Shots from the Back & Snapshot -vs- Image

JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
edited June 21, 2007 in Sports
I have received lots of emails from board members asking why I am so critical of images from the back or images not showing faces and why I call some images “snapshots“.

The only real answer I have is the answer I have been given over and over by commercial clients, magazines and newspapers....

Here’s what I have heard over and over many times…
"We want to see faces, if not faces, fronts, body language, movement, intent, direction, focus, give me something that tells me where the story is heading!!"

The only shots I have ever sold or had published that had backs or shot from the back were shots of scoreboards or other things that had a story going on in front of the persons with their backs to the camera, like they were watching a game, race or something.

As far as “snapshots” compared to images/pictures here’s the difference in my personal opinion and from the opinions I gathered from photo and art directors at magazine and newspaper offices during meetings and editing sessions;

A snapshot is just what it says, Here’s the meaning according to dictionary.com

1. an informal photograph, esp. one taken quickly by a hand-held camera.

2. to photograph informally and quickly.

A snapshot is a picture that has NO meaning unless you know the people in the picture or have a financial or advertising interest in the picture.

EXAMPLE:
Snapshots of a High School Prom, Birthday Party, Graduation etc. the images have NO meaning to anyone that doesn’t know the people in the pictures, hence a snapshot.

EXAMPLE:
Sports snapshots taken from the BACK showing NO faces are no good unless you know who the player or players are or have some interest in the snapshot.

Without a face there must be something going on in the picture that will make it worth keeping, just a cool shot showing a ball or player in the air is useless without faces and emotions unless something really unusual or crazy is going on to tell the story from the back….

I hope this sheds some light on why I say and critique images the way I do.

I’m not a know it all and don’t want to come across as one or arrogant or better than anyone else, it has taken me a long time and lots of heartache's, headache's, meeting's and editing sessions to come to these conclusions so I thought I would share and maybe save others from some of the grief in the long run by making mistakes they weren’t aware of and why I critique the way I do.

Please Take Care and keep shooting....

Joe

Comments

• HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    If the only standard by which you judge a photo is whether a newspaper or magazine will publish it, then sure, shooting "fronts" is probably the safer approach. But lots of good photos don't get published, for any number of reasons, so dismissing something as a snapshot merely because it doesn't conform with one narrow standard isn't being very fair. We're about good photos here, no?

For the record: I often see published motorsport photos captured from the back, and I often like them.
    Tim
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Joe:

I appreciate your comments. For me, the whole point of DGrin is to get critiques and suggestions on how to improve. If all I want is compliments, then I'll just show the photos to my mom.

However, I as I get the critiques, I also keep a couple of things in mind--

1) what is the context of the photo--not all are meant for newspapers/magazines, etc. Since many of the shots are for parents, they frequently want something which may generate zero interest from a commercial publication (ie: close up of a face with no real action...) Also, parents of the third string kid want pictures too--and that kid may just not get anywhere near the action very often...

2) strictly following the crowd gets you photos like everyone else. Since photography is also an art--I think you need to break the rules every now and then.

3) everyone has an opinion. Some are more experienced or educated (in this particular arena) than others, but their are still just opinions--and there is no unanimity. I've had people give me great compliments on some of photos I thought were sub-par, and not care for ones I really love. Since I would like to make a few $'s off this, I try to learn and understand what will be popular/desired. However, since photography is not my main job (by a long shot)--I'm really trying to make myself happy with what I'm shooting. And sometimes I like something for reasons applicable only to me, and I'm going to keep liking the shot no matter what anyone else says...

However, my bottom line is--when I post here, I'm looking for your input--and I thank any of you who will take the risk to give me your honest critique (even if it hurts a little...)
    Regards

Will
    Well said Will. I agree with what you've already stated.
    Lionel
    LT
    Sony A700&VG; KM 7D&VG; KM 5D; Min 28-75/2.8; 50/1.7; Tammie 17-50/2.8; Tammie 90/2.8 Macro; Min 80-200/2.8; and Min 300/2.8, two flashes, and a couple of other accessories.
  • JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Damage control 101..Laughing.gif
    Tim and Will,

I agree with what you guys are saying 100%

I was responding to the majority of the emails I was getting in regards to specific reasons that led me to make the comments about shooting from the back and the reason I call some images snapshots.

In NO way,shape or form did I mean to imply or make anyone feel I am dismissing their images or choice of shooting style, we all have our own style and thats what keeps us diverse and creative.

I am no certainly no better than anyone else and do not want any of my comments to come across in that way at all, I only want to help when I can with honest positive advice, suggestions and positive critique.

Some of us are happy with where we are and dont really want to pursue a career or anything beyond just having fun and shooting as a hobby.

For those that are doing it as a hobby or just wanting to share for the sake of positive critique thats great, maybe they just need help in getting better at exposure or other things, thats what this board is for in all respects.

I love seeing the candid snapshot type pictures, it reminds me why I love photogrpahy and picked it up in the first place.

*However, for a few that want to take it to the next level and make a career or start a business I was offering experiences and advice that may help keep them from getting stuck or thinking that every clear shot is a money making shot.. shots from the back/rear are great but rarely get bought, sold published, not always the case but most of the time.

I was just wanting to relay the message that the individual should not get in the habit of depending on that type shot to further their career and should focus on moving around for a better position that would offer more field of view and help tell and layer the story and draw the viewer in for a closer look.

As far as shots from the back/rear, some of the most powerfull and beautiful images I have ever seen were silhouette's from the back/rear or the side. Even the MX bike images posted here would be awesome posters with the mud and dirt coming at you 100 mph, those were great guys.

** Will hit the nail on the head for sure,heres how that affected me when I started.....

When I started out my images sucked, theres no sugar coating it, they really did.. I would ask friends, family and co-workers (long before I came to the paper) what they thought... they would always say "they look great, they are awesome" but in reality they sucked....

After coming on this board and a couple other boards and getting HONEST critique I realized that in fact my images were terrible.. I went back and started asking the same friends, family, co-workers why they didnt tell me the truth and most said,"we didnt want to hurt your feelings, or we didnt want to make you mad etc."....

The bad part is I thought I was doing it right and I wasnt... It took a long time to start over and rethink the process but with the help of this board and HONEST advice and critique I was able to move forward into the career I wanted, yep got my feelings hurt along the way but used the advice and honest critique to fine tune my shooting skills....

The only person we need to make happy with what we shoot is ourselves. Others opinions are great but the intent and purpose of the image is purely in the heart and soul of the individual taking it.

I greatly apologize for any person feeling that I was being narrow minded or arrogant in any way....

I understand that not everyone is looking to sale or publish images and they just want some simple, honest advice and critique..

Like I said in the first part of my original post I was responding to a large number of emails asking the same questions, I felt it would be easier to post it as a topic than to answer 37 emails asking basically the same thing...

It also allows us to get other opinions and points of view that will help us all out by understanding what we are really looking for and where and how far we want to take our photography in the long run.

Joe
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Hi Joe here's some i took last night from behind that i think work

1 high iso no NR
    165266937-M.jpg

165266337-M.jpg
  • JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Those are some nice shots, they would work for sure as shots from the back, like the MX pictures, all these would be great posters.

What is the pole thing behind the player? I have never seen this game before, is it like baseball, kinda confusing with the gloves and shin guards?
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    JoeL wrote:
    Those are some nice shots, they would work for sure as shots from the back, like the MX pictures, all these would be great posters.

What is the pole thing behind the player? I have never seen this game before, is it like baseball, kinda confusing with the gloves and shin guards?

They are called wickets on top are the bails if the player or the ball knocks them off they are out, I believe baseball is based on cricket