Options

Newcomers group ?

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited February 17, 2005 in The Big Picture
I do know that some people are having trouble making connections. I know that.

I have been worrying over it. Just thought of this, perhaps a group for people who join at a particular time, say the 2005 group, or the Spring Group, with a moderator for jams.

That way people who are having trouble connecting with the old timers, I mean we, none of us, can be everywhere at once. But people who come in around the same time would have a group within which to make their own "cliques". Not a word I like, but a word that I have heard.

The only problem with suggesting something like this is that I do not want to be the moderator. You all know I am technologically impaired.

One reason there might be a need for this now is that we have brought in many people, of many levels and different needs. Those who have a need to connect might find this useful.

Just an idea,

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    That's a nice thought, Ginger. I think that with time, everyone assimilates into the larger group. Newbiness isn't a permanent condition. :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    n00b-iness isn't a permanent condition. :D

fixed.
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    I don't think it's newbiness so much as a lack of attention from some of the old-schoolers to look at a newcomer's work (not that this is intentional or malicious), at least it seems to be that way sometimes. At first I was put off, it seemed like I was trying really hard to comment as much as possible, and as well as possible, on other's work when I came on here, and didn't seem to be getting the same feedback. I took Andy's point of "you get as much as you give" motto to heart there.

It's getting better for sure, and really it's all human nature.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    I like to think that Dgrin is a pretty welcomming group. I try to comment on new folks stuff and welcome them to the forum etc. I will say that I tend to comment most in the nature forum. That's the kind of work I like to do and the kind I feel qualified to discuss in greater depth.

Dont mistake the joking around that goes on between people that have been here a long time for exclusion. It just takes time to get to know everyone.

For any of the new people that feel left out... please just keep jumpin in and sharring your stuff and reading all the posts and pretty soon everyone will know you and you will know everyone.
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    I like to think that Dgrin is a pretty welcomming group. I try to comment on new folks stuff and welcome them to the forum etc. I will say that I tend to comment most in the nature forum. That's the kind of work I like to do and the kind I feel qualified to discuss in greater depth.

Dont mistake the joking around that goes on between people that have been here a long time for exclusion. It just takes time to get to know everyone.

For any of the new people that feel left out... please just keep jumpin in and sharring your stuff and reading all the posts and pretty soon everyone will know you and you will know everyone.
    yes, I totally agree with you. and I understand about being comfortable about one genre over another. I certainly steer clear of motorbikes and car shots! lol

I don't think I've misinterpreted any joking or anything. I didn't even bring that up. :) Most of this just came from the challenge forum, that's all. Like I said, it's feeling better. :D
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    w00t Andy has the L33T language going clap.gifD
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 15, 2005
    I too think this might be helpful. I've been trying to keep up with the various posts and reading as many other comments as possible in order to learn more about the things everyone looks at as well as offer my own comments. It is difficult to see everything and expect everyone else to comment on your own work.
    I would dare to suggest that perhaps we could offer up a "newbie" category in the challenges as well. Thanks G for thinking of this.
  • Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    My first thought on this, is that it will create more segregation so to speak.

The ultimate goal is to have one big group here. That's how it should be. If you put the n00b's into one category (i would probably belong there) then you are now setting the seperation from the get go.

When is one able to leave the "n00b" group? And also, as a "Regular" it is much easier to in advertantly avoid the "n00b" section because it is just that... a "Seperate" section.

my 2 cents
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 15, 2005
    I have a dream folks, that some day all of us n00b's and old alike will walk hand in hand...

rolleyes1.gif

Seriously though, that's what forum's are for, join in! You think dgrin is intimidating? Even now it's puny in size compared to Advrider (motorcycle sister site) when I joined a little over a year ago. I don't get kicked around over there toooo much anymore...

lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    My first thought on this, is that it will create more segregation so to speak.

The ultimate goal is to have one big group here. That's how it should be. If you put the n00b's into one category (i would probably belong there) then you are now setting the seperation from the get go.

When is one able to leave the "n00b" group? And also, as a "Regular" it is much easier to in advertantly avoid the "n00b" section because it is just that... a "Seperate" section.

my 2 cents
    I don't think this is about segregation as much as it is an understanding of anyone's individual level of ability. Perhaps a marker / icon one could choose to have at their avatar - when I first jioned I had "beginner grinner" but that disappeared on its own. Couple a designation with a dedicated moderator to look after us and we might be on to something.
    There's another side of this (at the risk of seemingly more segregationist): Not everyone uses a mac or photoshop, so we get advice and suggestions we can't necessarily act upon. Whatever happens I love being a member of this site and have enjoyed all the feedback I've received. Thank you.
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    Not everyone uses a mac or photoshop

You're kidding, right???

Please don't rattle my world, Angelo! ;)

Personally, I've been extremely impressed by how attentive the old-school dgrinners are to the new kids. In my short time here, I've never seen a first post go by where a handful of long time regulars don't comment and welcome. The fact that ginger is concerned enough about it to start a discussion about how to better integrate new people is awesome, and evidence of a healthy on-line community, IMO.

One of the things that I love about dgrin is that pros, amateurs, and hacks all hang out in the same place, and comment and critique accordingly. I'd be afraid a forum for the new kids might make it harder for them to integrate, not easier.

When my friend turned me onto this site I was just looking for advice on a lens. I had no idea it was going to become a daily obsession.

And where else can you follow a first-rate Australian internet soap opera?
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    pseudonympseudonym Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    I gotta agree with the folk who are saying how welcoming and accommodating Dgrin is of us NooB dweebs.

I myself am a complete cluster when it comes to photography but since I came here I can safely say I am less so now mwink.gif, and this is in no small thanks to the older members here critiquing newcomers thoughts and shots (if not my own then others).

Angelo I really like your idea of a newbie section in the challenges though, I would have to say there is no way I would sumbit a shot of mine to the challenges now, It'd almost feel blasphemous :uhoh, I am just not in that league. However if there was a challenge where it was standard for shots to be by photographers with only little experience and crap gear I might feel like I could participate without bringing down the overall quality :D.

that said I am happy to just watch and learn from the challenges as they are now and start putting my pics in when I feel they are up to that standard (if the internet/people are still around by then rolleyes1.gif.

my .02

Colin
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    Hey look everyone I was just responding to what I thought was a thoughtful post by ginger. and I still believe there is some credibility to the thought but I won't say anything more on the subject... and lest anyone misunderstand my true feelings here is a copy of an earlier post of mine:

Testimonial

It occured to me, at about 03:00 today, I have without question, become a full-fledged DGrin JUNKIE!!!!

I can't eat, sleep or work without having the site up on my computer. At 05:00 this morning, when I would normally be waking to start my day, I realized I had hardly slept thanks to all the info available on this site and referenced sites that I just wanted to keep reading.

I can easily admit I have learned more in the two weeks I've been a member here than in years of photo hobbying.

This site is comprised of a great group of people all of whom are so very willing to assist each other and pat each other on the back. I will continue to find myself challenged to meet the standards upheld amongst true craftsmen. Thanks for the fun... and the bloodshot eyes.

ps: I now own a new flash unit and have nikon capture on order thanks to input from folks here.

Angelo
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    pseudonym wrote:
    I would have to say there is no way I would sumbit a shot of mine to the challenges now, It'd almost feel blasphemous :uhoh, I am just not in that league. However if there was a challenge where it was standard for shots to be by photographers with only little experience and crap gear I might feel like I could participate without bringing down the overall quality :D.

Colin
    Naaaa!!!!!!!!!!! just post what you got . Take the initiative. This place is all about learning and growing not about having a "standard of entry". From your good intentions will come honest and good critiques.
    Jump into the pool ,the water is just fine.:):

Cheers
    Tim