Options

Canon Telephoto Choice

KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
edited February 21, 2005 in Accessories
Thanks to all that helped me make my decision on the macro lense.

Now I'm in a quandry concerning telephoto. Prime or zoom, that is the question.

I'm between the Canon EF 300mm f/4.0 L IS (I can't afford the f/2.8) and the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS.

I can not go beyond the price of the latter, so please, no suggestions of something more expensive.

This will be for outdoor use, nature, zoos, etc.

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    No 400mm L f/5.6 prime ?

Cheap/light & one of the fastest focusing around from all the info ive read.
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    I've read great reviews on the 100-400L. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

I would imagin someone will post about the Sigma 50-500 (Bigma) which is a good choice to, but if you can pickup another L lense I would go for it.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    No 400mm L f/5.6 prime ?

Cheap/light & one of the fastest focusing around from all the info ive read.
    No IS on that one. I want the freedom of not having to worry whether I can brace myself on something or have to set up a tripod when I take a shot.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    I'm between the Canon EF 300mm f/4.0 L IS (I can't afford the f/2.8) and the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS.

The prime will give better image quality. The zoom will give more flexibility, and more reach (though the prime plus a 1.4TC is same reach). I've heard good and bad about the 100-400. Mostly good. The only bad is it is said to focus slowly.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 14, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    The prime will give better image quality. The zoom will give more flexibility, and more reach (though the prime plus a 1.4TC is same reach). I've heard good and bad about the 100-400. Mostly good. The only bad is it is said to focus slowly.
    The 100-400 has been satisfactory - as you said it is hard to beat the flexibility. I do not like the trombone zoom, but I put up with it because it is so versatile. It is not fast and is slower at 400mm. I have not used it with a Teleconveter because it will be f8 equivalent at 400mm. And I think it pumps air and with the air, dust, into the camera body and onto the sensor. STILL -- I use this lens a fair amount - there is really no true replacement that is any better, or smaller or lighter. Although the 70-300 DO IS IS smaller, and lighter and easier to carry. Not as long of course, but maybe a ittle sharper than the 100-400?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 19, 2005
    Khaos wrote:

I can not go beyond the price of the latter, so please, no suggestions of something more expensive.

Perhaps you can tell us what you'll be using the lens for? That'd help tune
    the recommendation.

The 300mm f/4 would make a fine addition to your collection. The 100-400
    would be a more versatile lens.

Also, if you'll consider a used lens, the choice will open up even more.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    Khaos wrote:

I was in the same spot a short time ago. I bought a Sigma 80-400 os.
    It's big, it's heavy, the focusing is slower than the Canon 100-400is. All that
    being said, I'm happy with it, and it was $400 less the 100-400is.

When I bought my D Reb, the first two lens I got were the 28-135is and the
    70-200L f4. Well I was so impressed with the i.s., that I bought a 75-300is
    used on the FM forums. Once again, Really liking the i.s. I knew that the next
    lens that I bought would have it to. I thought about the Bigma, but trying
    to get a fast enough shutter without a tripod looked like a tough thing to do.

Some folks say that their 80-400os is great wide open. Well, mine isn't, I
    should be at f8 to get the best pic. This is just another option.

One more thing about the focusing. To me, it seems like it focuses much
    like the Canon 75-300is. A lot of people say that it's to slow, I think it's OK.

for pics from this lens go here: http://www.pbase.com/davev/sigma

And just a taste. The moon last night with a Tamron 1.4 tc on board.

Hand Held. 100% crop, some USM and contrasting in post.

39911858.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    What are you shooting with those lenses. My birds went away from my fav spot.

I need to practice with the 300 L f4 is, and I can't get excited.......about more pelicans, etc. We just got our sun back, along with colder weather.

Everything I need to shoot in the next week, I could be using my "new" 17-40 L lens (emotions, a blues festival)

I should have done the moon, I am not going back out on the beach,at night, on purpose, without a buddy, who has to be my husband. I will look up the full moon. The only night I really have is tomorrow night. The moon comes out of the ocean, in the east, but my husband needs his beauty sleep.

our anniversary is tomorrow. I am going to drag him to a blues festival? He is only so/so on them. His birthday is the next day, I am going to drag him downtown to try to get someone showing emotions? We know how he likes tagging along with me. I may get a photo of a grown man crying on his 60th birthday. And all this with the wide angle lens?

For the proper occasions, I do like the 300 L lens, it was a compromise for me, cheaper than the 100-400. I bought an extender which I haven't used yet. (I would get it, get used to it, when you are ready get a bigger heavier lens, sell the 300L, won't go down in value that much, keep all boxes, etc. That is what I would do. This long telephoto with an L lens is a totally different animal than you, or I, were used to.)

My avatar was done with that lens.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 19, 2005
    [hijack]

Ginger, Happy Anniversery! And a Happy Birthday to your husband on the
    occassion of his 60th.

[/hijack]
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    Hi Ginger, I'm still figuring this out...
    ginger_55 wrote:
    What are you shooting with those lenses. My birds went away from my fav spot.

I need to practice with the 300 L f4 is, and I can't get excited.......about more pelicans, etc. We just got our sun back, along with colder weather.

Everything I need to shoot in the next week, I could be using my "new" 17-40 L lens (emotions, a blues festival)

I should have done the moon, I am not going back out on the beach,at night, on purpose, without a buddy, who has to be my husband. I will look up the full moon. The only night I really have is tomorrow night. The moon comes out of the ocean, in the east, but my husband needs his beauty sleep.

our anniversary is tomorrow. I am going to drag him to a blues festival? He is only so/so on them. His birthday is the next day, I am going to drag him downtown to try to get someone showing emotions? We know how he likes tagging along with me. I may get a photo of a grown man crying on his 60th birthday. And all this with the wide angle lens?

For the proper occasions, I do like the 300 L lens, it was a compromise for me, cheaper than the 100-400. I bought an extender which I haven't used yet. (I would get it, get used to it, when you are ready get a bigger heavier lens, sell the 300L, won't go down in value that much, keep all boxes, etc. That is what I would do. This long telephoto with an L lens is a totally different animal than you, or I, were used to.)

My avatar was done with that lens.

ginger
    Hi Ginger. I am so sorry about responding so late. I just found the thread
    display modes. I didn't realize you were responding to me.

I am trying to shoot far away things, mostly wildlife, birds, stuff like that.
    When I get a new lens,(or camera) I go to familar places to try them out,
    and compare with other pics that I have taken. The moon is one of those
    pics for me. I don't know why you'd need to go to the beach for a moon
    shot, I took this lying on my back on our front sidewalk.

Those damn birds, I don't think I can get a big enough lens for them. In the
    winter, they're hard to find. In the summer, they flitter around so much you
    can't get a bead on them.

With the new Sigma 80-400, I have a ton of over lap with the canon 70-200L,
    canon 75-300is, and the sigma. I would think the 2 canon lenses will be
    sold at sometime, but the wife say's to hang on to them until I'm sure the
    sigma can be the "do all" lens.

Congrat's on the anniversary. Ours was the 19th of Feb. We've been married
    for 2 wonderful years. (2 out of 22 ain't bad):D

Anyway, that's my story, and I should be able to tell when someone is
    responding to me now. Geez, I just figured out that some of my replies may
    have looked a little strange. Oh well, life goes on.:):

dave.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.