Challenge 32. Minority wins?

Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
edited February 15, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dear friends.
This is the second photo (the first was "Close to gold" http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=6316 ), which I'm considering to put (of course only one) into the 32 challenge. Though disengaging from green-black background the predominant color is a color of white balls (the majority), I think that yellow one wins here - due to "I'm not like others..." reason.
Taken with my sony f707 02/12/05
1891.jpg

I understand that this photo is too simple and not that much attractive as the first one.
What do you think?
Spasibo,
Yuri

or

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Dear friends.
    This is the second photo (the first was "Close to gold" http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=6316 ), which I'm considering to put (of course only one) into the 32 challenge. Though disengaging from green-black background the predominant color is a color of white balls (the majority), I think that yellow one wins here - due to "I'm not like others..." reason.

I understand that this photo is too simple and not that much attractive as the first one.
    What do you think?
    Spasibo,
    Yuri

or
    Hi Yuriwave.gif I really like it.. and to me the yellow ball definitely says "predominent color" just as you say, he's different :D
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 14, 2005
    Yuri:

I think this shot is great but beyond color and composition I'm seeing something interesting.

To my eye the multiple shadows seems to be causing a strobe effect - a vibration, that makes the balls seem to be vibrating. A kinetic energy! Do you see it? I think it's fantastic.
  • LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Yuri:

I think this shot is great but beyond color and composition I'm seeing something interesting.

To my eye the multiple shadows seems to be causing a strobe effect - a vibration, that makes the balls seem to be vibrating. A kinetic energy! Do you see it? I think it's fantastic.
    I thought it was just my eyes this early in the morning!!!

It seems to move.... Very nice idea... I like it
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 14, 2005
    I had a hard time figuring out what was distracting my eyes at first - double exposure? shallow DOF? A ha... double shadows! Very interesting effect. Have to admit, I can't look at it too long as it makes my eyes bug out. I think the colors and composition are very strong, could you reshoot with a simpler lighting scheme? Just curious to see how it would look.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Dear friends.

What do you think?
    Spasibo,
    Yuri

or
    the gold one is definitely more challenge worthy, but this shot is cool, I like the way it makes me uncomfortable (physically speaking in my orbital sockets). :D
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 14, 2005
    of course there's also the hidden message of the old riddle...

"which came first..."
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 14, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I had a hard time figuring out what was distracting my eyes at first - double exposure? shallow DOF? A ha... double shadows! Very interesting effect. Have to admit, I can't look at it too long as it makes my eyes bug out. I think the colors and composition are very strong, could you reshoot with a simpler lighting scheme? Just curious to see how it would look.

I thought it was me at first too, but the shadows are not double - they are triple!! Also the bottom of the balls does not seem as sharp as the top either.

Not sure whether I like this image or not, but it does have something for sure, Yuri. Interresting effect.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    Hmmm, this is very interesting. I think it could be better for the challenge if the white balls were green. Then you would definitely have the predomenant color. The shadows would still be there, and the yellow ball. I'm not sure if it would have the impact, but it might be worth a try. ne_nau.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog