D80 or D200?

MyViewMyView Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
edited July 10, 2007 in Cameras
I am shooting with a D70 right now and need to get a new camera, not considering price, would you say buy the D80 or D200?

Just curious as to your thoughts.

Thanks!!!
Lissa
www.photosbylissa.com
www.photosbylissa.blogspot.com

Gear
Nikon D200
Nikon D70
Nikon N70
Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
Nikkor 50mm f1.8
Tamron 28-75 f2.8
Nikkor 18-70
Tamron 75-300
SB-600

Comments

• carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    If it were me I would spend the little extra and get the D200.
    Carl
  • rbrugmanrbrugman Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    What's wrong with your D70? It's a very nice camera. I was looking at the D200 and D80 as well and I settled on the D80. Every so often my mom wants to take a picture and she's not quite ready to have to adjust things so I wanted a camera with at least one automatic mode. I do not regret my decision at all. The D200 feels like a really nice camera though. It is weighted a bit better than the D80 and would be more balanced with a large lens.

That said, the price was a deciding point for me. The D200 body books for $1500 while the D80 body is only $900. I ended up finding a brand new D80 for $850 with the 18-135mm lens from a friend of mine who works wholesale. Got a 5 year Mack warranty for another $50 and I'm set to go for $900. If price wasn't a problem I'd get the D200 but I can't say there is anything wrong with the D80. It is really well built and takes gorgeous pictures.

Robert
  • MyViewMyView Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    I have had to send my D70 in 3 times now, 2 times the auto sensor went out on it and the 3rd time they claim they found nothing wrong with it, but it was the shutter I swear because I had images that came out only having the top of the picture exposed and the bottom all black. Now my camera is changing the settings on me when I am shooting in "M". When I get everything set, nothing changes when I focus and then when I click my shutterspeed will change. It hasppens every time I shoot. So they sent me a label to send it back in, but I don't have the 3-4 weeks that I would have to be without it, I have have 4 shoots in the next two weeks. And they don't send out a temporary camera for me to use while it's in the shop, so I am pretty much screwed. I will be without a camera and that's just not an option right now. I am hoping they replace my camera, since it's been in under warranty so many times, but I can't wait for them to do that either. So I don't know what the heck to do.

I am really torn on what to buy, I actually like the weight of the d200 and would buy a battery clip for the d80 to add weight if I bought that. I have a bad problem holding the camera still, so I think I would have better luck adding a little weight.

Everyone I have talked to that has the d80 is extremely pleased with it and your reply shows tells me that too. Ahhh, I just don't know what to do.

Thanks for the replies, all are extremely appreciated.
    Lissa
    www.photosbylissa.com

Gear
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikon N70
    Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8
    Tamron 28-75 f2.8
    Nikkor 18-70
    Tamron 75-300
    SB-600
  • TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    You should check out the D80 forum and/or the D200 forum on the Nikonians website. This question has been asked dozens of times there, and there have been some really good responses that should help you make a good decision based on your personal situation. I don't suggest posting the question again, just do a search on these forums to find previous threads where it has already been discussed.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Mike
    edited June 21, 2007
    Awesome, thanks so much, I am going there right now!!!
    Lissa
    www.photosbylissa.com

Gear
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikon N70
    Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8
    Tamron 28-75 f2.8
    Nikkor 18-70
    Tamron 75-300
    SB-600
    edited June 21, 2007
    MyView wrote:
    Awesome, thanks so much, I am going there right now!!!

There's a lot of threads about this subject there, and some are better than others. If you have any trouble finding the better ones, let me know and I'll try to find them for you. And if you have any additional questions that aren't answered in those threads, by all means post them here.

And let us know what you decide (even if it's a Canon). rolleyes1.gif
  • DesmondDesmond Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    Did you make a choice ? I have the D80 and really like it . Just about the only real advantage the D200 has in my view is 5 fps compared to 3 fps .
    The battery grip makes a nice addition and prevents the camera doing a nose-dive when it is hanging around my neck during a wedding shoot .
    Nikon D80 , D50 , SB600 , SB800 , Nikon 18-200VR , Tamron 28-75 di 2.8 , Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 , Nikon 50mm 1.8 . Tamron 17-50 f2.8 , Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 .
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    I have never cared for SD cards.....so just this would make me go for the D200....but I also like the idea of being able to connect a GPS unit (by cable) to the camera and log all of my shots especially landscapes and wildlife.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    Wait a minute here. You did say money was no object. If that's the case, the D200 is the camera to get. Have you held the two of them? Once you compare, you will realize that the D200 is worth the extra dollars.
  • rbrugmanrbrugman Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    I'm going to agree. If money is no object, get the D200. I'm just saying that if money matters, the D80 is still an excellent camera.
  • VizhonVizhon Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    MyView wrote:
    I am shooting with a D70 right now and need to get a new camera, not considering price, would you say buy the D80 or D200?

Thanks!!!

eek7.gif I know I'm not the first to express this thought, but if the price isn't an issue, just get the D200.

It's a great Camera. I don't have one, myself, but know a few sports photographers in the area that do. I fell in love with Fujifilm's remake of the D200, the S5Pro, and will probably be getting a D200 as my next backup because the body is my favorite of any I've ever handled. It is built like a tank, and the only openning in the camera lacking a very effective weather seal is the one the lens attaches to. And the feel of the camera... It's just... Well... Uhm... Go to a camera shop that has one and just ask to hold it.
    edited June 30, 2007
    So.........

My new D200 arrived yesterday!!! I LOVE IT!

At first I was a little overwhelmed, but got the Manual out and got my settings set and in no time I was clicking away. My first reaction was holy smokes is this thing fast. My 1 year old daughter runs from the camera, now I'm faster than she is. Laughing.gif

Thank-you all so much for your help. I greatly appreciate it. I really had a hard time deciding. But in the end I decided that the durability and speed fo the D200 won out for me. And I don't find it big at all actually and I have really small hands.

I am thinking of getting the handstrap. Anyone use this, recommend it? Since my hands are small I was thinking this would help give me a little security with this expensive piece of equipment in my hand.

clap.gifto all of you for your help. I sure love it here!
    Lissa
    www.photosbylissa.com

Gear
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikon N70
    Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8
    Tamron 28-75 f2.8
    Nikkor 18-70
    Tamron 75-300
    SB-600
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    MyView wrote:
    So.........

At first I was a little overwhelmed, but got the Manual out and got my settings set and in no time I was clicking away. My first reaction was holy smokes is this thing fast. My 1 year old daughter runs from the camera, now I'm faster than she is. Laughing.gif

Thank-you all so much for your help. I greatly appreciate it. I really had a hard time deciding. But in the end I decided that the durability and speed fo the D200 won out for me. And I don't find it big at all actually and I have really small hands.

I am thinking of getting the handstrap. Anyone use this, recommend it? Since my hands are small I was thinking this would help give me a little security with this expensive piece of equipment in my hand.

Congrats on the smart decision!

Now go out there and take some cute pictures. Be sure to post them here for us to view!
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    MyView wrote:

Thanks!!!
    Edit: I just missed your last post.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • michaelnmichaeln Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    I think you made the right decision with the D200. I wish I'd bought one instead of the D80 I have and don't like very much.
    Making Mediocre Images in San Francisco, CA
    http://michaelnel.smugmug.com
  • epettiepetti Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2007
    Mind elaborating on that a bit? From everything I've heard including in this discussion the D200 is a better camera in terms of build and a few features here and there, but the D80 is not a significant drop from that so much so that you would not like the D80 very much and yet really like the D200. What about the D80 don't you like?

I'm asking primarily because I'm very interested in getting a D80. However, the D200 isn't even a consideration for me and the D80 is more at the upper end for me rather than at a lower end.

Ernie
    edited July 6, 2007
    I think it's more a confidence & feel issue than anything else. The D80 *feels* cheap to me, plastic body and all. The kit 18-135 lens *feels* cheap, although it's very sharp. I have no confidence in the Matrix metering, although since it has moved me over to spot metering and manual exposure I would probably stick with that on the D200 too. I like the D200's more pro feel, lack of stupid features I don't need (like all those auto modes).

I have large hands and the D80 feels too small to me too, and it doesn't balance well with heavier lenses. I fully intend to get a D200 when I can afford to and at that time I will be better able to compare them. Right now my comparison is based on owning the D80 and having handled and played with a D200.
    edited July 7, 2007
    michaeln wrote:
    I think it's more a confidence & feel issue than anything else. The D80 *feels* cheap to me, plastic body and all. The kit 18-135 lens *feels* cheap, although it's very sharp. I have no confidence in the Matrix metering, although since it has moved me over to spot metering and manual exposure I would probably stick with that on the D200 too. I like the D200's more pro feel, lack of stupid features I don't need (like all those auto modes).

I have large hands and the D80 feels too small to me too, and it doesn't balance well with heavier lenses. I fully intend to get a D200 when I can afford to and at that time I will be better able to compare them. Right now my comparison is based on owning the D80 and having handled and played with a D200.

Have you looked into the MB-D80 battery grip? Although you will probably not like the plastic feel, it will make the D80 much larger in your hands and provide much bettr balance with larger lenses.

It sounds like the D200 would have been a better camera for you, but I don't think your reasoning necessarily makes it the right decision for someone else. For many people, the D200 is too much camera -- too big, too heavy, too complex and lacking in preset auto modes. So for them, the D80 is the better camera. I think it just depends on the person as to which camera is better.

Regards,
    Mike
    edited July 7, 2007
    Tanuki wrote:
    Have you looked into the MB-D80 battery grip?

I've considered it, but I really don't want to put more money into this D80 body. As I said, I intend to switch to a D200 as soon as I can.
    For many people, the D200 is too much camera -- too big, too heavy, too complex and lacking in preset auto modes. So for them, the D80 is the better camera. I think it just depends on the person as to which camera is better.

You're absolutely right on all counts, Mike!
  • DianneDianne Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2007
    D80 or D200
    Congratulations! I think you'll continue to LOVE it. I have the 12-24 and the 18-200 lenses; now I'm coveting "big glass".
    Re your question about the handstrap. I don't use a handstrap. But, this is a heavy camera so you need a "good" strap. I replaced the Nikon neck straps after one worked itself loose and the camera rolled down the steps of an airplane onto the tarmac. The filter on the front of the lens was busted all to heck, but the camera and lens survived. Now I only use Op/Tech USA straps -- one less thing to worry about. They have straps for all uses and tastes (and hand grips):

http://optechusa.com/category/second/?CATEGORY_ID=4

This is the particular strap I like:
    http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=23&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=

Enjoy - Dianne
    MyView wrote:
    So.........

edited July 9, 2007
    I am another fan of the Op/Tech Pro Loop strap. Much more comfortable than the cheesy stock Nikon strap and far more secure.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    I watched this thread from the beginning, but as I have the D200 and don't have a D80, I didn't want to come in and suggest the D200 when I hadn't tried the D80. But I will now tell you some features that I really like about the D200 in case you haven't found them yet.

I start first by saying that I take photos at horse shows for a living, and I have just this first half of the year moved from the D100 to the D200. In 4 years I have basically gone through five D100s. These D100s can still take photos, but they just can't seem to be cleaned out any longer. Horse shows put the camera into a lot of dust, and even bags and Aquatechs don't seem to keep them clean very long. So money is an object. I just couldn't consider getting a D2x and needing five of those in 4 years! Understand that equestrian is a fine mix of sports and portrait photography....

Here are the D200 features I like that you might find nice:
    1. Flash sync speed is 1/250 (D200) vs. 1/200 (D80) vs 1/180 (D100). Very important when shooting the horses in an indoor arena.
    2. 5 fps, adjustable to 4 or 3 vs. the D80's fixed 3fps. A horse moves a long way in 1/3second! With the D100 I had to take only one shot over a jump. It might be up high or a near landing, but if I tried to take both, I basically got both wrong. Now I can take the proper position over the jump and just hold down the shutter release and get a few other great shots. I can also guage the horse' speed upon approach and make a quick adjustment to 3 or 4 fps to get an over and a landing.. It's cheap, but it's another picture!
    3. CF vs. SD. Just can't stand those SD.
    4. Weight: 1'5oz D80 vs 1'13oz D200. Panning to follow a subject had great momentum to keep sequences centered. Even I prefer the 80-200 f2.8 AFS to the 70-200 f2.8 VR to have a bit more "momentum."
    5. 1/8000 shutter speed D200 vs. 1/4000. I shoot Aperture Priority at f2.8 almost always, and on bright days, it's another stop of flexibilty before I have to start messing with exposure compensation to keep white horses and saddle pads from getting blown out....

Then there is the WB adjustment to a preset Kelvin, same in both cameras, that you will find very nice. Learn about it and use it!thumb.gif

I do have someone working for me who uses a D80, and I must say that either/both fo these cameras are now giving my customers a nice jump in photo quality.

Onward!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    I watched this thread from the beginning, but as I have the D200 and don't have a D80, I didn't want to come in and suggest the D200 when I hadn't tried the D80. But I will now tell you some features that I really like about the D200 in case you haven't found them yet.

I start first by saying that I take photos at horse shows for a living, and I have just this first half of the year moved from the D100 to the D200. In 4 years I have basically gone through five D100s. These D100s can still take photos, but they just can't seem to be cleaned out any longer. Horse shows put the camera into a lot of dust, and even bags and Aquatechs don't seem to keep them clean very long. So money is an object. I just couldn't consider getting a D2x and needing five of those in 4 years! Understand that equestrian is a fine mix of sports and portrait photography....

Here are the D200 features I like that you might find nice:
    1. Flash sync speed is 1/250 (D200) vs. 1/200 (D80) vs 1/180 (D100). Very important when shooting the horses in an indoor arena.
    2. 5 fps, adjustable to 4 or 3 vs. the D80's fixed 3fps. A horse moves a long way in 1/3second! With the D100 I had to take only one shot over a jump. It might be up high or a near landing, but if I tried to take both, I basically got both wrong. Now I can take the proper position over the jump and just hold down the shutter release and get a few other great shots. I can also guage the horse' speed upon approach and make a quick adjustment to 3 or 4 fps to get an over and a landing.. It's cheap, but it's another picture!
    3. CF vs. SD. Just can't stand those SD.
    4. Weight: 1'5oz D80 vs 1'13oz D200. Panning to follow a subject had great momentum to keep sequences centered. Even I prefer the 80-200 f2.8 AFS to the 70-200 f2.8 VR to have a bit more "momentum."
    5. 1/8000 shutter speed D200 vs. 1/4000. I shoot Aperture Priority at f2.8 almost always, and on bright days, it's another stop of flexibilty before I have to start messing with exposure compensation to keep white horses and saddle pads from getting blown out....

Then there is the WB adjustment to a preset Kelvin, same in both cameras, that you will find very nice. Learn about it and use it!thumb.gif

I do have someone working for me who uses a D80, and I must say that either/both fo these cameras are now giving my customers a nice jump in photo quality.

Onward!

I agree with everything Hoofclix just said. I shoot horses as well with a D200 and a 80-200 2.8. The 5 FPS is very nice for that. I shot with a D100 before this camera, and the D100 is still a fantastic camera, but the D200 is just amazing. A real workhorse. I just shot my first event with this up at Estes Park, CO and got about 3,500 shots total. It was very easy to work with right off the bat.

I picked up a D80 when they first came out and the cheap plastic feel was a big turnoff. Kept using the D100 over getting a D80 for another 7 months before I picked up the D200. No regrets. The battery pack makes it a little too unweildly for me.
    My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
    regular site
    oo
    smug site
  • VizhonVizhon Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Hindsight wrote:
    The battery pack makes it a little too unweildly for me.

Really? I love the battery grip. Yeah, it makes it big and it adds to what is already a heavy body. I'm built thin and small handed for a guy, but dont find the weight unwieldy. It weighs heavy on the neck, but I cross-sling my camera when not using it and it's light worn that way. The benefits of it make me not in any way regret getting it, though.

Mind you, I don't photograph horses, yet. I do mostly nature photography and landscapes now, but I'm flexible and shoot a wide range of stuff. This coming weekend I'm going to be at the Oregon Country Fair, shooting mostly for myself but some under contract for a long-time business aquaintance of mine. Also, I don't actually use a D200. Plan to get one as soon as I can afford it, for flexibility and back up, but right now I use the FujiFilm remake - the S5Pro. I fell in love with it for it's wide dynamic range and low noise high ISO. A d200 would be for the little bit more resolution, 5 fps, and be used in very different situations.

The battery grip, though offers several benefits:

1.) The ability to keep the camera on constantly when shooting, switching out batteries one at a time. They do not share the load evenly and never go dead at the same time, so you can keep a battery recharging and the camera usable constantly with just 3 or 4 batteries. It is a step beyond just extended battery life. Also, I find I can switch the batteries out much quicker with the grip than fumbling with the little (removable) hatch on the bottom the camera.

2.) Verticle Grip - enough said.

3.) The additional mass to the body of the camera further aids in resisting or maintaining even inertia, and also balances heavier lenses better than without it.

4.) It is an additional piece of armor when and if the camera gets dropped. With it on, my camera has not yet taken a drop abrasion to the body of the camera itself. Only abrasion to the body of the camera was from being brushed up against a wall.

I can't think of a negative aspect that is more than just a mild inconvenience, like needing to take the grip off to fit it into a smaller bag.
  • WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    HHHmmm...
    If you are not in a hurry ,as the D200 is discontinued now , and the 25th being Nikon's 90th anniversary , there just "MIGHT" be a D200 upgrade ????????? :D
    edited July 9, 2007
    WildWally wrote:
    HHHmmm...
    If you are not in a hurry ,as the D200 is discontinued now , and the 25th being Nikon's 90th anniversary , there just "MIGHT" be a D200 upgrade ????????? <slurp , slurp !!!>:D
    Maybe discontinued, but there're a bunch still available out there, and the price should just come down... (It's still on the NikonUSA site, and I was buying D100s long after they got discontinued!)

Battery grip is a real plus. Gives balance going from portrait to landscape. I don't ever change hand position to the alternate shutter release. The battery usage is also a very nice feature, but I don't know how this compares to the D80. Intertia is of great importance when following a subject. All of that really makes it a great alternative to the D2x and/or D2H...
    Mark
    edited July 10, 2007
    I sold my D80 and some of my lenses last night, hopefully selling more lenses soon. I have not decided what to do. I may jump ship to Canon, since I have not been pleased with Nikon this time around.

I may just quit photography altogether (again), as I have not been pleased with my results, and I certainly cannot blame them on the D80. In the meantime I'll accumulate some $$$ so when I decide what to do I'll be able to.
  • HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Maybe discontinued, but there're a bunch still available out there, and the price should just come down... (It's still on the NikonUSA site, and I was buying D100s long after they got discontinued!)

Battery grip is a real plus. Gives balance going from portrait to landscape. I don't ever change hand position to the alternate shutter release. The battery usage is also a very nice feature, but I don't know how this compares to the D80. Intertia is of great importance when following a subject. All of that really makes it a great alternative to the D2x and/or D2H...

As a steadycam type weight I'll buy, but for power not so much.

I'm not sure about you guys, but when it's 97 degrees and you've been shooting on your feet for 2-3 hours per session for days and your back is hurting from the camera, even with the camera clipped to the front of a shoulder harness rig to distribute the weight, your feet are sore (Dr. Schols Gel inserts are the best valued accessorie in my arsenal,) that battery pack is the straw that breaks my back.

It's big, it's ugly, and it's actually kinda cheap. A fresh battery lasts me for 3 hours of near constant shooting. It takes all of 10 seconds to swap out the battery. I keep two of them charging back at home base wherever that is and one ready to go in one of my pouches. I just think they're overhyped is all.
    My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
    regular site
    oo
    smug site
    edited July 10, 2007
    Well, I certainly understand that. Others who work with me just pop it on a mo-pod, but I hate the restrictions that a pod causes me.This is all personal preference.

The one thing the D100 battery pack had that was critical is the voice annnotation button. A rider passed, and you just spoke the horse number into the mic on the last photo of a series and went on. Back in the trailer you just listen and move. Nikon obviously didn't have me and my kind in mind when they left that feature off the MB-D200. (Also, Nikon Editor, part of View, was far superior to Picture Project for basic corrections....) I agree that the battery pack is kind of cheap.

Your suggestion is quite good if there's a weight problem. I wonder how you'd feel this coming Sunday after I'll have been shooting for 8-9hours. All I can do is really use good technique holding it up with my left arm, and masage that right elbow at the end of the day! 3 batteries gets me through the day as well!
    Mark