#3: Having a Ball
4% 1 vote
Keep Shooting
20% 5 votes

Comments

• S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    FWIW, little C&C

#1 I'd consider tightening the crop on that work to draw the eye in a bit; love that shot, got my vote.

But, I shoot mostly sports, we just shoot tight and crop tighter!
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    #1 is an awesome shot. nice capture =c)
    the other 2 are nice, but not really contenders in my eyes
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Having a sister is one of my biggest joys in life, so I certainly go along with #1. Plus I like the shot alot! I also agree that a tighter crop would make it stronger.
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    How's this crop?
    165094301-L.jpg
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    165094301-L.jpg
    Really, really nice, although I'd keep more at the top personally. Great image. :D
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    You're doing nice work! Would you like to share how you did the B/W conversion as well? I struggle with those!
    edited June 21, 2007
    Shhhh...don't tell anyone, but I am probably the most untechnical photographer here. I don't know how to use Photoshop (gasp!), I use Picasa (again, gasp!) to crop and do minor color balancing on my shots--

For this one, I used the b/w converstion tool, then played with the highlights and shadows until I thought they looked good.

When I moved from film to digital SLR, I lost a lot in my technical skills and feel as if I'm starting over on a lot of levels. I am not scared of Photoshop, but it seems like such a freaking task to learn.

I'd like to move from where I am to a more technically proficent place.
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    Shhhh...don't tell anyone, but I am probably the most untechnical photographer here. I don't know how to use Photoshop (gasp!), I use Picasa (again, gasp!) to crop and do minor color balancing on my shots--

For this one, I used the b/w converstion tool, then played with the highlights and shadows until I thought they looked good.

When I moved from film to digital SLR, I lost a lot in my technical skills and feel as if I'm starting over on a lot of levels. I am not scared of Photoshop, but it seems like such a freaking task to learn.

I'd like to move from where I am to a more technically proficent place.

There are quite a few movies showing you basic and advanced Photoshop techniques. Great way to learn PS. I can't remember any of their names but I'm sure if you just google it, you will find some. Any one else wanna jump in with some names?
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Gosh...I was going to suggest a different approach and that is to get Photoshop Elements, which is a fraction of the cost of what Photoshop is. Use Elements to teach yourself the basics and then work your way up to Photoshop.

BTW, there are some really good PS tutorials right here in Dgrin. mwink.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Definately #1. What a lovely, lovely shot. To me it says intimacy more than joy and makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside but not joyous. However, from the other responses it is clear that others get the joy message loud and clear. Sometimes an entry that is overall compelling but not necessarily super strong on the theme makes it to the top. Your photograph is definitely compelling and very special among the children shots being entered. Good luck!!

Virginia

Email
    edited June 21, 2007
    I do have PS Elements and plan on taking the plunge this summer. Thanks, everyone! ETA: I changed the crop in the final. Check it out!

Jesse
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    I do have PS Elements and plan on taking the plunge this summer. Thanks, everyone! ETA: I changed the crop in the final. Check it out!

Jesse

I used picasa before I got elements, and it was not that hard of a transition... I used a lot of the auto features on elements while I figured out how everything worked... I love that first photo, it is so beautiful....
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:

Jesse

clap.gif Love it.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Love the crop! Elements is very intuitive and yet a simplified version of Photoshop. It's a very powerful tool. I had to wean myself away from it when I started using Photoshop!!! I missed how easy it was! Good luck in the challenge.
    edited June 22, 2007
    Well, 5 "Keep Shooting" responses but no helpful critique from those voters! C'mon, gang. We're all friends, here.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    Hiya Indie, I voted for "Sisters"

I feel that the photo expresses a sweet and innocent intimacy between sisters, that many will wish they had a sister, ....My only thing is that I wish I could see a bit more of the eye of the sister on the left, but then one could think that extends the mystery of it all.

I love the soft tendrils vs the straight hair, then I wonder what they are cooking up, that makes them have to talk so closely in such a "hush "hush" manner...

I can't really say what emotion it sparked, but I was smiling, as I looked at the photo, and it brought back many good memories!!

I really like it....

Good Luck in whichever you choose.
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    Well, 5 "Keep Shooting" responses but no helpful critique from those voters! C'mon, gang. We're all friends, here.

Hey Indie! Here's to coming out of the "vote-closet!"

I voted "keep shooting" simply because I don't think any of the photos you put up follow either side of the theme. #1, the best photo of them all, brings forth from me more of a touching view of sisterly love. I have two daughters, so I related immediately. I also think that the B&W conversion of that one even further masks whatever joy that it started with. But that's just me. There are six judges on this who will each have their own viewpoint and who will neither require color for joy nor B&W for sorrow.

But let me be clear.. #1 smacked me in the face as great when I saw it, and the advice on it that you've gotten already has helped improve it!

Onward!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    Okay, okay, I'll be brave as one of the "keep shooting" people!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this shot. Did I say "LOVE"? Seriously, it's amazing and has so much emotion. But the emotion that comes across is "LOVE" not, "JOY" to me. It's affection, caring, sweet sisterly love, but not joy. That's the only reason I say that....

(As a note, I typed this up several hours ago! And I never sent it... Ugh! Sorry... Silly kids getting in my way. rolleyes1.gif )
    edited June 22, 2007
    THANK you Mark and Andi! I appreciate the feedback.
    edited June 22, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Love the crop! Elements is very intuitive and yet a simplified version of Photoshop. It's a very powerful tool. I had to wean myself away from it when I started using Photoshop!!! I missed how easy it was! Good luck in the challenge.

Thanks for the PS encouragement folks!
    edited June 22, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Hiya Indie, I voted for "Sisters"

I feel that the photo expresses a sweet and innocent intimacy between sisters, that many will wish they had a sister, ....My only thing is that I wish I could see a bit more of the eye of the sister on the left, but then one could think that extends the mystery of it all.

Yes, this was my feeling, too. I wish I could have gotten more of her hair. She was being quite wild, though. Thanks for the feedback.