gradient tool on masks

sweetsweet Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 23, 2007 in Finishing School
Hey ya'll, so I've recently been noticing that I'm no longer able to use the gradient tool on a mask more than once. To make what I'm saying clearer here's an example: suppose you've put a curves layer designed to darken the image over the master file. In the past if I wanted to use the gradient tool to lighten the top and bottom quarters I could do so, but now if I use the gradient tool on the top quarter and try to do the same on the bottom quarter the first gradient is replaced rather than added to the second gradient. :huh I hope someone undertstands what I'm getting at. Thank you.

Comments

• edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    sweet wrote:
    Hey ya'll, so I've recently been noticing that I'm no longer able to use the gradient tool on a mask more than once. To make what I'm saying clearer here's an example: suppose you've put a curves layer designed to darken the image over the master file. In the past if I wanted to use the gradient tool to lighten the top and bottom quarters I could do so, but now if I use the gradient tool on the top quarter and try to do the same on the bottom quarter the first gradient is replaced rather than added to the second gradient. eek7.gif I hope someone undertstands what I'm getting at. Thank you.
    Apply your gradient in "Lighten" mode.
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski
  • Graphics23Graphics23 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Set your gradient to "foreground to transparent".

It's the second choice in the gradient picker.

Regards,

Michael
    Michael D. Aery, KSC | Prepress Manager
    Graphics23 - Design, Illustration, Restoration & Retouching

What's a Pirate's favorite color mode? Arrrr, G, B!
  • sweetsweet Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 23, 2007
    Thank you.