Ch #32 "Lady in Red"

ChristianChristian Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited February 14, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is my first participation in a challenge so I am eager to give it a shot. This was an impromptu shot I toke on my Birthday at a local bar called "Red". Needless to say it provided me the right atmosphere I needed for this challenge.
I removed some red eye (which I'm not sure how that falls under the no PS rule), adjusted the brightness/contrast, and did some croping.
Please, All comments are welcome.

15857005-L.jpg

http://cnelsen.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=15857005

Comments

• gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    The strong red bg works really well, its a shame about the windows just above her head. Not sure if the blurs (is that from 2nd curtain flash?) add anything ne_nau.gif
    All the same still a nice shot
  • digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    The strong red bg works really well, its a shame about the windows just above her head. Not sure if the blurs (is that from 2nd curtain flash?) add anything ne_nau.gif
    All the same still a nice shot
    i like the red, too. But her irises are bugging me out! They look 3-D, with the way the white line between the iris and the pupil pop out so much, especially in her right eye. I like the way she's posed though, it's so hard to take shots like this....I'm downright afraid to even try, Laughing.gif. People in my town just aren't cool with it really.

for some reason I like the blur, but like gubbs, I'm not sure it adds anything, but I don't think it's a negative thing either. :)
  • ChristianChristian Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    I actually wasn't thinging of the challenge when I took the shot. And I caught her when she wasn't looking ( I mostly gave up trying to get friends to pose while we're out and about ). I took it with a Canon s500 point and shot in a fairly dark bar. They had red accent lights all over as their only real lighting. So I used an extended exposure with a fill flash to keep her from bluring. But I was not able to keep still enough to prevent the background from bluring the way it did. I think it was a 1 second exposure. I think the irises are a result of the red-eye tool I used, I don't think I've every really found one that I like %100 percent of the time. After I looked at it again the next day I thought about the challenge. For the accident it was, I didn't think it turn out all that horrid.
    But I'm going to have to remember to pay closer attention to the background when I'm composing my shots, I hadn't even noticed the window (actually Tv) above her head.
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    This is a good catch for the situation. But, I don't think red-eye removal is allowed. It's working on a "spot" rather than all-over treatment. The irises could be worked on some more, blurred around the edges or something if you want to keep it as a portrait shot. Creative idea. thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • ChristianChristian Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    This is a good catch for the situation. But, I don't think red-eye removal is allowed. It's working on a "spot" rather than all-over treatment. The irises could be worked on some more, blurred around the edges or something if you want to keep it as a portrait shot. Creative idea. thumb.gif
    Ya, I wasn't sure about the red-eye removal qualifying under the current rules. But if it doesn't quallify I won't be upset, there are already so many fantastic shots already submitted that I know I would vote for. But I wanted to start participating in hopes of improving my work.
    Thank you very much for the feedback.