Do you allow others to buy?

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited June 25, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I've just joined and found out that someone on another site purchased prints of some of my concert photos (she told me). What is the consensus here among the non pro-account members of smugmug about allowing others to purchase your prints? Do the majority allow this or not?
Is one alerted that someone has done so from an FYI standpoint? It seems not, but I thought I'd ask in case I've missed something.
Thanks for your feedback. I'm interested to hear others' opinions.

:scratch
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Patti wrote:
    I've just joined and found out that someone on another site purchased prints of some of my concert photos (she told me). What is the consensus here among the non pro-account members of smugmug about allowing others to purchase your prints? Do the majority allow this or not?
    Is one alerted that someone has done so from an FYI standpoint? It seems not, but I thought I'd ask in case I've missed something.
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm interested to hear others' opinions.

headscratch.gif
    If your galleries are public and printing is enabled, anyone can order prints. As best I know, only pro accounts can get notified when orders are placed.

If you want friends/family to be able to order prints, but not strangers, then you'll have to use some form of non public galleries. Your options are: a password protected site, password protected galleries, private galleries (where you send out the link) or sharegroup galleries (where you send out the link).

If only you are ordering prints from your galleries, then you can leave prints ordering disabled, enable it before you place your own order, then disable it after the order is placed.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    If your galleries are public and printing is enabled, anyone can order prints. As best I know, only pro accounts can get notified when orders are placed.

If you want friends/family to be able to order prints, but not strangers, then you'll either have to use non public galleries. Your options are: a password protecte site, password protected galleries, private galleries (where you send out the link) or sharegroup galleries (where you send out the link).

If only you are ordering prints from your galleries, then you can leave prints ordering disabled, enable it before you place your own order, then disable it after the order is placed.

Thanks for the clarification.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Hello Patti,
    my understanding is that if you have not set prices and therefore the prints are being purchased at the default settings then you will not receive any notification.

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    Hello Patti,
    my understanding is that if you have not set prices and therefore the prints are being purchased at the default settings then you will not receive any notification.

Caroline

Caroline you are assuming that Patti has a Pro account, which may not be the case.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    bham wrote:
    Caroline you are assuming that Patti has a Pro account, which may not be the case.

Could you please clarify the position then for both mine and Patti's benefit ?
    Thanks
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    bham wrote:

You're right. I don't have a Pro account. :photoI barely know how to use my camera!

patti hinton photography