Options

Assignment #41: Half-Moon

124»

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Here's mine with a 200mm 100% crop, daytime.
    Wow, not bad for a day time! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Wow, not bad for a day time! thumb.gif

Thanks! I was rather impressed when I got home, it is the first decent moon picture I have taken. The moon Seems easy, but it's really rather tough to photo well.

Full moon coming, so I'm going to try some night shots @ 400mm wings.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 27, 2008
    From this morn...
    I looked over some of the assignments early this morn then set out to do a few. Lick would have it that the moon was still out at 6am (aprox time) and it was half. Used my tamron 500mm with settings as follows
    iso 200
    sspeed 1/1000
    fstop 6.3
    focal length 500mm
    crop 56%
    ran a contrast booster because it was so faint in the sky...but it caused noise. The original is below the first one...

302405236_RXunH-L.jpg

302413068_4D4qU-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    I looked over some of the assignments early this morn then set out to do a few. Lick would have it that the moon was still out at 6am (aprox time) and it was half. Used my tamron 500mm with settings as follows
    iso 200
    sspeed 1/1000
    fstop 6.3
    focal length 500mm
    crop 56%
    ran a contrast booster because it was so faint in the sky...but it caused noise. The original is below the first one...
    Jag,
    thank you for the entry!
    I must say, shooting the moon when it's already that bright is pretty much a lost battle, unless you can afford to keep it in its faint mode. However, I'm interested to see what your 500mm can do during a clear dark night (especially if you have an extender:-)
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 27, 2008
    your welcome
    Nikolai wrote:
    Jag,
    thank you for the entry!
    I must say, shooting the moon when it's already that bright is pretty much a lost battle, unless you can afford to keep it in its faint mode. However, I'm interested to see what your 500mm can do during a clear dark night (especially if you have an extender:-)

This one was taken in march at night with the 500mm lens. Sorry for the small size...This was a copy of the original and then made web worthy for another site.
    302425626_xadA6-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    egiesker wrote:
    moon and a tree
    While the final image is nice, you're breaking the rules of engagement. For the most assigments only moderate post processing is allowed. Compositing is definitely beyond that border:-)
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 22, 2008
    Does that mean this one is disallowed also Nick?

439255898_F8uUm-XL.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Does that mean this one is disallowed also Nick?
    It's more in on a full side Jim:-)
  • Options
    egieskeregiesker Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    While the final image is nice, you're breaking the rules of engagement. For the most assigments only moderate post processing is allowed. Compositing is definitely beyond that border:-)

My bad! Being new, how do l remove it? Thanks, Ernie
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    egiesker wrote:
    My bad! Being new, how do l remove it? Thanks, Ernie
    No worries. Leave it. Submit a correct one in a new post.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 22, 2008
    Isn't this assignment expired? headscratch.gif I don't usually venture in this forum, so maybe I don't know the rulz.

IMG_9261.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Isn't this assignment expired? headscratch.gif I don't usually venture in this forum, so maybe I don't know the rulz.
    Never does, F-stop! As long as the piccie is fresh :-) mwink.gif
    Good one! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    Big, Big, Moon
    Substitute for layered shots entered earlier.3131136131_dfef3d7b96_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    egiesker wrote:
    Substitute for layered shots entered earlier.
    Not exactly a requested half-moon shot:-), but a cool shot anyway! What did you take it with?
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Big, Big, Moon
    Nikolai wrote:
    Not exactly a requested half-moon shot:-), but a cool shot anyway! What did you take it with?
    Jeeeeeez! I can't win Nikolai.... Actually it is a shot of the half Moon, just real close up. Taken with a Sony A700 attached to my 20" telescope or you might say a 2540mm lens:D. Have a great day, Ernie
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    egiesker wrote:
    Jeeeeeez! I can't win Nikolai.... Actually it is a shot of the half Moon, just real close up. Taken with a Sony A700 attached to my 20" telescope or you might say a 2540mm lens:D. Have a great day, Ernie
    2540mm.. eek7.gif Nice! thumb.gif Can you get Apollo landing (or Lunokhod) with it? mwink.gif
  • Options
    JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    I know this is "late," but I've just started trying these assignments.

I've tried 100+ shots just tonight with all different settings; handheld, tripod, delay fire, etc. I always wind up with the best exposure at the same settings. Moderate PP, don't know what 100% crop means, but this is the best I could do getting rid of negative space without making the moon look like a mottled, squished-up blob.

3252150836_bbbd5d0fce_o.jpg

Taken with a Sony A200, 75-300mm, 1/400 sec. f/5.6. This one was handheld. The moon is almost directly overhead, and it's been 25 years since I've done a backbend (I'm glad it's dark so the neighbors wouldn't wonder what I was up to) so it's the best I could get. I'm having a blast trying to learn this stuff, but I'm just getting to know my camera. This is my first photo post, and I told myself I'd lurk for years before I posted anything. This was a big step. Constructive criticism is appreciated!

Sarah
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2009
    I know this is "late," but I've just started trying these assignments.

I've tried 100+ shots just tonight with all different settings; handheld, tripod, delay fire, etc. I always wind up with the best exposure at the same settings. Moderate PP, don't know what 100% crop means, but this is the best I could do getting rid of negative space without making the moon look like a mottled, squished-up blob.

Taken with a Sony A200, 75-300mm, 1/400 sec. f/5.6. This one was handheld. The moon is almost directly overhead, and it's been 25 years since I've done a backbend (I'm glad it's dark so the neighbors wouldn't wonder what I was up to) so it's the best I could get. I'm having a blast trying to learn this stuff, but I'm just getting to know my camera. This is my first photo post, and I told myself I'd lurk for years before I posted anything. This was a big step. Constructive criticism is appreciated!

Sarah

Sarah, congratulations on losing you "lurker" status. clap.gif The image looks fairly decent considering the gear you had to use. thumb.gif