Trying to decide on a compact digital camera

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited June 29, 2007 in Cameras
I'd like to get a compact digital camera to use when it's not practical to tote a 20D around. The number of megapixels is not important but I would like it to have a decent flash. Most I've looked at have a working range of about 10-11 feet at wide angle and that's just plain wimpy! I'd like one with a working range of 16 feet or more. :davidto

Any recommendations?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,076 moderator
    edited June 22, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    I'd like to get a compact digital camera to use when it's not practical to tote a 20D around. The number of megapixels is not important but I would like it to have a decent flash. Most I've looked at have a working range of about 10-11 feet at wide angle and that's just plain wimpy! I'd like one with a working range of 16 feet or more. :davidto

Any recommendations?
    There are several ways to think about flash and P&S cameras:

More powerful on-board flash. You might find a slight variation in output from model to model, and from maker to maker, but I wouldn't base a purchase decision on that alone.

Better high-ISO performance. The Fuji F30 and F31fd are so accomplished at low-noise high-ISO, that the relatively small flash has considerably better reach than those cameras with poor and unusable high-ISO. This also allows faster recycling and longer battery run times.

External flash. Some P&S cameras have a hot shoe, most don't. If it does have a hot shoe, you can mount an inexpensive non-dedicated auto flash and greatly improve your indoor photography. Some cameras allow dedicated flashes, which may even allow more control.

Even if the camera doesn't allow for a connected external flash, you can get a "digital" slave flash which allows for a pre-flash, or you can even get a Wein slave unit which allows any auto or manual flash to be used with most digital cameras.

Lots of choices, but the simplest solution is the Fuji F30/F31fd series of cameras.

Here is my son, at his 8th grade graduation in 2003. Kodak DXC3900, 3 MPix camera, using a slave triggered handle-mount auto flash. (It was the best I had in digital at the time.) Flash is direct, but because it is high and to our right, it is much more pleasing than the onboard flash would have been.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    Thanks
    This is exactly this kind of information I was looking for. :D Except for the part about the Fuji cameras. :cry We just tossed a Fuji E550 due to problems. When it corrupted the 512 MB xD card it was the last straw.

I guess I just have to read the reviews and specs to see which cameras have good image quality at high ISO settings. ne_nau.gif With the bad luck we just had I'm not too keen on getting another Fuji.
  • DesmondDesmond Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    This is exactly this kind of information I was looking for. :D Except for the part about the Fuji cameras. :cry We just tossed a Fuji E550 due to problems. When it corrupted the 512 MB xD card it was the last straw.

I guess I just have to read the reviews and specs to see which cameras have good image quality at high ISO settings. ne_nau.gif With the bad luck we just had I'm not too keen on getting another Fuji.

They wouldn't be around still if they were all like that . Any camera can give problems and you will get a bad copy in any make , who knows , maybe something you did caused the problems [ exposure to magnetic field etc.]. The f30 and F31d were compared to the 400d on dpreview they were so highly regarded as to high iso , the conclusion was that they have a totally useable iso 800 . If you feel so strongly about it get a canon SD700IS with built in image stabilisation , but they can also fail one dayne_nau.gif
    Nikon D80 , D50 , SB600 , SB800 , Nikon 18-200VR , Tamron 28-75 di 2.8 , Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 , Nikon 50mm 1.8 . Tamron 17-50 f2.8 , Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 .
  • sosamantxsosamantx Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 29, 2007
    well, for what it's worth. i recently bought a refurbished camera (Z740) from kodak, after i dropped my hp camera (which i liked alot), that still works. i don't know if any of these fit into what your looking for, just thought i'd post. to date, this is the best camera that i have ever had. maybe, when i grow up i'll get a good camera like you all!! :P

fyi, i saved over $130, rather than buying a new camera, and i still have the same warranty as a new camera. also, i wanted a new camera (since i dropped the other one), so that we can take to hawaii, @ 2 mos. from now.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/19/4177&pq-locale=en_US <-- refurbished cameras

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-locale=en_US&pq-path=6547 <-- Z740