noise

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited July 2, 2007 in Technique
I know this has been asked before but I am not sure I am understanding it all

If you use a higher ISO you will get more noise
If you use a lower ISO you will get less noise
now how does the apeture size affect changing the ISO?
If I use a higher ISO and a smaller aperture how will that affect the noise?
I have been working more with using the manual mode rather than the auto mode and have been noticing a lot more noise in my photos. So I am trying to understand this point once again....

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 23, 2007
    KvPhoto wrote:
    I know this has been asked before but I am not sure I am understanding it all

If you use a higher ISO you will get more noise
    If you use a lower ISO you will get less noise
    now how does the apeture size affect changing the ISO?
    If I use a higher ISO and a smaller aperture how will that affect the noise?
    I have been working more with using the manual mode rather than the auto mode and have been noticing a lot more noise in my photos. So I am trying to understand this point once again....

Noise is a function of ISO. The higher the ISO the higher the noise!

Aperture has no direct effect on noise. Unless....unless, you shoot in Manual mode, and underexpose the image. The noise is larger in the lowest 1/4 of shadow tones - those are the pixels that receive the smallest amounts of light in each pixel well. If they are under exposed, and then pushed in processing - either to jpgs in the camera or from RAW post shoooting, the noise will rise dramatically.

I suspect, if you are getting more noise when shooting in manual mode, that you are underexposing your images.

Photographers tend to have unwarranted faith in the automatic light meter in modern cameras - digital and film. It is a very good idea to know what a proper exposure should be without a meter when shooting outdoors, so that you can compare that with what your meter is saying. You may find you are surprised from time to to time. Sunny 16 works pretty good outdoors as it has been for over 80 years. Try shooting in manual outdoors for a day, using only the Sunny 16 exposure tables, and see how your images look. Maybe the noise will be lessened too. Here is Michael Reichman's advice about Sunny 16 also.

Knowing how to use a light meter and a hisotgram properly is a big help, also. Here is a great article about exposing to the right with your histogram and why it is important.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • emmalouemmalou Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Well.like it or not I am learning!:D
    I played all day yesterday( in between rain storms) with the camera, my new tripod.and this is an amazing list for me to print out and tape to my camera bag.I thank you for this!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 25, 2007
    emmalou wrote:
    Well.like it or not I am learning!:D
    I played all day yesterday( in between rain storms) with the camera, my new tripod.and this is an amazing list for me to print out and tape to my camera bag.I thank you for this!
    Not sure exactly what list you are referring to.

This one perhaps?? For bright sunlight?

23629241-L.jpg

A day spent shooitng in Manual Mode will do wonders for your ability to set and understand exposure. Glad you are enjoying yourself.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    Thanks for the great advice! I have not been able to get back on Dgrin since posting the question. My rebel concked out on me a couple of days ago, in the middle of a photo cruise along the East side of NYC. :cry