LPS 7 - Joy

skiahhskiahh Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited June 24, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi all - newbie here. Someone referred me to this site in response to a good photo contest, so here I am. I've got a couple of pictures to choose from; actually my wife took these so she'll register later and post the winner. I've got another I think I'll post that I took, but in the meantime, I thought I'd get a preview and feedback on the two we're not sure about.

#1 - on the arrival of her new trike, she was beside herself while I built it for her. She kept coming over and hugging me as if to say, "faster, Daddy!"

smIMG_2016.jpg

#2. I was heading off to a ceremony last weekend and we were snapping some pics since I don't often wear my full dress unifrom. My daughter toddled over and leaned up and kissed me and my wife happened to snap the picture at exactly the right moment. We both think it says "joy", but we're obviously biased.

smIMG_2031.jpg

So, what say you? And thanks for the advice!

Comments

• ob81ob81 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    Come on sir! It has to be #2. I like it. You can see a slight smile on your daughters face, and that indicates joy to me.

The first one is a good shot, buut may need a lot of editing work. Plus, the first is more of a "normal" shot.
    Take a look at some of the submitted photos for this particular contest you are entering. #1 is great and the family will love it, and casual browsers will enjoy it, but is it worthy of being submitted in the competition? This si how you have to think.

The one with the uniform all the way.
    ob81.com
    Canon XTi

I don't want to take regular photos!
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    I would have to say it would have to be number 2, although I myself might play with the levels/curves, give the edges some sharpening, and give it a crop or so, and perhaps give the b/g some blur to further your visual dof.

All photos taken and entered in the contest (qualifying round) have to be fresh and taken during that theme qualifying time period, and must be accompanied by the exif data and has to be submitted and taken by the photographer submitting the photo.

You might want to read the LPS Rules and Entry Thread.

Good Luck, hope I helped, and Welcome.

Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    What a darling little girl you have!! Very nice photos too. But for the challenge, definitely #2. As is, it is a lovely family shot. But I agree with Donna that it needs a crop to bring us closer to the moment between your daughtr and you and also to eliminate some of the background. If you can blur the background and add just a tiny bit more contrast it would be even better. The goal is to draw our eyes to and keep them focussed on the two of you without distractions. Good luck and welcome!!

Virginia

Email
  • skiahhskiahh Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the inputs! We like #2, but, like I said, we're biased.

How's this:

adjIMG_2031.jpg

Tentacion - I have read the rules and I think everything's OK. My wife took this picture (obviously) and she'll register and post it. I'm just putting it here for the feedback you guys have provided. The one I took that might work, I'll post, so in theory, we'll be competing against each other. Doesn't matter; if we win anything, it all goes into her college account anyway!