed for the sky, the other for the building and the last for the ground. I then mergeed these in Photoshop, tweaking as I went along. I further added some dodge and burn to further add texture to the overall image.