Options

Beach Series

DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited June 26, 2007 in Landscapes
My brother and I went out shooting last night... he's just getting into photography (bought himself a Rebel) so we ventured down to a local pier together. Was a PERFECT night...

My shots...

fishin.jpg

loversdelight.jpg

leftalone.jpg

trappedonapier.jpg

and a pic of my brother shooting...

photographersdreamsky.jpg
Amy :D
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

Comments

• Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    any comments? :)
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor

• Options
    christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Hi,

I think the first shot would look stronger if you cropped the cars out. Would be interested to see what it does to the image.
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D
  • Options
    SnarcherSnarcher Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    regarding the picture of the pier, the entire picture is out of focus except for some strange piece of twine?

id rather actually see teh people on hte pier iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    digdon1digdon1 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Fishin
    Re: The 'Fishin' pic. Someone suggested a crop of the cars. I did a quick crop shown below. Although the subject(s) - man and rod are at the very edge of the pic, I think it works. But that's just me. I liked your orginal shot and the others as well. Keep that Rebel with you at all times!!thumb.gif

Don
  • Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    For me, the first one is the strongest. I like Don's crop, but too bad you lose so many of the clouds. Very nice BW conversion on your part, Amy.
  • Options
    gfxartistgfxartist Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    I'd also like to see the people in photo #4 on the pier in focus. I keep trying to squint to make them clear! :D What they are doing would be much more interesting than the piece of string.

I like photo #1 but maybe try cropping only the left vehicle out. The SUV on the right w/ the hatch open makes it appear to belong to the gentleman fishing, and therefore belong to the scene. However I'd like to see the vehicle and the foreground lightened a bit.

Looks like a nice day at the beach!
    ~Laurie~

Canon: 5d Mk III, 5d Mk II, 50d, 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 35/1.4, 70-200/2.8 II, 17-40/4, 24-70/2.8, 100 2.8 macro
    Laurie Bracewell Photography
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    Let's try this crop
    gfxartist wrote:
    I'd also like to see the people in photo #4 on the pier in focus. I keep trying to squint to make them clear! :D What they are doing would be much more interesting than the piece of string.

I like photo #1 but maybe try cropping only the left vehicle out. The SUV on the right w/ the hatch open makes it appear to belong to the gentleman fishing, and therefore belong to the scene. However I'd like to see the vehicle and the foreground lightened a bit.

Looks like a nice day at the beach!

New crop! As per your suggestion, the left vehicle is in (I did remove the commercial message - Chevrolet logo). Actually, I like both of them for different reasons. It does stand out a bit more in B & W!

thumb.gif

Don
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    Hey all...

Thanks so much for looking, and for the comments. I appreciate your thoughts (and attempts) at the crop, but I like it just the way it is :) -- I don't like him so close to the edge, and the cars really are part of what makes that pier the place it is... the fact you can drive right up to your fishing spot.

Here's a couple more from the same evening:

eveningfisherman.jpg

endoftherope.jpg

brooklyn.jpg

aboyandthesea.jpg

• Options
    edited June 26, 2007
    DRabbit wrote:
    Hey all...

Thanks so much for looking, and for the comments. I appreciate your thoughts (and attempts) at the crop, but I like it just the way it is :) -- I don't like him so close to the edge, and the cars really are part of what makes that pier the place it is... the fact you can drive right up to your fishing spot.

Here's a couple more from the same evening:

Hey D

Wasn't my intent to 'improve' your photos - the crops are simply different, not necessarily better. Thanks for sharing. mwink.gif

Don
  • Options
    gfxartistgfxartist Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    What he said. thumb.gif Lovely shots...keep posting! :D
    digdon1 wrote:
    Hey D

Wasn't my intent to 'improve' your photos - the crops are simply different, not necessarily better. Thanks for sharing. mwink.gif

Don
    ~Laurie~

Canon: 5d Mk III, 5d Mk II, 50d, 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 35/1.4, 70-200/2.8 II, 17-40/4, 24-70/2.8, 100 2.8 macro
    Laurie Bracewell Photography
  • Options
    TomasKasparTomasKaspar Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    I like the first one most.
    Tomas
    I don't believe in talent, but I do believe in hard work and passion.:thumb