Options

72dpi vs 300dpi

christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited June 22, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll ask here and see if it gets moved.

I have been processing my shots for the web and saving them at 72 dpi with the longest side at 750 pixels. I now have a problem, I think.

I have decided to finally print some shots and realised that possibly my work flow wasn't that good.

If I simply open my 72 dpi images and then save them as 300 dpi, will this effect the quality of the subsequent print? (i.e. going form 72 to 300), or should I be saving the shots (after modification) as 300 dpi (so I can print them if I want) and then resizing them (saving as a different file name) to 72 for my smugmug page?

Am I making sense?

Additionally, What size will a 72dpi image print at with good quality?

Thanks
C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D

Comments

• Options
    GKPGKP Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    christulk wrote:
    Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll ask here and see if it gets moved.

I have been processing my shots for the web and saving them at 72 dpi with the longest side at 750 pixels. I now have a problem, I think.

I have decided to finally print some shots and realised that possibly my work flow wasn't that good.

If I simply open my 72 dpi images and then save them as 300 dpi, will this effect the quality of the subsequent print? (i.e. going form 72 to 300), or should I be saving the shots (after modification) as 300 dpi (so I can print them if I want) and then resizing them (saving as a different file name) to 72 for my smugmug page?

Am I making sense?

Additionally, What size will a 72dpi image print at with good quality?

Thanks

Changing the DPI from 72 to 300 on an image thats lets say 700 X 700 pixels (square for simplicity) is only going to change a 9.7 X 9.7 inch Low Quality print into a 2.3 inch by 2.3 inch print. I say low quality because most printers print at 300dpi. Remember DPI is like a blueprint for the printer to know what size to print it at.

if the image is 100 pixels high and 100 pixels wide. and you print it out to be 1 inch by one inch its 100 DPI. Change the DPI to 50 and its still a 100 X 100 pixel image.. just when you print it, it will be 2 inches by 2 inches. Change it to 25 DPI and its 4 inches by 4 inches. In any case it will always be 100 pixels by 100 pixels unless you resize it.

So your answer will be no, you can not just change the DPI back. You need to upload bigger files x by y that is.

In fact forget DPI and just go with the resolution.

Here are the minimums

http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality#minprintres

Cheers,

-G
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    Hi Chris, as mentioned above; For printing through SmugMug you can ignore the DPI settings. Make sure your images meet the minimum resolution requirements. These are the minimum resolution requirements, preferably the image exceeds these. For uploading to SmugMug we recommend you use the original, non-resized resolution files thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I shall upload originals from now on.

Still a little confused. In order to show you something - how do I take a 'photo' or make a copy of something that appears on my screen so I can post it here?
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    christulk wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. I shall upload originals from now on.

Still a little confused. In order to show you something - how do I take a 'photo' or make a copy of something that appears on my screen so I can post it here?

Under windows:
    Make sure you see what you want us to show you, and hit the 'print screen' button. Then, go to a photo editing program (even paint will do) and paste (ctrl+v) the data in a new image. Save it, make sure you save it as non-bmp, then either attach it, or upload it to SmugMug and link it.

Under Mac:
    Hit cmd+4, select what you want us to see. File will be on your desktop. Attach or upload to Smug and link it thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2007
    Thanks Ivar,

Will have to do it tomorrow, am going out for tea with my wife (without the kids):D
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris