edited June 23, 2007 in Cameras
does anyone have anything to say about this lens..thanks janis
(2) Canon 20d, (1) canon 30d, 70-200is 2.8, tamron 17-50,canon 50mm 1.4
http://www.photographybywidget.com

Comments

• jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Good Evening,
    Photozone.de/8reviews/index.html has a good review with all the teckie info as well as real world sample pics. It looks like a good lens, better then the new Sigma 18-50 DC EX Macro, according to their report. Good Luck.
    Have a nice night :D
    Jim...
  • gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    When I was looking at a fast walkaround lens I shot the Tamron and the Canon 17-40 f4. I walked away with the Tamron as it preforemed better than the Canon I shot. My results may be unique, but I love the lens. Quick AF although a bit noisy. The only thing I think I would replace it with now is the 24-70 f2.8L that Canon makes. I got to shoot a friends copy and it is a sweet, heavy hunk of glass. If you have a camera store near you go shoot the Tammy and see if you like it. I did.
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    When I was looking at a fast walkaround lens I shot the Tamron and the Canon 17-40 f4. I walked away with the Tamron as it preforemed better than the Canon I shot. My results may be unique, but I love the lens. Quick AF although a bit noisy. The only thing I think I would replace it with now is the 24-70 f2.8L that Canon makes. I got to shoot a friends copy and it is a sweet, heavy hunk of glass. If you have a camera store near you go shoot the Tammy and see if you like it. I did.
    Good Morning,
    I agree 100%. The Tamron has 10mm of additional reach, starts at 2.8, rather then 4.0, is quite sharp at the center wide open, and is about $200 less then the Canon.
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    magicpic wrote:
    does anyone have anything to say about this lens..thanks janis

I own this lens and the IQ is very good. Unfortunately the way I needed to use it, in low light, it has problems. The AF in low light is not very fast and very noisy (as I was using it in concerts & plays this was not acceptable).

I have replaced this lens with the Canon EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS which works just great for me and my situation.

If you can live with the AF noise the Tamron is an excellent choice and less expensive than the Canon.
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    I have the Tamron and love it. I previously had the canon 17-40 and was not impressed with it at all. I'm sure it was just my copy but I got rid of it, got the Tamron, and I still had almost $200 to spend on other stuff.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com