Help! I heard you guys were brutally honest!

babylemkebabylemke Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited June 22, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'd like some feedback on my photos... I'll take anything you've got! I'd like to know what would make these pix better, and ultimately, which one I should enter in the Joy/Sorrow contest.

I'm a beginner photographer that - knowing the next contest was "sorrow" - was smart enough to bring my camera to my son's well baby appointment because I knew he'd be getting shots! How horrible is THAT? Please - no "bad mommy" comments! :nono I already feel sheepish enough!:rolleyes

Thanks in advance for your feedback!:bow

164706668-M.jpg
164706894-M.jpg

164707297-M.jpg

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Nice job with these. I like the first the best. He looks so small on the table and you did a good job catching the bandaid. I'm not crazy about the sepia tone. Try black and white instead and see how that does. Might need a slight rotation and tiny bit of crop on either side.
    E
  • StrikeslipStrikeslip Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    Hi,

I like the first one best, it does a nice job of showing the environment. I would crop the left to the wire on the instrument holder and crop off half the empty space on the right. I think it's also important to use the entire 800 pixels allowed on the long dimension of your entry.

Maybe you could recover some highlights?
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    I personally like #2. But I'm not crazy about your sepia. On my screen it looks almost purplish. I would suggest trying a couple different kinds of Sepia or B&W conversions.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    I am with Strikeslip, either a 3x4 or a 4x5 crop out of the center of #1 looks like the best choice to me. Also, I think a straight B&W treatment will serve both the shot and the theme better than the sepia.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    I would have liked #2 sitting on the bed of #1....

I like the emotion expressed in #2, but I like the length/crop of #1 also it gives the viewer more visual to the tell.

I would say try b/w, the tone here almosts has hues of purplish/red (but then I'm on my crappy monitor in my office...grrrr)

Good luck in whichever you choose...
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • 3phase3phase Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    I like the sequence of events that you show with these shots.

The lollipop in #3 means so much more because we saw #1 & #2. We also have a better idea of what is going on in #2 & #3 because we've seen the medical equipment on the wall in #1. We might be able to guess in #2 & #3 that these are taking place in a doctor's office, but having #1 certainly helped. If I had to pick one - I'd say #1.

(BTW kudos for taking your camera, hope he feels better)