edited June 23, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
This bird has flown

165399026-O.jpg

C&C welcome!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    This is one of the most haunting photographs I have seen so far. I keep looking at it and trying to figure out the story. A child grown, graduated and left to make her way in the world? A woman who disappeared with the dawn never to return? Whatever, I feel as though the man is experiencing real sorrow. Not just temporary sadness.

On the technical side, I was bothered at first by all the brightness in the lower left hand quadrant, but I have decided it works. The only thing I would change would be to clone out the dark spots in the window over the subject's left hand shoulder.

Virginia

Email
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Virginia,
    Flyinggina wrote:
    This is one of the most haunting photographs I have seen so far. I keep looking at it and trying to figure out the story. A child grown, graduated and left to make her way in the world? A woman who disappeared with the dawn never to return? Whatever, I feel as though the man is experiencing real sorrow. Not just temporary sadness.

On the technical side, I was bothered at first by all the brightness in the lower left hand quadrant, but I have decided it works. The only thing I would change would be to clone out the dark spots in the window over the subject's left hand shoulder.

Virginia

Thank you, appreciate it! I cleaned and reuploaded, please press F5 to refresh.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    I like it Nik once I knew what was going on. It's a great subject. The brightness made it difficult for me to tell what I was seeing. My first impression? I thought it was a bedside shot in a hospital where someone had died (seriously!). You can tell I've had way too many hospital visits in my past. :cry Advice? Well, you're the master thinker at this stuff!!! I think I might choose my title very carefully. I get the idea that Dad (you?) is melancholy about the bird leaving the nest, but I'm just at first a little vague that what I am looking at is a graduation cap and gown. Hope this helps.
    edited June 22, 2007
    Susan,
    saurora wrote:
    I like it Nik once I knew what was going on. It's a great subject. The brightness made it difficult for me to tell what I was seeing. My first impression? I thought it was a bedside shot in a hospital where someone had died (seriously!). You can tell I've had way too many hospital visits in my past. :cry Advice? Well, you're the master thinker at this stuff!!! I think I might choose my title very carefully. I get the idea that Dad (you?) is melancholy about the bird leaving the nest, but I'm just at first a little vague that what I am looking at is a graduation cap and gown. Hope this helps.

Thank you!
    Their graduation gowns were white, so I was kinda playing on multiple meanings, hence the ultra bright whites (heaven?;-).
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    Try holding the mortarboard. That will give it a bit more prominance and make the story clearer. Ideally hold it in a place where it will have good contrast with the background. If you can arrange it, showing your daughter getting in a car to leave out the window would be a nice addition.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    Honestly, while I think you could make the meaning clearer, the photo is just beautiful as is. I wouldn't change it at all... I like the ambiguousness of it! It forces you to look harder and harder - thus making the image stronger, IMHO.

Beautiful!
    edited June 22, 2007
    Ken,
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Try holding the mortarboard. That will give it a bit more prominance and make the story clearer. Ideally hold it in a place where it will have good contrast with the background. If you can arrange it, showing your daughter getting in a car to leave out the window would be a nice addition.
    Thank you!
    I was trying to hold the diploma, but it was not self-explanatory.
    I'll play with the mortarboard, good idea!
    Adding the daughter and the car - well, that would be a stretch, since I would have been either saying goodbye or, as it was, driving the car, but in any case, not sitting all by me lonesome...
    edited June 22, 2007
    Andi,
    Honestly, while I think you could make the meaning clearer, the photo is just beautiful as is. I wouldn't change it at all... I like the ambiguousness of it! It forces you to look harder and harder - thus making the image stronger, IMHO.

Beautiful!
    Thank you, appreciate it! thumb.gif
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    I really like this shot, and I believe what I am looking at is a ...Sad Father whose child has graduated and left the nest?

My thought here is that the "graduation" gown needs a bit more detail and contrast to further impact your title

Nice work.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited June 22, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    I really like this shot, and I believe what I am looking at is a ...Sad Father whose child has graduated and left the nest?

My thought here is that the "graduation" gown needs a bit more detail and contrast to further impact your title

Nice work.

You are correct:-) My oldest daughter just graduated and since she has enrolled into the summer class, she left already. House seems half empty..
    Thank you for the feedback, I will play more with it tomorrow...
  • UP N MTNSUP N MTNS Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    It works for me, very nice....
    Tug at a single thing in nature, and you will find it connected to the universe.
    John Muir
    edited June 22, 2007
    UP N MTNS wrote:
    It works for me, very nice....
    Thank you! thumb.gif
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    The more I look at this photo the more I like it. clap.gifclapclap.gif My only concern is if the judges will spend the same amount of time looking at it and enjoying it?
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    Agree with all said... The window frame protruding from the back of the head is distracting... IMHO

Winston
  • StrikeslipStrikeslip Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    Aw, that is sad, Nikolai. :cry

I have a 5 year old girl, and an 8 year old girl who'll be 9 tomorrow! Time is flying and my wife and I often get weepy at the thought of them leaving for university. Our plan is to get them to go to one nearby so they can still be close.

Curses on you, now I'm getting misty. :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry
    edited June 22, 2007
    Peter,
    pemmett wrote:
    The more I look at this photo the more I like it. clap.gifclapclap.gif My only concern is if the judges will spend the same amount of time looking at it and enjoying it?

Thank you, appreciate it! thumb.gif
    I guess we'll never know unless I submit it, eh?;-) mwink.gif
    edited June 22, 2007
    Winston,
    Agree with all said... The window frame protruding from the back of the head is distracting... IMHO

Winston

Thank you, appreciate the comment, I'll see what I can do...
    edited June 22, 2007
    Strikeslip wrote:
    Aw, that is sad, Nikolai. :cry

I have a 5 year old girl, and an 8 year old girl who'll be 9 tomorrow! Time is flying and my wife and I often get weepy at the thought of them leaving for university. Our plan is to get them to go to one nearby so they can still be close.

Curses on you, now I'm getting misty. :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

Thanks! thumb.gif
    After a lot of thinking about it I decided that it's in her best interests NOT to be close to home, so she can grow as an individual and do not rely on daddy fixing every slightest mishap.
    edited June 22, 2007
    I'm gonna go with this one
    This Bird Has Flown

165639535-O.jpg

Appreciate everybody's input, positive and negative alike!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    I like it! thumb.gif In your latest version, I see a lot more posterizing (??) on your arm, leg and lower shirt. I didn't notice this before, so I thought I'd mention it. Since the rest of the shot doesn't seem to have that effect (meaning, it doesn't appear you were going for that overall look) I wasn't sure if you'd consider this a distraction? Anyway, I really enjoy the mood of this shot. Can I say that when it's obviously about "sorrow"? I think it's just something most people can relate to on some level.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    I dig the latest version--I like the textures a lot. I'm not crazy about the hot white window light, though. It seems a bit out of balance with the rest of the image.

:D

Jesse
    edited June 23, 2007
    Elaine,
    Elaine wrote:
    I like it! thumb.gif In your latest version, I see a lot more posterizing (??) on your arm, leg and lower shirt. I didn't notice this before, so I thought I'd mention it. Since the rest of the shot doesn't seem to have that effect (meaning, it doesn't appear you were going for that overall look) I wasn't sure if you'd consider this a distraction? Anyway, I really enjoy the mood of this shot. Can I say that when it's obviously about "sorrow"? I think it's just something most people can relate to on some level.

Thank you, fixed, please refresh your cache (Ctrl+F5).
    edited June 23, 2007
    Jesse,
    indiegirl wrote:
    I dig the latest version--I like the textures a lot. I'm not crazy about the hot white window light, though. It seems a bit out of balance with the rest of the image.

:D

Jesse

Thanks! thumb.gif

All I needed from the window was the light, so I decided to skip all the details over there.
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    Hey Nikolai! I see you entered and just wanted to let you know your title is misspelled. Brid instead of Bird.

:ivar

Good luck, superstar.
    edited June 23, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    Hey Nikolai! I see you entered and just wanted to let you know your title is misspelled. Brid instead of Bird.

:ivar

Good luck, superstar.

Duh... :bash
    Thanks, Jess, fixed, much obliged! thumb.gif