Is the DPP Brightness Slider Destructive?

toadlettoadlet Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
edited June 23, 2007 in Finishing School
Does the use of the brightness slider in DPP RAW converter software degrade your images? Im not talking about the EV compensation slider in the RAW dialoug box, I mean the one in the RGB dialoug box.

I ask this coming from a background of using RSE for my RAW workflow and it has no such slider. I am now wanting to use DPP as both mentioned programs seem to have so much more noise even when the image has not been touched at all.

Coming from a background in Photoshop I was always taught not to use the brightness/contrast sliders as it wrecks and image as it only moves the white and dark points left and right, but does not spread them as is done when using levels and/or curves adjustments.

Why then is the brightness slider in the RGB tab in DPP available if its supposedly destructive?

Comments

• toadlettoadlet Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    Anyone?
    Anyone?
    toadlet wrote:
    Does the use of the brightness slider in DPP RAW converter software degrade your images? Im not talking about the EV compensation slider in the RAW dialoug box, I mean the one in the RGB dialoug box.

I ask this coming from a background of using RSE for my RAW workflow and it has no such slider. I am now wanting to use DPP as both mentioned programs seem to have so much more noise even when the image has not been touched at all.

Coming from a background in Photoshop I was always taught not to use the brightness/contrast sliders as it wrecks and image as it only moves the white and dark points left and right, but does not spread them as is done when using levels and/or curves adjustments.

Why then is the brightness slider in the RGB tab in DPP available if its supposedly destructive?
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    toadlet wrote:
    Does the use of the brightness slider in DPP RAW converter software degrade your images?
    toadlet wrote:
    Why then is the brightness slider in the RGB tab in DPP available if its (sic) supposedly destructive?
    Are you using the terms 'degrade' and 'destructive' interchangeably, because they mean different things. eek7.gif

I'm sure there are folks more qualified than I, and who are familiar with DPP, who can help you if your question is clear.