First Attempt At Macro Photography

leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
edited June 24, 2007 in Holy Macro
I love to look at macro photos, so I thought I would give it a shot (literally). I read lots of threads on macro photography here at dgrin.com before even trying. I don't have a macro lens (yet...waiting for the Canon 100mm macro lens to be restocked at B&H), so I used my Canon 70-300mm. There was a hatch of dragonflys (?) that were trying out their new wings in the wind drafts, and this one took a bit of a rest on a branch with his back to the wind, hence his wings are forward. You can even see, in shot two, where he grabbed a hold of some abandoned spider web to steady himself. Good for me, because the wind was really blowing, and as you can see, made it hard to get a clear shot. All these pictures were shot in Av Mode, at F/8. Thanks for taking a peek.

165901536-L.jpg
2. Hanging On With Some Web
165901511-L.jpg
3. My first attempt to clone out a leaf (pretty obvious, huh?)
165901460-L.jpg

You can see all of my attempts at this critter here.
Growing with Dgrin

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    These would be good shots even if they weren't your first go- well done. As you have found out bugs are worse than kids for not doing what you want them to from a photography point of view.
    well done. :D:D

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    I love to look at macro photos, so I thought I would give it a shot (literally). I read lots of threads on macro photography here at dgrin.com before even trying. I don't have a macro lens (yet...waiting for the Canon 100mm macro lens to be restocked at B&H), so I used my Canon 70-300mm. There was a hatch of dragonflys (?) that were trying out their new wings in the wind drafts, and this one took a bit of a rest on a branch with his back to the wind, hence his wings are forward. You can even see, in shot two, where he grabbed a hold of some abandoned spider web to steady himself. Good for me, because the wind was really blowing, and as you can see, made it hard to get a clear shot. All these pictures were shot in Av Mode, at F/8. Thanks for taking a peek.

2. Hanging On With Some Web

3. My first attempt to clone out a leaf (pretty obvious, huh?)

You can see all of my attempts at this critter here.

You did very well clap.gif I see Brian's already responded to your post.
    Macro is not as easy to do as it seems, or as the many posts here seem to show. :nono

Wind is not your friend when trying to do Macro's, and neither is Auto Focus most of the time.

Wait till you get your Canon 100mm Macro, then you will happy as Larry, like a pig in mud, shooting everything you come across rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for sharing......... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • MrPartsMrParts Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    I planted an entire wildflower garden just to practice my Macro ... two years later, I can't get a bug to cooperate or the wind to stop blowing!

Takes a lot of patience doesn't it?!
    Enjoy your life, it's the only one you get.
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    Well done! If only my first shots looked as good! thumb.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    Nice i like them.
    And yes i am also not lucky to fing bugs :cry
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery